What's new

What are your "Holy Grails?" (2 Viewers)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
what sort of complications arise with batman, that it was given a snowball's chance in hell ?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Peter M Fitzgerald
[COLOR= black]
Made-for-TV Movies:

THE SAVAGE BEES (1976)
KILLDOZER (1974)
FEAR NO EVIL (1969)
RITUAL OF EVIL (1970)
CODE NAME: HERACLITUS (1967)
THE LAST DINOSAUR (1977)
THE WORLD OF DARKNESS (1977)
THE WORLD BEYOND (1978)
[/COLOR]
The Last Dinosaur is great.

I'd also like to see
-The Ivory Ape starring Jack Palance

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

My holiest of the Holy Grails has to be the 90's incarnation of the Outer Limits. Dare I say I prefer these over the originals.

You must be very young. OL is my favorite show of all time and I tried so hard to like the new ones, really I did. It just wasn't Outer Limits. The producers didn't seem to have the slightest idea as to what made the original show great. OL wasn't about surprise endings, that was Twilight Zone. When they asked the producers what their favorite episode was of the original, their answer (that ran back in the "50s") made it clear they had never even seen the show and were just bastardizing the title. Sorry but this is such a sore topic for me as I waited thru revivals of Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, hoping they would finally revive OL. And when they finally did, it was such a disappointment to me. But at least someone enjoyed them anyway.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Peter M Fitzgerald

[COLOR= black]Hmmmm, my TV-on-DVD "Holy Grails", eh? Let's see now...

1. T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) Through evil means, I was able to finally see this series fairly recently, and it exceeded my high expectations. A tough and gritty pulp-noir action series, starring Robert Loggia as a former "second story" man and circus highwire act, who hires himself out as someone you'd best not mess with.

2. SUSPICION (1957-58) Alfred Hitchcock-produced hour suspense anthology, a dry run for the later ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR.

3. WAY OUT (1961) Roald Dahl's spooky horror/sci-fi anthology series.

4. CORONET BLUE (filmed 1965 / aired 1967) A proto-Jason Bourne type amnesiac spy series, created by Larry Cohen (THE INVADERS, BRANDED).

6. PANIC (1957-58, a.k.a. NO WARNING) Half-hour suspense anthology.

7. ULTRA Q (1966-67, subtitled) A cool Japanese attempt at an OUTER LIMITS-style monster-of-the-week sci-fi/mystery series, which soon spawned the superhero show UTRAMAN.

8. DRAGNET (1951-59, non-PD collections from Universal)

10. THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65)

11. THE IMMORTAL (1970-71) Christopher George is a living "fountain of youth" in a sci-fi spin on THE FUGITIVE.

12. WORLD OF GIANTS (1959) The adventures of an accidentally-shrunken secret service agent.

15. (THE ABC COMEDY HOUR PRESENTS) THE KOPYCATS (1972) Sketch/variety show starring the top impressionists of the day, including Rich Little, Frank Gorshin, Marilyn Michaels, George Kirby and Fred Travelena.

16. JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN (1968-68) Horror/suspense anthology from Hammer Studios.

17. BUS STOP (1961-62)

19. BLUE LIGHT (1966)

22. DARKROOM (1981-82)

Snowball's chance in Hell dept:

BATMAN (1966-68)
WKRP IN [/COLOR][COLOR= black]CINCINNATI [/COLOR][COLOR= black](complete series with the original music)[/COLOR][COLOR= black]
SCTV (the rest of the early years, and the final (Cinemax) season)[/COLOR]

These "holy grail" series need to be continued to the end:

DRAGNET (1966-70)
RAWHIDE
THE FUGITIVE

ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (1955-62)
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER
Peter, that's a great list. A couple of them, The Westerner and Maverick I no longer have on my want list as I recorded them from their runs on Encore Western Channel. The Mavericks have all of the bumpers cut out but even if they do come out, I'm sure that's how Warner remastered them and they would be the same way on a DVD release.
I kind of avoided putting some of those shows on my list because frankly I don't think they would be familiar to 99% of the people. But in reality, Bus Stop and Way Out would be at the very top of my list as they are both fantastic shows. The Immortal is also a personal favorite and I love Coronet Blue and T.H.E. Cat as well. A few others I would add to your excellent list would be The Lieutenant (Gene Roddenberry's first series), The Eleventh Hour and Slattery's People. Who knows, maybe if Warner ever gets around to doing burn on demand with it's TV library, maybe we'll see the first two. Although by the time they got to those shows, it might be 2030.

Real Name
Duh.
"In the Heat of the Night"
"The Wonder Years"
"Batman"
(60's Adam West)

And a personal absolute favorite comedy show, "The Norm Show". Hilarious, ran for three or four seasons, but suffered from piss poor advertisement on the part of ABC, and lack of them caring about the show.

Shows that not everybody else would be interested in:

"7 Days"

"Time Trax"

And finally, I wish someone would give "Gunsmoke" proper attention. These slow-to-be-released few episodes per DVD releases are pathetic. At this rate it would take 50 years to get the whole series out, and it would cost a hell of a pretty penny. By then the masters will likely be gone, and the target audience, dead or too small to profit from.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
-Time Trax
-7 Days
-Mission Impossible (2nd series)
-Untouchables (90's version)
-Vengeance Unlimited

Without a doubt, the original eight part version of Roots with the original opening titles and scenes and end credits. I would like to see the drama of the story divided into episodes the way in which they were originally presented.

LizH

Second Unit
Max Headroom! )

TV-Movies:

The Stepford Children (Starring Barbara Eden, 1987)
Mrs. Sundance (Starring Elizabeth Montgomery)

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
DRAGNET, years 1968-70

BATMAN (Adam West version)_

THE DEAN MARTIN VARIETY SHOW (complete shows, or more compilation volumes in addition to the 28 compilation volumes already released by Guthy-Renker)

TV episodes starring (or at least featuring in a stubstantial supporting role) James Dean, in addition to those already released

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

You must be very young. OL is my favorite show of all time and I tried so hard to like the new ones, really I did. It just wasn't Outer Limits. The producers didn't seem to have the slightest idea as to what made the original show great. OL wasn't about surprise endings, that was Twilight Zone. When they asked the producers what their favorite episode was of the original, their answer (that ran back in the "50s") made it clear they had never even seen the show and were just bastardizing the title. Sorry but this is such a sore topic for me as I waited thru revivals of Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, hoping they would finally revive OL. And when they finally did, it was such a disappointment to me. But at least someone enjoyed them anyway.
Actually I'm 35. I think the reason I enjoy the new OL so much is because they feel like little action-packed hard-core sci-fi movies whereas the originals were sort of slow moving and ponderous dramas with sci-fi elements. I always thought the original show tried too hard to be another Twilight Zone. I love the original TZ and I think that show has some of the best writing of any show in ANY genre.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Originally Posted by jimmyjet ">[/url]

what sort of complications arise with batman, that it was given a snowball's chance in hell ? [/QUOTE]There are [i]lots[/i] of rights issues involved, detailed here:

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
boy, talk about too many cooks in the kitchen.

should be an easy system of whoever owns the media, has the right to distribute it.

LCD22

Screenwriter
MacGyver: Lost Treasure of Atlantis/Trail to Doomsday - I'm still waiting for a separate release.
Early Edition - Like the first two, the final two seasons presented as originally broadcast with all of the music intact, and the Rod Serling ending for "Hot Time in the Old Town" as an extra.
The Fall Guy - Not likely due to Season 1's extremely low sales - even for Shout, but it's worth mentioning: Seasons 2-5 with ALL of the original music intact.
Danger Bay
Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place (with ALL of the original broadcast music intact)
Promised Land - The same treatment "Early Edition" has received thus far, with all the music cleared (for example, there were at least three usage of "The Twilight Zone" theme in the first season episode "Leap of Faith") -- including "Vengeance Is Mine"/"Saving Grace", the final crossover with "Touched by an Angel" and also "Promises to Keep", the concluding crossover with "Diagnosis Murder" as bonuses.
Peacemakers
Legend (if the Crash Test Dummies song is secured, I'll buy it)
Jake 2.0 (if the original broadcast music is intact, I'll buy it)
Flash Forward
Mysterious Ways
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1980) - A remastered release for this TV movie adaptation with Jeff Goldblum as Ichabod Crane.
A&E's Live by Request: Phil Collins (1998 TV special)
Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family (with the original broadcast music and the opening/closing credits intact)
The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
Beyond 2000 - I would also love to see again the Henry Tenenbaum-presented American version that aired on the Discovery Channel in the '90s, which was paired with The Next Step.
The Next Step (preferably the Richard Hart-hosted episodes)
Oliver's Twist - Still holding my breath for the thirty remaining episodes of Jamie Oliver's series, along with more Region 1 releases for his other series.
Student Bodies
Spellbinder - The Disney Channel version of this 26-part Australian mini-series

Gregbert

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Put me down for Salvage 1 also.

Though, being a fan of British television:
Doomwatch
Till Death Us Do Part

Not as British:
The Australian version of Are You Being Served?

Of course, like Tim, Doctor Who.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I never thought about it till now but the two I want the most both star Gary Cole..lol.

1. Midnight Caller (series)
2. Son of the Morning Star (Custer mini series)
3. My Life and Times (series starring Tom Irwin and Helen Hunt, only lasted 6 episodes, great show)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Can the administrators delete my last post please. I quoted a post further up the page, but where the quoted post (and link) should be it is blank instead.

Bob Huq - Thanks!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
there needs to be a better system than what is being described. 10,000 different people to give bits and pieces to, for royalties ? why even own the dang thing ?

it is one thing to pay the people - but that should be up front. so the owner knows how much it is gonna cost him ? to beg and grovel to each and every individual before you can get a complete unedited show to deal with - seems a bit ridiculous. a lot of bits - LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks