What's new

What are your favorite cop and public detective genre shows on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ben__Tyler

Auditioning
What are your 3 (or even 4 or 5, if 3 isn't enough) personal favorite older
classic and / or recent classic (as in any shows made from the 1980's up to present day) police drama - cop or public detective genre shows on DVD (or even if any currently aren't on DVD, pretend that they were) and please say why, for each show named.

Private detective genre shows are excluded.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
For me, it's the original 1950s version of DRAGNET. Though there were a few police and detective shows before it, Jack Webb's insistence on realism made this a standout that still influences police shows today.

Sadly, there's never been an official release of the Fifties version of DRAGNET on DVD by Universal (the owner of the series), though there are a number of episodes that have been released in less-than-pristine condition by companies specializing in public domain material. Universal did release DRAGNET 1967 (the updated color version) on DVD last year, but I'll take the Fifties version over it.

In terms of more modern day releases, I'd go with HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET from the 1990s as it's one of the best dramatic shows ever with a great cast and really benefits from its on-location filming in Baltimore. The good news on this one is that the entire series is available on DVD.

Recently, I've been enjoying season 1 of the Michael Mann series CRIME STORY with Dennis Farina on DVD. I only saw sporadic episodes of this series when it was originally broadcast in the 1980s. Like HOMICIDE, there is a continuing story line throughout the series so it's important to view the episodes in order. Another on-location series filmed in Chicago and Las Vegas.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll second HOMICIDE: Life On The Street. Just an incredably solid show, that still holds up today. All the sets are great, although it diffenately loses steam on season 7. Seasons 3-5 might be the best TV has had.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Well you've excluded Jim Rockford so...

#3 Hill Street Blues - It set the Standard

#2 NyPD Blue - Modernized that Standard and Brought it Home

#1 Homicide Life On The Streets - Smashed that Standard, told interesting and unique Storries with Great Characters, excellent Music. Seasons 1-4 Are the Best.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with the Homicide votes. It's one of my all time favorite shows and by far my favorite cop show.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Favorite cop show - Hill Street Blues - anxiously awaiting season 2.

Best follow up - Homicide:Life on the Street

Favorite detective - Columbo

Follow up - Magnum, pi or Remington Steele

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
My two favorites right now are recent one's...

Monk

Veronica Mars

Past favorites are...

Heart to Heart

Silk Stalkings

Knight Rider (does that show even count?)

I just started watching Veronica Mars last week and finished the entire first season in 4 days, I could just kick myself in the ass for not checking it out sooner!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks