What's new

What are you wishing from Apple on Wednesday 9/12? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WHAT ARE YOU WISHING FOR?

Just some random thoughts what you would like to see announced on Wednesday 9/12 whether you actually believe it will happen or not.

This is not the thread to come back at suggestions with negative "not going to happen" remarks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The one big thing I am waiting for is the announcement
of new 27" iMacs with improved displays (Retina or not).
I would like to replace my 2009 model with an SSD version.

As for the iPhone. The only thing at this point that would
make me return my Galaxy S3 is a taller and wider screen.
If it were a bezel-less phone, that would be the clincher for me.

Finally, since iPods may be discussed, I would love to see
an iPod with a driver bigger than 160GB, which I know is
just wishful thinking.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'd like to see Apple give a death knell to Amazon by announcing an iPad Mini, and reduced prices for the iPad 2 and iPad 3.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wants which are possible:
Guest mode in iOS
Streamlined iTunes
LTE iPhone, any other new features are gravy
New better range Airports
Wants but are unlikely:
Refreshed iMacs with better (if not retina) displays, TB and USB3 support, SSD as BTO option.
Upgrade pricing for apps
DRM free books and movies
Wildcards:
FCPX update
Logic given an X style overhaul
Kill off the hard disk iPod
I know I'm forgetting something. It's not bluray, that's dead, right?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Steve Tannehill said:
I'd like to see Apple give a death knell to Amazon by announcing an iPad Mini, and reduced prices for the iPad 2 and iPad 3.
A, why? What is Amazon doing that needs to be killed? How would a lower priced iPad kill Amazon anyway, Kindle is a fraction of what Amazon is and does. Hint: Amazon is a bigger software company than it is hardware
B, why target this at Amazon and not Android and Win8?
C, reduced pricing is unlikely, but what tablets are providing a better value today at the same size?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Kindle Fire HD is a direct competitor to the iPad.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Pixie dust to turn my 4 into a 5
:D
I think I'm most interested in if and how the iPad mini plays out.
On the iPhone 5 side, I don't understand the rumored tall screen, so I'm imost curious about that for hardware.
For software, I hope for mapping software with voice that runs on the 4. I think that's not the case, but fingers crossed.
I also hope for iWork improvements, to eliminate the annoying feature gap with desktop.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Here you go:

LTE Iphone
96Gb or 128Gb Version
True-N (MIMO) support for WiFi
Support for multi-user in iOS (especially for iPad)
Significant improvements in camera
get me one "wow" feature that I haven't seen before
IF we do get the new Dock connector (which seems guaranteed) I want easy to use adapters for all of us with devices based on old connector

Wishful Thinking

Price drop for Ipad2 before eliminated(!) Just say "ipad2.. blowout.. $259" :) You know they could/should do it with competition out there

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
iPhone 5. I currently own an iPhone 4 and skipped the 4S. My contract has expired so I'm due for an upgrade, Looking forward to the 5.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Steve Tannehill said:
The Kindle Fire HD is a direct competitor to the iPad.
Maybe you haven't seen the actual reviews yet then... It needs help. The ads might even kill its momentum. We will need to see.
I have a fire1 and a FireHD on order. I'm a believer in Amazon but not in the 7" form factor. I think it's not all that its cracked up to be but it IS a compelling price point.
BUT.
They are fundamentally different devices to an iPad that serve different purposes. And as always, implementation matters.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
mattCR said:
Here you go:
Support for multi-user in iOS (especially for iPad)
Significant improvements in camera
get me one "wow" feature that I haven't seen before
The WOW feature is going to be NFC. That's my guess. Chronic says it is happening and he is pretty reliable. Of course the Android guys will blather on and on about how they have had NFC for yeaaaaars now. But as always, implementations matter.
Hope you are right about the camera. The one in the new Nokia is supposed to be pretty great in low light. Hope this new one matches that. But even the 4s camera is better than the one in my 4, and I use that a LOT.
Multi user is my most requested feature. I don't think Apple cares that much about it, and might be actively against it. But I can still hope.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Fire series is performs a subset of what an iPad can do. With the Amazon Streaming app available on iOS, there's really nothing a Fire does that an iPad can't do but a shit ton the iPad does that the Fire is ill suited for. If/when the Amazon Streaming app comes to Android, there will be zero reason to buy the Fire over any other brand name Android tablet as well.

Zero.

Too many people were burned by the Fire last time. Unless the reviews are airtight and awesome, it's not going to replicate any of the success the original one had, which sold on goodwill as much as price.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
iMac with a 4K display, updated Mac Mini with a much improved discreet graphics option, a 5" iPod touch w/gps that could be used a VOIP phone.

To be clear, I don't expect anything of those things I just wish for them.

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(4, 20, 39)]As noted by several [/COLOR]MacRumors[COLOR= rgb(4, 20, 39)] readers, [/COLOR]searches for "iPhone-5"[COLOR= rgb(4, 20, 39)] on Apple's site are currently yielding a number of search results revealing that Apple will indeed be calling the new iPhone the "iPhone 5". The results point to several currently-inactive iPhone 5 pages including the press release announcement and a "tips" page.[/COLOR]
Story Here

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Could be. Wouldn't surprise me, but I hope they switch it up just to mess with people.
This morning's checklist:
-Confirmed zero balance on Credit card
-have AT&T login credentials handy
-Confirmed zero balance at AT&T
-have Verizon shared data plan login credentials handy
-Confirmed zero balance at Verizon
Ready to go whichever way I head this afternoon. I suspect it will be with a Verizon phone but we'll see.
Matt or anyone: Can I somehow port my number to a new Verizon phone while still keeping my AT&T account active, with or without having another AT&T phone handy? I'd prefer to give or sell off my unlimited account rather than seeing it simply vaporized.
The only discussion I see on it is how to do it to avoid ETF or make a profit. Don't care about that, just want to see AT&T keep that unlimited vein open =p
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1758818-Is-it-possible-to-port-a-number-out-but-keep-the-line-active

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That story is just the tip of the iceberg BTW, sounds like new Nano's and iTunes are a go too.
http://www.cultofmac.com/189982/apples-own-search-engine-leaks-entire-iphone-5-keynote-heres-what-to-expect/?utm_medium=twit&utm_campaign=spread-us
Or it could all be disinformation muahahaha. =p

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
As far as the iPhone 5 goes, I think we already know what we're going to get. There's another late rumor about NFC capability, so I think that's the main mystery left (I'm betting no). My wish would be a bump to 128 GB storage capacity, but I'm not counting on it. I think we'll see that threshold reached in the iPad first.

I also think we will see another improvement in the camera, but what it will be I couldn't say. I'm not thinking a megapixel bump, but something like improved low-light performance. I think it has to be something they can easily demo & sell.

All I know is my 2+ year-old iPhone 4 is feeling a bit slow, and I'm ordering the new one (max memory) as soon as they put it up. I also am fairly confident that it will continue the iPhone success story and will NOT be a "dud".

Looks like we'll see new iPods (Touch, Nano) today. No real interest in those for me, although Keith will be happy to hear that they may indeed be adding GPS to the iPod Touch.

I do have a wish for the iPod line. A number of companies are making portable HDs that have built-in WiFi and can be accessed via special apps to give access to large amounts of music & movies for iOS devices. I would love to see Apple deliver such a device (a "media storage tank", if you will) that is more tightly integrated into iOS. It would be a good replacement for the iPod Classic for those of us that have large media libraries. Not counting on it though; I think we would have heard rumors if such a thing was coming.

It's a given that we'll see a new iTunes announced. My wish is that it's a complete 64-bit rewrite. Unfortunately my gut tells me it probably won't be. Also, iOS6 will be released for download sometime between today and next Friday (Duh!).

As for the iPad mini: I think Gruber & others are right. There will be a separate event for that next month.

As for iMacs: Clearly a refresh is imminent, if for no other reason than to bring the line up-to-date with Ivy Bridge.. However, I can't see Retina screens on the iMacs coming this year. I think it will be at least another year before manufacturing yields on screens of that size and pixel density get to where Apple needs them to be. For this reason I think they may just drop the iMacs into the store with no formal event sometime in the next month. At most, the refresh will warrant a slide or two on this keynote (or the October event). We'll probably get Ivy Bridge minis about the same time. My wish for both these lines would be that Apple drops their prices for SSDs down to somewhat close to real-world prices. The 256GB Crucial M4 SSD has recently shown up for $165 at both Fry's and Amazon; Apple's $500 upgrade tariff for that sized SSD in the minis and iMacs is increasingly ridiculous.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Craig S said:
As far as the iPhone 5 goes, I think we already know what we're going to get. There's another late rumor about NFC capability, so I think that's the main mystery left (I'm betting no). My wish would be a bump to 128 GB storage capacity, but I'm not counting on it. I think we'll see that threshold reached in the iPad first. 
NFC is clearly important to Passbook long term. Will it hit today? Not sure.
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/06/20/apples-passbook-payments-and-the-power-of-trust/
Just a reminder of where we've come from:
[video]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBu3N8_U4WE[/video]
On repeat all morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks