What's new

What are you watching with your teenagers? (1 Viewer)

Dom

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
Soap TV Series

Really? this did well? Please explain.
----------------------------------------

I had this on one day and my daughter was struck by the goofy narrative..and the silly characters of course, but the narrative I think drags you in on some level or at least
creates an interest to a perspective viewer.

Well we watched in 4-5 episode increments and she was hooked. She keeps asking me about Season 2 but I'm a bit short on cash these days.

I think she'd like Mork & Mindy when it comes out as well.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Okay, here's my success story. (A 16 year old, smart, but really quiet.)

Spirited Away
Pulp Fiction
Alien
Chinatown (a theatrical viewing)
Taxi Driver
This is Spinal Tap
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Aliens
Dark City
Sunset Boulevard
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Goodfellas
City of God
Amelie
Raging Bull
Kill Bill - both volumes, one after another.
Almost Famous
North by Northwest
Psycho
Clerks
Evil Dead II
Blazing Saddles
Requiem for a Dream

Didn't work:

Singin' in the Rain
E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (grrr..)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hey everyone -

Like I said before, I am an 18 year and I have pretty much grown up with the classics. I suppose it is because I have loved Elizabeth Taylor from a young age, since I was about 8 years old. But even before then I absolutely loved The Wizard of Oz, and Judy Garland, and I can remember seeing Brigadoon with my Grandma when I was 5! Classics are pretty much all I choose to buy on DVD, although I see new releases with my friends at the theatre. It's funny, because it's the exact opposite to my taste in music. I love new music, but with movies it's pretty much just the classics! With TV, it's both. For example, I could watch The Simple Life, or To the Manor Born.

The following is a list of the classic films, or TV shows that I have bought on DVD, and not a list of the classic films I have seen. I have seen much more than this! I would love to hear your opinions!

- Annie Get Your Gun
- Ben-Hur
- Brigadoon
- Butterfield 8
- Cabaret
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
- Citizen Kane
- Doctor Zhivago
- Giant
- My Fair Lady
- Meet Me In St. Louis
- Gaslight
- Father of the Bride
- The Harvey Girls
- Jezebel
- Little Women (1933)
- Little Women (1944)
- National Velvet
- A Star Is Born(1954)
- A Star is Born (Janet)
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
- Singin' In the Rain
- Wizard of Oz
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show: Season One
- To the Manor Born
- For Me and My Gal
- In the Good Old Summertime
- Love Finds Andy Hardy
- Ziegfield Girl
- Death on the Nile
- Evil Under the Sun
- The Mirror Crack'd
- Sabrina
- Roman Holiday
- Breakfast at Tiffany's
- I Love Lucy: Season One
- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
- Peyton Place
- How Green Was My Valley?
- Marilyn Monroe: The Diamond Collection vol. 1
- Mickey Mouse in Living Color
- Miss Marple (Joan Hickson, A&E vol. 1)
- Miss Marple (Joan Hickson, BBC Edition)
- Keeping Up Appearances
- The Jungle Book
- Sunset Boulevard
- Father's Little Dividend
- Snow White and the Seven Drawfs
- Cleopatra (1963)
- Fantasia Anthology
- Halloween
- War and Peace (1956)
- The Sound of Music
- Gone With the Wind
- Sleeping Beauty
- The Last Time I Saw Paris
- Suddenly, Last Summer
- Scrooge (1930's)
- Psycho
- The Taming of the Shrew (Taylor)
- Some Like It Hot
- The Driver's Seat
- Miracle on 34th Street
- A Christmas Carol (1951)
- The Judy Garland Show
- It's a Wonderful Life

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Andrew, very impressive classic list. What newer films do you like? As this just isn't about classics but all films we older folk can/do watch with our teen counterparts.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Well, I am only 18, but I LOVE classic films. When I was younger I would watch Wizard of Oz to no end, and the Long, Long Trailer was great too... Classics like Posiedon Adventure and any of the Sinbad or Ray HarryHausen flicks. :)

I boycotted Robocop when I was 7 or so, it was too violent... but have come to somewhat like it now that I am an adult.

Ryan

StephenA

Screenwriter
Wizard of Oz is one movie my sister can't stand. I asked her why and she says she just finds it boring. She likes most other stuff I've had her watch, old and new, but that's one that she really can't stand. Strange because everyone else in my family all love it, from our mom, her dad, our grandmother, and our cousin.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think I've got a pretty typical 14-year old son and 18-year old daughter. This is a topic I take great interest in...because I can rarely find a movie which the entire household can agree on for a single viewing.

14-year old son enjoys action-type movies. In fact, I often comment on how cool it is to have a 14-year old son because now I get to see the kinds of movies I would rarely get to see if it was just me, my wife and daughter.

Among his favorites: The LOTR trilogy, the Matrix trilogy, the recent James Bond movies, xXx, the Bourne Identity (yet to see the Supremacy), Men in Black I & II, the Terminator films, Independence Day, Speed, Star Wars films...you get the idea.

I have successfully watched with him: Glory, The Great Escape, Armageddon, the Die Hard Movies.

On my to-watch list with him are: Bridge Over the River Kwai, Escape from New York, Von Ryan's Express and All Quiet on the Western Front (he just read the book on his summer reading list). AQotWF will be very interesting. It has everything working against it as far as he's concerned--black and white, 1930, etc. But, he liked the book and my understanding is the film is fairly faithful to the book.

I had mixed success with the Alien movies: Alien went down in flames. Aliens was much better received (probably because of more action).

Son & I are also watching some of the first season of CSI.

18-year old daughter is into musicals and theater so she is pretty easy to please. Besides the obvious musical films (Chicago, Moulin Rouge, etc), she has also enjoyed some classics like The Grapes of Wrath. Also, The Princess Bride, The Producers, Catch Me If You Can, A Beautiful Mind and the LOTR trilogy.

On my to-watch list with BOTH son and daughter are the Godfather movies.

Wife hates anything scary (even Ghostbusters!) or action-oriented movies. Dramas and comedies leaning towards "chick-flicks" are what she likes.

Family favorites (including BOTH kids) include Rain Man, A League of Their Own, Tom Hank's That Thing You Do, Groundhog Day, and Mrs. Doubtfire. An unusual family success was David Lynch's The Elephant Man.

But finding films for ALL of us to enjoy are becoming increasingly difficult with the kids in the teen years. It was easier when it was younger and my guess is it will get easier as they get older.

Great idea for a thread Zen! :emoji_thumbsup: I am reading the posts with interest to get some ideas for appropriate family viewing...and for appropriate teen viewing.

BTW, Zen: Band of Brothers is a favorite of mine and I think 14-year old son is ready for it...whenever we can find the time. I'll let you know when it happens.

RandyWebb

Agent
My 14 year old son definitely prefers action and war movies.
His favorites include:

The LOTR Trilogy
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Behind Enemy Lines
Star Wars (ep 1,2)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Gladiator
Master and Commander
The Last Samurai
Band of Brothers

I have shared with him some (slightly)older movies:

Star Wars (Original Trilogy)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Great Escape
Romancing the Stone
Jurassic Park

StephenA

Screenwriter
Oh yea I should list what my sister has watched and liked with me:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Gladiator
Metropolis(1927)
Halloween
The Patriot
Bridge On The River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia
Spirited Away
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Star Wars series
Armegeddon
Breakfast Club
Yellow Submarine
South Park movie
Pirates of the Carribean
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Leon: The Professional
Scorpion King
Spder-Man
X-Men 1 and 2
Grave of the Fireflies
8 Heads In a Duffel Bag
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
O Brother Where Art Thou
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Three Amigos
Forrest Gump
Fantasia
Goonies
Moinsters Inc
Ice Age
Bicentennial Man
The Crow
E.T.
Labyrinth

I'm probably missing a few, but that's the general list. I know a lot wouldn't agree with watching some of them with her because she's 14, but she's surprising intelligent and mature for her age, and knows more about stuff than I expected. I'm trying to get her to watch more older movies, but like I said earlier in the thread, it's hard to get her to do much with me right now.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

Phil, another one you should check out would be The Big Sleep. You might like Bogart in that. It's actually one of my favorites. First saw it when I was 18-19 and loved it!

Matt

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

+Sniffs+ [I must say this was a nice stretch for Bogart. A somewhat comedic role, with little heartfelt nuances. I discovered sides to Bogart's acting, I never knew existed after I saw Sabrina.]

Randy, yes the 16y/o boy loves the action/war type films. Thus, much of it in my collection. He is at least discriminating and seems to pick out well made ones. We have almost all the ones on your list.

He has purchased for his own collection:
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Enemy at the Gates (he LOVED this)
Band of Brothers
Hamburger Hill
Tigerland
Cold Mountain (this was somewhat a surprise as it's very story driven, loved it)
Dances with Wolves(!!!!, I was thrilled he took to this film so well. He wanted his own)

Okay, focusing on the 16y/o boy:

Success:
Alamo, The
Gettysburg (not that old)
Enter the Dragon
Donnie Brasco
Lawrence of Arabia(I wasn't there, he watched it during the say while I was at work. Said it was "tight" :)

Mike, I'm very interested in how your son takes to AQOTWF. 16y/o, just finished the book also.

People, your posts are incredible.

I've printed this thread for tons of ideas.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I believe I'll have to do the same...even though we've got a bit of a backlog at the moment. And then starts the school and homework (luckily for him, not me!) ;)

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 17 and I enjoy classic movies of Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn. Soon, I'm ordering two dvd sets that contain AMC Classics Vivien Leigh (Dark Journey, Fire Over England, Sidewalks of London, and Storm in a Teacup) and another of Cary Grant (Amazing Adventure, His Girl Friday, Pennt Serenade, and Hollywood Without Makeup).

I am 16 years old and a big fan of film. In the past year I have done everything I can to learn about film and every thing that comes with it. My favorite movies range from Akira Kurosawa, Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, Martin Scorcese, Alfred Hithcock, Stanley Kubrick, Billy Wilder, Sergio Leone, Charlie Chaplin, Ridley Scott, David Lean, to Milos Forman. I always get picked on about the selection of my movies from friends and family. They often criticize the age of the film and wether its black and white or color. Through all this I have managed to build a collection which I think contains all the great movies from around the world. The link is below.

http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection...an&mediatype=D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Tim, this just made my day. Your intelligence shines through your modesty. You are a wise one :emoji_thumbsup:.

Many on this forum, young and old (mostly old actually) would do well to consider the attitude of this fine gentleman.

--
H

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator

I'm definitely going to check these out eventually. I probably haven't seen enough Bogart to form a real opinion.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I echo H's comments. There is another thread going on, "having trouble getting through some classics." Some of the older membership ought to read some of these fine posts by our younger membership before typing another word and embarrassing themselves further.

Edgar, Andrew, Daniel and others could school a lot of us. I applaud you

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My entire family just viewed In America.

Wonderful film. I'm still thinking about some of its ideas, the performances of the adults and the two girls, and its uplifting spirit.

Everyone enjoyed it--especially wife and I. 18-year old daughter liked it a lot while 14-year old son was non-plussed.

I was a bit surprised by the graphic nature of the sex scene between the two parents (quick nudity, the lightning storm, the "mad" neighbor artist destroying his work all blended together. I thought for a PG-13 film it was a little over the top...but certainly nothing more objectionable than some of the violence creeping into the PG-13 category.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks