What's new

What are you playing right now? (2 Viewers)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I owned the original High Speed for about 7 years but sold it several years before building the collection above. It was the first pinball machine I ever owned and I bought it while in grad school. It also turned out that it effectively made me money because the person I bought it from owned an arcade business and he hired me to fix and maintain his pinball machines. I ended up owning a few others during that time, an F-14 Tomcat and an original Black Knight but sold them off before divesting myself of all machines with the sale of the High Speed.

I have found that I need at least 2 pinball machines to make it worth owning them. With just one you get bored and it never changes so even after a long pinball hiatus, it is still the same old game. With two you can at least go back and forth.

That setup looks very pretty but I really don't play them that often, like maybe 30 hours a year and my kids never got into it. Kids just don't seem to like their parents' hobbies no matter how awesome.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I've been playing the original High Speed at our league and it's growing on me. A very unforgiving and fast game.

I also have a Jurassic Park that gets some use (I agree with you - you can't have just one). I'd love to expand the collection further, but priorities and WAF keep getting in the way. All in good time.

My almost 6-year old boys enjoy playing every once in a while (the pinball-gobbling T-Rex is quite the draw) - they aren't that bad, really. I'm trying to keep them interested in it... we'll see how well that works as they get older.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
My son loved them at 5 and 6 but then computer games took over. Even though my son will play 10+ hours a day on computer games with his friends (when school work and schedule permit) any time thanks to the internet, when has a sleep over they still play computer games continuously even though at our house they could play pinball or watch a movie in our pretty impressive HT, something they cannot do anywhere else.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Bryan, how is pinball on the iPad, generally speaking, compared to using a PS3 controller? Do you use any sort of peripheral, or just touchscreen controls?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Diamond Dan is pulling me away from Grimrock for a bit. Very fun arcade game similar to Loderunner, an all time favorite on the C64 (and of course the old PC version Legend Continues). Once you get the hang of DD it has big hooks...just one more time thing. Works well with a 360 pad. I need to play a bit more to see if it's samey.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Bryan, how is pinball on the iPad, generally speaking, compared to using a PS3 controller? Do you use any sort of peripheral, or just touchscreen controls?
Ummm....you get used to it. Actually it is very, very responsive and accurate using your thumbs on the corners of the screen for left and right flippers. It's weird at first because your thumbs press no buttons just a flat screen, but it is so touch sensitive you barely have to touch the screen at all. You can position the area you want on screen to "shake" the table. Of course the bigger the screen the better(my 10" is great, but my co worker has it on his 8" tablet and I think it is a little hard to get used to). And of course the tables are always available months before they arrive for the consoles so that is a big plus.
The tables look much brighter, and more detailed on my IPad than the PS3, and I ended up re-buying all the season tables for it. I love it, and don't think I'll return to the console version. It is free to try if you download it to your device, and High Speed is the current "trial" table. See what you think.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I finished inFamous: Second Son on PS4 (took them a while to release all the post-game content, it was pretty neat stuff) and now playing through Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Surprising amount of stuff to do considering it's basically a single-level demo at $30.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Diamond Dan. The cute, big-eyed characters are deceiving. The difficulty really ramps up after a bit but it sure is satisfying when I complete one. I consider this game very underrated. Even so, there are comments about it cheating. But I just think random events coupled with slow reaction time of the character after your input make it overly difficult at time. I was mostly at an safe place when one of those bird poked out, grabbed me and dragged me back over. It really is just a very strong challenge. Not deterred yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
More Alan Wake. I thought i was nearly done, completing Episode 4. I was wrong. I'm only halfway through. That disappoints me. I was hoping it was tighter; I'm not sure it can sustain another 2+2 episodes. But, the music in Ep4 is great. I need to see what options there are for acquiring the Music of in-game band, Old Gods of Asgard. http://alanwake.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Gods_of_AsgardTwo main songs are on the band's websitehttp://www.oldgodsofasgard.com//audio/ogoa_thepoetandthemuse.mp3http://www.oldgodsofasgard.com//audio/ogoa_eldergod.mp3

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Diamond Dan done! very fun "casual" (yeah, right..) game. deceptively simple all over the place, but just play it and you'll see. wish there was a sequel with gameplay adjusted slightly for tighter controls, it often favors the baddies (just like the golden oldie games). I'll miss it, great time.

Playing a little DarkOut, similar to Terrania. Quite fun, but doesn't feel totally finished. More polish needed. Terrania is finished and THEN some! So I don't think I'll allow the 1gig or so for long.

Now reinstalling Mirror's Edge. I didn't get far 2 other times before moving on to different games. But I always think about how amazing the game looked and played.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Alan Wake. Episode 5: The Clicker.

Episode 4 slumped for me, but Ep 5 brought it back together with a strong chapter. I played the whole section in one sitting, which helped. In hindsight, this is a game that benefits from surge playing: 3 hours in a chunk to play a chapter as a whole. I'm looking forward again to the final chapter and hopefully a good conclusion.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Terraria. (spoilers here) started a new character and world. It really does get challenging. Like Minecraft, I'll have to build safety houses underground. Got nailed twice. Once, something blew up in the dark. And I blowed up real good with it! The I upped my health level and the baddies got more powerful. got me! Luckily both times I got my stuff back. I need better armor than wooden stuff for sure! At least I have a zombie arm to bash stuff with. (/spoilers)

Stalker: Lost Alpha. surprisingly good conversion for Stalker SOC. Plus, it's free and you don't need any Stalker game installed to play it. Worth the download.

The 7th Guest. such a classic. I remember looking at Amiga games at the store and the lady who owned the store was playing this to try and get me to buy a PC from her. Didn't work. Took DOOM to get that done. :p I also have The 11th Hour (aka The 7th Guest 2). And read there is a 7th Guest 3 on kickstarter. So many good memories. I'll take that one for sure once it comes out.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Radioman970 said:
The 7th Guest. such a classic. I remember looking at Amiga games at the store and the lady who owned the store was playing this to try and get me to buy a PC from her. Didn't work. Took DOOM to get that done. :P I also have The 11th Hour (aka The 7th Guest 2). And read there is a 7th Guest 3 on kickstarter. So many good memories. I'll take that one for sure once it comes out.
I remember those! Back when CD-ROM drives were relatively "new"... classics.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Jason Charlton said:
I remember those! Back when CD-ROM drives were relatively "new"... classics.
Yep, and the days of Video CDs. I thought those were just amazing! lol

The voicework in the game is so much fun. The pacing slow by todays standards... back then it was amazing watching the pre-rendered scenes slooooowly move along. Waiting for some scary voice stuff. I'd forgotten what happens when you quit the game. So good.....

7th_Guest_-_Complete_Box.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Free game on steam.

ARMA cold war assault. You just go and click Play Game. It will register it to your account. Then you can cancel installing. Do so before Monday near noon.

I plan to try this old game. The other one runs a little slow at time. And it so darn hard. I hope this early one is a little easier. I can't get passed an early mission in A2. The one with the sniper. It's runs too clunky. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks