What's new

What are you playing right now? (2 Viewers)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Regarding Metroid: Other M, it utterly surprises me that they evidently didn't bring Jennifer Hale back for another go-round as Samus. WTF??

And why did they not use the nunchuck for analog control? First-person would still have worked, and made this game amazing.
Also, have been playing this for a little while, and there's no brightness adjustment? No, I'm serious -- I was having a real hard time seeing things in the corners and such, so I try to find the "Options"...option...in the menu, and there isn't one. Which also means that I couldn't find any sort of brightness-adjuster.

So naturally, I try to turn up my TV's brightness (playing on a 52" plasma), but I tried for twenty minutes and my first death came from Shriekbats that I just did not fucking see. They were as ninjas in the night.
I finally found the TV's brightness setting; it helped a lot. I moved it up like twenty notches, and all of a sudden I can see every little corner and such.
I always saw Samus as a strong-willed, badass heroine. But in a attempt to make this game appeal more to the Japanese gamer audience, they turned her into a whiny, submissive little girl constantly seeking Adam's approval. Still, I'm having some major fun with this one, but man.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I can't get console settings right. I put an Avia disc in my 360 and set my TV correctly according to that, but it was horrible for games. Why don't the consoles live on the NTSC standard? I got tired of turning up the brightness in everything, so I adjusted my set. After 40 hours of playing RDR darker than I should have, it looks really good. I played 90+ hours of GTAIV the old way and it never looked completely right. Now, I just wonder what changing the settings did to Galaxy and other Wii games, since the consoles share the same input.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
josh - I didn't have any of the problems you're talking about. I'm on a 42" LCD and the colors were fine. As for the controls, I got used to holding the remote sideways then pointing it at the screen, but I agree that it would have just been easier to use the nunchuk. The original design philosophy from some higher up old guy at Nintendo was to make the game simple by just using the remote in the same way you play the original Metroid on NES. Unfortunately, the good design choice (the first person view) made the control system needlessly complicated. Beyond that, I'm sure that a variety of other game design choices would alienate people more than using the nunchuk in the primary control scheme would.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Right now, I'm playing:

Red Dead Redemption

Madden NFL 11

Halo Reach

God of War3

Starcraft II

Soon, I'll be done with Red Dead and GOW3, then start on Fallout New Vegas and COD Black Ops.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
This morning on Amazon I saw a pre-order listing for a game called "Rock of the Dead," which is apparently a rail shooter where you kill zombies by playing songs on the guitar or drum controller. Weird.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I tried the Star Wars Force Unleashed II demo. I didn't like the first game's demo, so I didn't buy the game. I really didn't like this one, either. The Kamino setting is cool, but the gameplay is just not very fun. It's like 3D Final Fight. Just mash, mash, mash. Maybe I'd grow to love it with the full game, but I'm not going to risk a purchase. The Sonic 4 demo didn't really grab me.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm not really a gamer and, while I've wanted to play some, I had small children which made it impossible.

However, the kids are older now.

Right now I'm addicted to QuakeLive (online). I haven't played Quake for a good 8 years so I'm thrilled to have this. And the kids love to watch me play - to the point where as soon as I come home from work they ask if I'm going to play and when I say yes they run and grab chairs and drag them into my office.

Beyond that I've been alternating between Quake 4 (didn't even know it came out) and Halo (the first one).

I started playing Halo because the kids were making Quake warriors and battle arenas out of their Legos and I knew there was a Halo toy line. They're too young to actually play the game themselves but they enjoy watching me play. However gameplay on Halo suck IMHO. So much wandering around hallways that all look exactly alike.

These are all on the PC. We're a few years away from console gaming - eternity if my wife has any say. Tho she did get stuck playing a Wii for a few minutes recently and admitted it was fun...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Paul, I don't know about the PC edition, but the sandbox mode in the PS3 version of the Toy Story 3 game is IMO the single best console game ever made for a parent and child to play together. My 5-year-old absolutely loves it, and he's never really gotten into any other game on the PS3 or the Wii.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I just went through Metroid: Other M. I experienced the same feelings of "meh" with a little bit of "Yawn" and a portion of "OMFG, Samus is such a whiner" that everybody else did.
I supplement down times on other games by playing Fallout 3 on XBX.
I've been playing a lot of point & Click adventure games. I just went through "The White Chamber", and "Prodigal", both of which are awesome, and I highly recommend to anyone interested in this kind of game and are willing to shell out the expense of: "Free Download" to get them. I also have been playing "Tale of Two Kingdoms" in this same genre of game.
I am about to explode in anticipation of Epic Mickey. In anticipation of this, I started playing Kingdom Hearts (Yeah, the PS2 one) that I bought like 8 years ago and never played. I found that I hate the game's control and so stopped about two hours in.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Settlers 6. Had so much fun I reinstalled 3 other lite strategy games I never finished, Battle in Middle-earth I, Black & White 2, and Caesar IV. None are as much fun as Settlers 6. Caesar IV never impressed, but the other 2 are still great. Settlers just has a warm place in my heart as I'd played the org on my old Amiga back in the day. Will definitely pick up the 7th edition when I upgrade my PC. But 6 is still worthy. Relaxing and highly addicting.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary. A little easy but still fun. Looks great too.

Painkiller. Playing this one through again to reach the point I did before...hopefully go on to finish it this time. The grfx still hold up. I prefer this to the also fun Serious Sam.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
RB:3 and GH:WOR. The keys in RB3 are a nightmare! But in a good way of course! Unlike many Asian kids, I didn't take years and years of piano lessons, stopped after just a year or two. I did take guitar lessons later, so I'm really looking forward to the Fender Squier controller (available only March 2011 though )
Quote:
Morgan Jolley said:
/forum/thread/303175/what-are-you-playing-right-now/30#post_3735800
This morning on Amazon I saw a pre-order listing for a game called "Rock of the Dead," which is apparently a rail shooter where you kill zombies by playing songs on the guitar or drum controller. Weird.
Looks like a nice bit of silliness, which I might pick up when it goes into the discount bin. For now, RB3 and GHWOR are more than enough to keep me occupied. And I still haven't unwrapped my copy of F1 2010, nor played Sports Champions since the first time I gave it a go (and I've since bought a second controller but still haven't even unboxed that either).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming
Apparently in gameplay, it only works as a "real guitar" for chords, i.e. melodies are still played the usual 5-button way. So that's a bit of a misnomer. Also, for a game that is selling its "authenticity" as compared to 5-button guitar gameplay, the drums are almost literally "air drums". Most peculiar. It doesn't seem to have been very well received. Another Rock Revolution, then?
I hope so. I was pretty happy with Rock Revolution for $4.99. :) It's a shame that the songs were all cover versions, because that game had perhaps the best track list of any music game ever.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just picked up Rock Band 3 and Donkey Kong Country Returns today. Between learning the keys and playing DKCR, I should have my frustration quota taken care of for a while.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Puzzle Dimensions-cool little retro game you can snag cheaply on steam. Roll the ball around and try to get all the flowers without falling off the platform made up of various squares that effect the ball in different ways, weak ones fall apart and you have to jump over certain ones, others are ice and you slip to the next square that's not made of ice. Very challenging and...well, I can't stop and need help. I'm in big trouble since this one has such large hooks. I mean it! Help!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Fist of the North Star-XBOX 360.
It's mindless but fun.

Heavy Rain-PS3. I'm finally warming up to this game. PRetty cool.

Pac MAn CE DX. XBOX 360. WOW!!!!!!! The sequel to PAc Man Championship edition. mOre addictive than any one game should be.
I have a pretty decent high score, but I'm trying hard to break 2 million.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Still working my way through Fallout: New Vegas and Fable III, both Xbox 360 flavor. Been meaning to pick up Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but I wanna get as much mileage as possible out of those other two games first before I do that.

Simply SO much to see and do, just in those two titles alone. Literally, hundreds of hours' worth, and I'm trying to get these largely finished off before Dragon Age 2 drops this spring. Sidequests are eating my life, folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks