What's new

What are you playing right now? (2 Viewers)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
sean1976 said:
Here's the fix I used for fallout 3 .. So far it's worked like a charm for me, I'm on Win 8 64 - but this should work for win 7 as well
http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/864961721980433172/
a guide. that sounds good. I was just trying different things I googled.

I might reinstall the game vanilla and see if I can get it going. I know on XP I had no problems except for it being a little slow from my lesser specs.

Thanks! It'll be a bit before I get started. Will post here once I get some result. :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
After some play time (6 hours total) Witcher is reminding me of a Hammer Horror movie. I can't believe I didn't see that before during the opening castle setting. I imagine Witcher 2 is going to be as good as I'd heard. Really can't wait. This first game has flaws but the settings, characters and story elements are dark and wonderfully appealing. If Witcher 2 improves on any of this... well, I have loads of anticipation right now.

Again, I agree the combat is a little weak here but it isn't game breaking by any means, and actually kind of interesting and seems to expand as you progress. I haven't read whether they improved the combat for the followup game or not. I hope so... but if they didn't it won't stop me from relishing this game series. As long as they keep that Hammer Horror: The Game feel.. It reminds me of when I first played the game Gothic. Just the world's atmosphere was enough to keep me tapping along the byways and everywhere.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Anyone interested in going in on a Steam 4 pack of Natural Selection 2 with a buddy of mine on another forum (rottentomatoes gaming forum "Official video game bargains")? it's about $6.30 each. NS2 is a multiplayer game with BOT capabilities that are currently being developed. the game itself is very team oriented. When steam had their free weekend I was very impressed with the hand holding going on. I know there's forums with pro types who get a little irked when you're a sucky newbie.

Worth checking out youtube vids and reviews all around to see if it's worth the money to you. We'd all paypal my buddy and he'd do the buying. Just let me know.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Just finished the Walking Dead " 400 Days " ... it's a series of short stories that will tie in to the second season of the game series. The writers on this are absolutely brilliant, and have left me, as to be expected, salivating for more " episodes " ... Anyone who hasn't played it should do themselves a big favour and go pick up series one - then on to the 400 days tie in.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Finally got NS2 installed. My friend is slow but honest. I believe there is still 1 copy left for $6.37 total.

My HDs are full. So Witcher/Drakensang are on the back burner while playing a few I thought I could axe:

Two Worlds. I have the sequel so really should move on.. I think this was the first game I had with a whopper of a patch. Over a gig. Now I guess that's nothing. steam likes to install 9 gig games all over again sometimes, or seems to. lol Still, this game is flawdy fun and I hope the sequel is the same. I'll keep it for a just a while longer and finish up a few more missions or 3.

Sniper Ghost Warrior. This wasn't thrilling me at first. But after revisit, and a few missions, I had much more fun with it. The shooting is a challenge at times. Like when you have to pull out the machine gun and shoot around stuff. I have Sniper Elite V2 from a recent bundle deal (indie royale, which is still active I believe) so once I do get tired of this it will be next. Probably no space saved there.

A Company of Heroes. Such a pain to install the disc version so it takes careful consideration. And I hadn't made enough headway anyway due to having the Men at War series too. Faces of war is the one I'm on now so no need to keep this installed. In fact, I noticed I'd since bought the Company of Heroes pack on steam that comes with a steam version... so this old one is gone. I have way too many of this type of game.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
So much I need to be doing but instead....

Skyrim Legendary. 3rd new character, my first was a forgetable goof, but the last one was a tall female elf xena-like babe! With this new one (a male Nord, I think) I feel like a virgin touched for the very first time all over again. This is like HL2. Go away for a bit, come back, it's like the first time you touched a breast, or smoked a cig with your buddy behind the house, or when mom told you for the first time about Santa Claus who comes down the chimney. ... Well, maybe not as good as Santa but damn damn close. I know what I'll be doing later today when I fire this up. Yesterday, I just emerged from a cave (the claw mission), feeling good, found something very interesting nearby, need to register another cave on my map and a castle tower nearby to return later (I'm loaded down so I'll just be sneaking by for a quick look... hee hee...) ...this game makes me dream, makes me think about what I'm going to do next time I fire it up, visualize the places in the game...makes me forget about all the shhht I have to do in real life. Has my dogs tapping their toes waiting... Brilliant piece of work, this... IMHO, this company just keeps topping itself with these.

The Precursors. Ambitious Russian game. -RPG, FPS, space combat, beautiful varied worlds with creatively design creatures and locations..., but it's very flawed like something unfinished. A real shame. Fun to play in spite of the probs, but it's a feeling that you could be playing something better...erm, like Skyrim lol. I have a Russian acquaintance, still need to ask him if he's heard of this. Anyway, worth the fiver for the curious.

Natural Selection 2. What I meant to be playing until Skyrim got me again... played about an hour and stand by it. There's just too much here to not get a firm recommendation to those who like MP with some teamwork involved. They'd sell more of these if they'd do a limited edition, or have more free steam weekends, which sold it to me. (I think my buddy still has a copy left for $6.37, let me know if you want it...paypal him, and he'll get the code to you thru steam)

Two Worlds. Still... but with Skyrim, I probably won't be playing this again for a while.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
STEAM SUMMER SALE!!! STEAM SUMMER SALE!! ..

It's so cheap right now it's ridiculous, I just picked up Dishonored, Call of Juarez, Borderlands 2, X COM Enemy Unknown, Darksiders 2, and Dark Souls the prepare to Die edition, all for around 70 bucks!!! It's nuts!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I upgraded from the base game to Skyrim Legendary recently and have been doing a new play through as a Dark Elf. I tend to favor the sneak / archery play style with a good measure of Illusion and use of Conjuration for bound weapons and tanking with Atronachs. I've been playing Dawnguard and Hearthfire components of the game.

Hearthfire makes me wish that it had more customization capabilities. Fun to design and construct a homestead, yet incredibly limited in some fundamental ways. I wish that the game had a more flexible and accomplished version of this component available. I'm playing on Xbox, so the the PC mods are out of the question for me. I would purchase a full on Sim-Skyrim game that permitted me to design and build a castle from scratch and staff it with a private army from my Tywin Lannister-like hoards of gold septims that I've accrued.

- Walter.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Steam sale: hoping for Dishonored and all it's DLC for $25 or less. I voted for it, but it didn't win. :( I"m sure they'll put it up for near $12 eventually and the dlc is $12, so that'll be it.

Passed over some great looking games since the dlc is so much for them, like Sleeping Dogs and Borderlands 2. Great prices for the base game, but then they'll turn around and do a whopping sale for them as collections, but make the just-dlc buying people pay a lot to get the dlc. a funny little game, that dlc. :D ..so I've yet to buy anything... in the sale, just looking at youtubes of everything and going... "naaaaaaa... not now."

Skyrim. I'm actually playing as an Imperial, not Nord. I'm using much more brute force than my usual magic. Fun that way! When I get hurt from doing something stupid I leave it alone. In the past, I'd sometimes reload my last save to avoid "big hurts" but not anymore...just for death. ... Having a moderate technical issue, lags when I enter new areas. My HD light is blinking so.... I need to find out what that is and change something. Could just be the higher res texture pack...?? Would love to upgrade from a 1gig card to a 2gig. .

I keep meaning to look up why those Nord weapons you find in the crypts are worth so little. those huge swords, good looking bows, battleaxes are like 15, 20 gold. not even worth lugging around to the shops to sell off. I think you can almost get more for a simple hatchet than a nice looking Nord Sword. :D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I keep meaning to look up why those Nord weapons you find in the crypts are worth so little. those huge swords, good looking bows, battleaxes are like 15, 20 gold. not even worth lugging around to the shops to sell off. I think you can almost get more for a simple hatchet than a nice looking Nord Sword.
I've always assumed that in game logic, the weapons are ancient and hence not durable and thus not worth much, despite there not being a durability component for your weapons in Skyrim vs the mechanism employed in Oblivion.

- Walter.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Walter Kittel said:
I've always assumed that in game logic, the weapons are ancient and hence not durable and thus not worth much, despite there not being a durability component for your weapons in Skyrim vs the mechanism employed in Oblivion.

- Walter
I should of thought of that. Certainly that is it...

I figured out how to speed up the game a bit. I turned off all the AA and used the FXAA. Not quite as detailed or sharp on the textures, but absolutely worth the trade off. Very little huccuping. So I'm back at it. ..I have it on "expert" but my guy is awful good. I do occasionally find somebody who gives me a fight. There's one "creature" I tried twice and just got my butt handed to me. I finally just walked around and figured there would be another day.

Having an odd problem with mammoths appearing high in the air and then falling to their deaths. At first I was thinking it was some sadistic wizard having some sick fun, but I think it's a bug. :( At least I can get me some tusks with ease.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Started Lego LOTRThis is a bit odd, with the talking minifigs chewing scenery in Ian McKellans voice. I'm used to Nintendo-ized Legos.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Sam Posten said:
Back to borderlands and Skyrim for me!
I have so many games from the steam summer sale I don't know where to start. I've bought Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls: prepare to die edition, Darksiders 2, Dishonored, Call of Juarez and X com Enemy Unknown so far. All for under 100 dollars. I've never had so many good video games lined up to go at once! it's awesome.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Sam Posten said:
You don't even wanna know what my backlog looks like right now. It taunts me. And the steam sale gets me to buy in again and again!
How can you not buy? the prices are ridiculous! I added two more today, deux x human revolution and hitman absolution, together for under 10 dollars. Unreal. I think at this rate I'll be good until the winter sale. The only other one I'm waiting on for a flash sale is Remeber me - then I'll be all set.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Justifying more on top of the backlog is an art I've fooled myself with since first installing that sneaky Steam thing. What's it worth per hour to play Skyrim? after a week or so I'm already paying (not literally) for my second copy! It's really works!

Just the buying experience is worth something to me. Makes me feel good to research something whether I buy it or not.

I researched Way of the Cossacks for an hour the other day. (think about that) lol there's a guy who spends hours playing that game on youtube. I think it's in 25 parts. But...the thing is $2 on gamersgate (along with Xenus II and Precursors by the same Russian devs, well those are $4.98 each). It's just so fun! ...and yeah, I bought it!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My price per hour on Skyrim is ridiculously low. Speaking of which...

Frickin' horses. You can't stable them? You can build stables at your home steads with Hearthfire, but once you've ridden the horse you purchase for the home it follows you everywhere when you fast travel. There really should have been an option (similar to parting ways with followers) to send a horse to a particular stable and have it remain there.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks