What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Russell G said:
I really have to look into this Minecraft stuff. I thought it was just building things, there's actual adventure and getting killed? Are you raided by online players?
There is a multiplayer version you can play but I haven't tried it yet. The single player version does have human villiagers. I encountered them once but they were all killed over time and their houses, gardens, sheep fields just left there. A shame... :( ;) they were right next to my spawn area so I need to find that again in hopes they've returned. It's rather detailed what they do. I was just reading that village children will play tag. :D

Wonderful adventures that you make yourself.. it's not real structured, but very open ended for 1000s of miles of endless exploration. HERE ( http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki ) is a website dedicated to all you can do in the game. Warning LOTS of spoilers.

I made it back to my newer house after almost getting blown up. I brought one chicken (that almost got blown up as well, and I lost his 2 friends that were with us RIP) with me to match the other I had already and now I have all the chickens I want. Plus some jungle saplings (cocoa beans!!!) and a few other things.

I remembered several things you can do in the game to keep from getting lost. I've probably had enough spoilers.

Finding it hard to play anything other this.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Aaron Silverman said:
Someone just handed you a dog in the park? Are you sure it was really hers?
that thought did cross my mind. But she gave me her cell, and I gave her my home phone. She called later levaing a message on my machine saying she had some food leftover and I could have it. I forgot her cell so I can't call her back to get the address. But I do know the apartment building. Hopefully I'll see her out there and can let her know the dog has a home with someone.

the dog is in very good shape. This area is not known for it humane conditions with pets. I've called AC and the police many many times for reasons that would leave you sad about the state of humanity when it comes to pets.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Radioman970 said:
I haven't finished Bioshock 1. I think I'm close, been playing for years. I have BS2 onhand... looking forward to it. Maybe when this new one is $10 I'll be done with those!
you have got to straighten out your priorities! ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
DaveF said:
you have got to straighten out your priorities! ;)
I know.. :( In my defence, the graphics went a little wonky after my PC upgrade (well, probably PC upgrade #2 haha!) ... but now it works fine so there is no excuse. It is one of my most played games on steam so I'm trying!

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Russell G said:
I'm still playing Skyrim BECAUSE IT NEVER ENDS! Well, it kind of does, I just finished up Dawnguard for the most part. Just have to clear a couple of radiant quests. Looks like a new patch is eminent on the consoles so I'm going to wait for that before starting Dragon Born and building my last house in order to pop a trophy.

Anyway, Dawnguard was a bit of fun, but also a bit "That's it?" at the end as it seems to ramp up and end pretty quick.
Hey Russell
Does Dawnguard require Vampirism and if so is it permanent?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Dheiner said:
Hey Russell
Does Dawnguard require Vampirism and if so is it permanent?
Hey! it does require Vampirism, and it doesn't. You can play the whole expansion fighting for the Dawnguard and never become a vampire. If you are a werewolf and become a vampire then you lose being a werewolf. I presume you can go back to the Companions and get re-wolfed, but I've not explored it. The thing is though, they introduce two new perk trees, one for werewolf and one for vampires, and the only way to get the perk points to fill t is to eat people as a werewolf and vampire. Of course there is an achievement for doing each of these so you may want to do them if you're a trophy hunter.

I played the game fighting the vampires as a member of the Dawnguard so what I did before choosing sides was turn into a werewolf and go on a massive kill spree the likes of which has never been seen. solitude will never be the same. It took about an hour or so to kill the 120 odd people necessary to max out the wolf perk tree. I saved the game after the carnage, a work mate mentioned to me after the fact that I could of done all that, popped the trophy and then just reloaded my game like nothing happened. Yup, Solitude is looking pretty barren of people at the moment. :P

Anyway, when you start playing you join the Dawnguard and pretty soon after you face the vampires. You'll be given the option at that point to become a vampire. If you choose to do so you will have ditched the Dawnguard and officially joined the vamps. So if you want to not be a vampire then say NO! Later on in the quest you will have the option to be a vampire again, even though you are a signed on member of the Dawnguard. At that point I chose to be one, did what I needed to do and then went on another mass kill spree to max out the vampire perk tree. When you return to the Dawnguard as a vampire they will shun you and send you off to Markarth (I think) to be cured. All you need is a Black Soul Gem to do it.

As far as I can tell that cure is supposed to be permanent but I've had to do it a couple of times since, the vampire thing seemed to come back. I don't know if that's a bug or if I got re-infected when fighting vampires.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
got blowed up good yesterday in Minecraft then fell hard into lava while in a cave running from a group (a pride? a pack?) of exploding penises. That was wild... was burning up and just watched my health dwindle. Eating didn't do a thing. No water to put myself out. I was groaning... my big beautiful home would be far away. But not! It wasn't! I died but...

(spoiler) if you sleep in a bed you make you'll appear there after a death. and since I'm spilling the beans... you can also make a compass and a map with things in the game. so getting lost will soon be a thing of that past. I have found what I needed to use but just have to go back down and get it!! I'll be taking a BED with me. hahaha! (/spoiler)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ok... I lost sleep the other day when I got killed. ...plus, I'm thinking about what I'm going to do when I play next while I'm at work. That's powerful stuff.

Now, it may not be ev'body's cup, .. some do like Terriania better. I love Terriania... but I'm playing MC. ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My kids play minecraft. But everytime I look at it on the XBOX, I just roll my eyes because I don't get the appeal, it just seems wildly boring. I just don't get the appeal.

Then again, I guess it's all a matter of perspective. While I have enjoyed Bioshock, etc. my most played game is easily Wordament, which I get in a few hundred games a day while I work.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
There is a lite version you can try for free. (this is absolutely true) I played that lite version for a few minutes and turned it off. I began to notice how others on the net were constantly talking about it. I gave it another try and just did a 180. Truely, among the very top of addictive games I've played. Waiting to get burned out on it since I have such a back log of other games, plus a bunch of new flicks on my shelf like Ten Commandments and Ben Hurr, African Queen, etc... I'm dying to see again. :(

It's true open ended, I believe. Exploration, treasure hunting, building, crafting, very lite combat...

I did something fun yesterday, made a loooong set of stairs from far beneath my house that lead down to an area I was exploring, that before was dangerous to get to. My stairs, which I built a stone enclosure complete with windows and a door where it comes out, is right next to my pig sty. I built a safe home down below too, which is very cool. I found some elements I needed, like diamond and red stone... I'm closing in places with doors to keep the creepies out. That's what's really fun about it. You do whatever you want... see what's down below a ton of dirt and rock. Venture far away from your safe places, making sure you're well armed and plenty of food for the trip, see what you can bring back. ...I'm thinking I need to try the multiplayer element to see what that does. it would be very cool to play around in a world like this knowing there are others there doing the same thing.

... my jungle trees grew very tall but I don't see any cocoa fruits on them. :( I want chocalote chip cookies and I want them now!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I feel like I've lived about a month in the Minecraft world over a few days. It's trippy to overplay a game like this one. I need to wean myself off this game with a drug that's easy to get off of. Oxycotton? Is that what that's stuff's called?

Still..Minecraft. Found a prebuilt mine I was very excited about. Built a great house, started down into this mine (really, a HUGE gash in the ground with visible mine cars, etc way down below) with my diamond weapons/tools in inventory and suddenly a spider...I'm falling... falling... falling... that's all folks. I had maps but left them in a box in the building. So my greatest loss was my enchanted diamond thingies. :( I'm back at my other house (which is good) so I had to find the other place again to try and get my weapons back at least. Set off, failed but found my way back to my other house... set off again with new maps and a dog that I forgot was following me...FOUND! But the weapons/tools disappeared. I'd like to see them chagne it so the weapons are there...maybe they wear down a bit as time passes and you have to repair them. Just making them disappear after time is completely annoying.

Plus, bought Dead Island for $5 from amazon. I've played it a lot of someone elses PC... But now my own copy, starting from the beginning. Seriouslty fun game, but for me it's more like Farcry 2 than Fallout 3. And I like it often for reasons others list as CONS. Limited weapons is great, mostly malee... occasionally I'd like a pistol with limited ammo, something you'd expect to find on an island like this. anyway, probably comes later in the game... good time ahead!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, my kids always like to show me minecraft things, thinking it's "cool". Most recently they built a room in their house and put lots of animals in it, then somehow put a small lava stream in it and whammo! Cooked animals.

Who knows about that game, doesn't seem like my bag, but I'm glad they like it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I told a fella I work with, who has a young son inspiring to be a guitar player, not to let his kid go anywhere near that minecraft! He'll get more out of his guitaring.

You can pick up lava just like water, I found out. Using a bucket. And you make the bucket with iron. And you mine iron ore in the mines. Then you process the ore in your furnace that you made from stone you mined using the crafting table you made from wood. lol My brain is begining to operate just like the game. this gets that, then that gets the other thing, then the other thing...yada yada! I like the Settlers games for the same reason. They are grinding, but darn fun at the same time.

Oh, I had a pet dog in my house that followed me from the other house I have. I tried to leave him home safe, but a few days ago he followed me and fell in the lava. I was helpless to do anything, no water. :( I was actually a little sad by that. what a game! I'll get another dog as soon as I find one and be much more careful. Glad I didn't name that one.

Gamersgate had a silent Hunter sub sale. Made me play 5, which I'd bought from them before. Repurchased SH4 to replace my disc copy and get the addon. But they ran out of serial keys so I can't play it yet. Also picked up Silent Hunter 3 and install it with the GW3.0 mod. Not bad... but i like 5 better despite it's problems. I plan to add whatever mods there are to it. It's just so better looking and creates much better atmosphere and "you are there" feel. 8 years ago SH3 would be "it". Not now.... looking forward to finally getting SH4 back on. I think it's a good balance of gameplay and good looks. Eventually SH5 should be modded up and great. Everything is there, just needs adjustment. Maybe SH6 will do it. lol

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Civilization Revolution. I borrowed this from a friend back in 2009. I bought it anew last week and am playing again after a four year hiatus.Still disappointed the sequel was canceled. It's a great game, but its clearly a first gen Xbox 360 game. It needs to be tuned up, to run more smoothly and refine the control more.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Finally found my diamonds. 3 or 4 different mines/mineshafts searched, huge ones, and nothing. Finally found it after some digging through some walls and coming out in a cave/mineshaft right near where I built an underground safety shelter in the rock. It was near a lava flow. About 4. So I have 5. Plenty for a couple of enchantment tables or maybe a table and diamond sword. I'm definitely in the mood for some cross county exploring. I still want to find my other houses. So next I'll get stuff together for map making. I have plenty of those redstones needed. And sugarcane for the paper. .... soon I need to force myself to give this game a break like I did before.

Downloaded/installed Silent Hunter 4. I'll be modding that and playing it a bit this weekend. Really looking forward to that.

gog.com has some of those Telltale games on extreme sale. Tales of Monkey Island usually sells for $35. It's $5.75. Back to the Future is $3.75. I probably won't be playing those this weekend.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Minecraft. Doing some travelling. And, yep, a little lost. But I have maps (ended up off the map, lol) and a compass (forgot which way, but I think I have it now). I have torches in several places and safe houses, some with everything I need to actually BE safe. lol I did find 2 villages close together with people wandering around aimlessly. I hope they'll give them more AI in future editions so they'll seem to be doing more than running in and out of buildings. Still, fun to be able to trade with them. I had one of those green things damage one of their houses because of me. So I took the time to fix that for them. :P

B17 Flying Fortress: Mighty 8th. Old sim I got for $1.50. Graphically very dated. Had the even older first game in the series on my old Amiga. I printed out the hot keys. Will see if it's still fun to shoot down the enemies while the computer flys the plane. Probably won't give this much time even though this was an instant classid at the time, along with the first game.

FIFA 12. Just bought FIFA 13 on sale. But I need to put some more hours into this one to justify what I paid for it. Not a problem, it's fantastic. right now just learning all the moves... but I can tell this is top notch. Been playing these since FIFA 96, one I played the hell out of. But this one is far above it. I understand 13 is even better.

Craving Portal. Minecraft calls the cake a "LIE". I think that's inspired by Portal. Anyway, will probably play both those through again. I think it will be 3rd time for Portal. But it may be 4th for it and 3rd for Portal 2. Pining for Portal 3 or at least some DLC for these.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Radioman970 said:
Craving Portal. Minecraft calls the cake a "LIE". I think that's inspired by Portal. Anyway, will probably play both those through again. I think it will be 3rd time for Portal. But it may be 4th for it and 3rd for Portal 2.
This will be your 4th playthrough of Portal and you think the cake is a lie is from that game? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks