What's new

What are you listening to right now? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Something fairly unique...I was selected for a comparison test of a new clear vinyl LP formulation of Side A of Blue Train by Classic Records (45 rpm). The Clarity record was created to remove the magnetic properties of standard vinyl which gets magnetized via carbon addition.

Removing the magnetic carbon lowers the noise floor. Classic sent me two records, one standard pressing and one exactly the same but with the new Clarity vinyl.

Here are my listening notes:

I just heard the two 45 rpm pressings of the Blue Train cut on the Scoutmaster with Sonata cart feeding an Audio Research PH3SE).

First, the black 200 gram pressing sounded really fine with nice amount of detail and a nice deep soundstage. Very nice to have this in my collection.

Second, the almost clear but slight greyish Clarity vinyl. Looks cool, sounds even better. I'm hearing the following things which I imagine come from the non-magnetic vinyl:

>> More detail all around. Hear more of the strings on the walking bass, and a ton of detail on the sax including hall which I did not hear much of before.

>> Quieter background.

>> Better dynamics.

>> Better layering and isolation of the instrments.

>> More realistic piano tone, sort of a bigger image across the keyboard width.

This is a nice upgrade for Classic Records and the record is quite stylish. It will take some time to adjust to using a record brush on something other than jet black but it's really no biggie.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Atom Heart Mother suite, from Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd). What an awesome album. :emoji_thumbsup:
The harmonic meandering up to the vocals (it stabilizes at that point around E minor and A minor) reminds me eerily of Jean de Macques (1550-1614). The succession of chords are not as wild as C. Gesualdo IMO, but it is nearly as unpredictable. How I would have loved to have been at this recording session. I recall, back in 1973, when I first heard Dark Side Of the Moon, how reviews of it I read were nearly unanimous in labeling it 'acid rock' (probably for want of a more effective descriptor). Great stuff.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joseph J.D said:
Doing some importing of The Moody Blues 'Time Traveller' boxset into my iTunes........listening to 'Question' right now. Great track...and a great set.
I love the Moody Blues. One day, I will need to pick up their entire catalogue.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Knots (Gentle Giant).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Summer '68, from Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brahms 3rd Symphony. Solti & Chicago on London.
Next on the shuffle is Not Now John, Pink Floyd from The Final Cut.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
About to load Alice Coopers "Welcome To My Nightmare". Been awhile since I've played this one. It's one of my favorite DVD-A's. This would also make a good edition of Classic Albums.

Lex Hopkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Lex Hopkins
The Definitive Roy Orbison collection. Great stuff, and the previously unreleased material doesn't disappoint. Still loving the 'crying' duet with K.D Lang too...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dieu dinmi tu! (F. Landini, performed by T. Binkley et al.)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Highwave to Hell by the Danish Surf band "El Ray". Very Halloweenish, good stuff. I see on their website that their bassist just passed away, RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks