What's new

what are the screen dimensions for a 43" and 50" w/s hdtv (1 Viewer)

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
What i need to know is the actual inches the screen is wide and high so i can make cardboard cutouts to see wich size will be good in my smallish room. i will have a 9-10foot viewing distance and i think 50 might be to big. I am looking at the new samsung dlp rptv's and want to make a decision before i pre-order.

thanks

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Joe, I don't have any links or fancy equations. But dropping back to algebra, the hypotenuse for a 9/16 right triangle is 18.26. Then using a ratio, the width for the 50" is 16/18.26 = x/50; 18.36x = 800; x = 43.57 inches.

I'll add that, contrary to many posts, in my opinion you can go too big. I have a 8-9 feet viewing distance and went with a 47" because I read so much "go bigger". In retrospect I would have gone with a 42".

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
Wow thanks. so what is the main reason you would have went smaller.? do you see the pixels if you go to big or is the picture just to overwhelming like when you sit in the ront row of a theater?

thanks

Joe

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It's a little overwhelming, very much like the first row of the theater (but without the neck strain!). Not a lot mind you, but enough that I'm conscious of it. It's also true that you see slight pixelation when viewing non-HD signals, but I was execting that and didn't care.

Another factor might be that when I was checking them out in the stores the surrounding area was relatively bright, so the big screen didn't stand out; but when I watch movies the room is dark, so the brightness of the screen is dramatic.

I have to add that my set (my 1st) is only three weeks old, so maybe I'll get used to it. Also, although I lowered the signals to the levels you see promoted elsewhere on the forum, I have not yet calabrated it. I wanted to wait for any dramatic initial setling-in to occur.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
I really believe this is a matter of individual judgement, and tastes. I sit about 11" from the very FRONT of the set (the actual screen). I went with a 65". I am glad I did not go any smaller.

There are also other things that can affect this decision. If your incoming source signal is absolutely terribe, it is possible to be sitting too close, and to see magnified artifacts, especially if it is a very high quality set. Then the bigger screen is magnifying any defects right along with the screen image.

That said, I actually watch a great deal of analog cable TV. However, my Cable TV feed is (obviously) a pretty good one. My family loves the image of a 65" at 11 feet, even on the Cable (which is what THEY watch 95% of the time). I am probably at 40% Progressive Scan DVD and 60% Cable.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
go to
Link Removed
this should help you find what you're looking for.

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
Ever try taking a tape measure to the Bewt Buy and measuring a few?...worked for me.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
that is perfect Brad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
exactly what i was looking for....well its actualy better than what i was looking for.:D the more info the better.
thanks.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks