What's new

What are the best made-for-TV movies available on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Brian's Song (1971). No, the picture and audio quality aren't stellar (but are decent for a 33 year old TV movie), but it is one of the most emotional films ever made for the small screen. The commentary track with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams is extremely fun and silly at the start (Caan claims that he only agreed to do the film in order to get a tryout with the Bears), but both seem to be crying with the rest of us at the end.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I love all those old made-for-tv movies from the 1970s, so most of the movies on dvd I own are vintage and released by cheapo companies:

"Satan's School for Girls"

"Death at Love House"

"The Woman Hunter" with Barbara Eden

"The Night Stalker"

"Trilogy of Terror"

"Jane Doe" with Karen Valentine as amnesia victim stalked by a killer. Good Print.

"Death Sentence" with Cloris Leachman on jury duty

"Get Christie Love"

"The Boy in the Plastic Bubble"

"Summer of Fear" Linda Blair TV movie directed by Wes Craven

"Charlie's Angels" pilot was actually a TV movie that aired months before TV series. It is on the 1st season boxed set.

"Visions of Murder" Barbara Eden again

TedT

Second Unit
I liked the new version of "Salem's Lot". "Storm Of The Century" was also pretty cool.

danak

Second Unit
If you are counting miniseries (and it looks like posters are), "The Stand", "Band of Brothers", "Roots", "North and South" (Books 1 and 2), "Taken" and "From the Earth to the Moon" are high up on my list. For regular TV movies, "The Day After" is at the top of my list.

Why oh why don't the networks make and run miniseries like they used to? They are too afraid to lose ratings to run something more than 2 nights. It's all left to the cable and pay-TV networks. If the Sci-Fi channel, as pathetic as they are, can manage "Taken", I think the networks can put on something more than once every few years that runs more than 2 nights.

"Storm of the Century" was interesting, but it was too bloated in my opinion. It could have easily been cut from 3 nights to 2.

I look forward to seeing "Holocaust", "Roots: The Next Generation", and "Special Bulletin" eventually on DVD.

Dana in MD

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
The 2 Dune mini-series that ran on the Scifi Channel a year or 2 ago are very good:

1) Frank Herbert's Dune (

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
dont be afraid of the dark was the creepiest/scariest thing i ever saw on tv.

too bad it's not available because that would be near the top of the lsit of best tv movies on dvd .

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone, long-time lurker and first-time poster here.

I just wanted to add "Helter Skelter" (1976 version) to the list of recommendations. Steve Railsback is the most disturbing Charles Manson ever (except for the real one :angry: )

Also, if you're a fan of Kathy Bates (and who isn't?), you might want to check out a movie called "My Sister's Keeper", where she plays a woman with mental illness. And no, not like the mental illness she had in Misery :D

JohnMor, I agree. Would absolutely LOVE to see "The Legend of Lizzie Borden" come out on DVD!

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
If going with mini-series, I would have to place a vote for Shogun, one of my favorites. Another would be Centennial...and a hope for this one to someday be released on DVD.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have always had a soft spot for the 1972 Gargolyes. Scary stuff for 9 year olds back in the day.

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
My list for best TV made movies;

THE STAND

THE SHINING

EARLY FROST

THE MARRIAGE OF LENTRA

BRIANS SONG

SOLAR TUBE MADNESS

STORM OF THE CENTURY

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I know these aren't made for TV, but I like the old sexplotation and blacksplotation movies from the '70's. Some of my favorites that are on DVD are :

Switchblade Sisters
Coffy
Foxy Brown
The Van
Black Mama, White Mama
Truck Turner

These are just fun to watch :)

Randy

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Alan_H: Yes! The 1976 Helter Skelter! How could I forget that!

But I also want to mention the 2004 Helter Skelter, which I thought was excellent, and makes a great "prequel" of sorts to the 1976 version. Jeremy Davies definitely gives Steve Railsback a run for his money (which I never thought possible). Two really incredible performances. I have both versions on DVD and they are highly recommended.

Chuck_D

Agent
The Stand..scared the crap out of me...

Brian's Song....best TV sports movie ever....you just don't have a heart if you have a dry eye when it is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks