What's new

What Are Some of the Best Commentary Tracks? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
with The Lord of the Rings you get Directors, Actors, Visual Effects, and more with each having its own commentary. I don't know of any other movie/movies that do this.
Some of the Fincher Special Edition have this. I think there are like 10 different commentaries between "Fight Club" "Se7en" and "Panic Room"

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I second votes for The Limey and This is Spinal Tap. Both very innovative in their own ways, and feel more like extensions of their respective movies rather than commentaries. My all-time favourite for sheer entertainment value is Catriona McColl & David Warbeck's commentary on The Beyond. Absolutely hilarious, and very poignant as Warbeck died a short time afterwards. Honourable mentions should go to Chris Columbus for his stunningly-prepared commentary for the laserdisc box set of Mrs. Doubtfire. I also love the James Bond group commentaries- feel like additions to the brilliant Inside... documentaries.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I kind of like the commentary on the independent film A BETTER PLACE... Love William Freidkin's commentary on the original cut of THE EXORCIST (conversely, I think his commentary on "The Version You've Never Seen" is terrible). Also think Eli Roth's solo commentary on CABIN FEVER is fantastic. Vincent

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Soon i'll surely buy T2 that Skynet edition,the one that says the commentary includes 26 cast and crew.... It's a 2-hour movie.....did they ask the janitor's assistant too ? what i remember from that day is cleaning out all the pieces of mercury from the T-1000.... Ridley Scott does seem like he was born to do commentary,and he's got this nice soothing voice and calls every one mate. Funniest bit ever from Ridley On ,i believe,the 2-disc dvd commentary for Gladiator,as Crowe kills Pheonix,there is a shot of the crowd,and they had asked the extras to not move so it would feel like everyone is stunned at this. Sure enough,one guy smack in the middle of the frame scratches his head,so goes from being a roman to an extra in a film Ridley says :Look at this motherf...Russell has just killed the prince of darkness and this idiot is scratching his head !! :D I'd do an honorable mention list,but i'll just say that as long as the commentary done is informative and provides some insight on the filmmaking process since for the most part,participants only get one shot at this (save for poor Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer ) then i think it's good. Or like the background story of William Winchell for Sweet smell of success.

ArchMike

Agent
Real Name
Mike Alavane
Most of the Disney/Pixar commentaries are very good. Actually, very few films seem to have the same level of bonus features that you get with a Pixar flick - they really do give you enough to occupy a week or more.

Writer-dad

Grip
Real Name
Daniel MacDonald
Oliver Stone on Platoon

Steven Soderbergh and Scott Frank on Out of Sight

Ridley Scott's original DVD track for Alien

Martin Scorsese and Paul Schrader on Taxi Driver (the 1990 laserdisc port to the Blu-ray)

I agree that the multitude of tracks on many of David Fincher's films are top notch - I especially like the topic-specific commentaries on SE7EN.

And hands-down the funniest commentary I've ever heard is Adam McKay, Will Ferrell, and John C. Riley on Step Brothers - with a live 'score' performed by composed Jon Brion. A close second would be Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg on Shaun of the Dead.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The Showgirls commentary is priceless entertainment. Other commentaries I enjoyed were Roger Waters' surprisingly funny take on Pink Floyd: The Wall and the hilarious deconstruction of Armageddon on the Criterion DVD complete with Sling Blade imitations, I reckon mmm hmmmm.
"More than any other bad movie, or movie that is perceived as a bad movie, Showgirls triumphs in that every single person involved in the making of the film--from writers, actors, gaffers, every single one of them--is making the worst possible decision at every possible time, and it is this incredible density of failure that makes Showgirls sublime."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks