What's new

What are people teaching their children!? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Since my parents first 2 out of 7 were angels as children and had various "problems" as adults, I comfort my mom by telling her about pancakes. Every cook knows the first couple of pancakes always come out lousy until the pan gets seasoned and the heat is correct. I tell my mom her first two out may not have been perfect, but she got the hang of it after that. :D

Yes, my family has a strange sense of humor. It's what kept us sane growing up in a house full of 10 crazy people.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Joe Said:

Oh, man, you have my sympathies. We have some friends who are like that and we just keep getting suprised.

- The kid slept in their bed every night until he was well past turning six. And only then because they were starting to realize they'd made a mistake. When dad tried to get the boy to sleep in his room one night the kid said "no, you sleep in there and sleep in there EVERY NIGHT." Dad lost that battle. For the next two years.

- They keep the house so clean and spotless the kid built no immune system and, thus, seemed to always be on antibiotics "What? Again?" (if mom tries on a blouse and decides not to wear it she doesn't hang it back up, she throws it in the hamper. germs, you know)

- They got a new nanny and expressed annoyance that she bathed him on her first day without telling them. My wife and I both thought the same thing - that they were concerned about the intimate nature of the activity. No. They were concerned the kid might drown! "You can drown in an inch of water!" we were told. They said they don't even let his mother bathe the kid without one of them present.

- My wife asked the mom why they didn't put the kid in preschool during one conversation and the mom said it was because she was afriad terrorists might take over the school. I kid you not.

oh, it goes on. I hope this doesn't sound like your childhood!

-paul

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Guys... at the moment we're talking about a 3 year old. Maybe later when he can understand what a gun can really do."

I remember being about 7 or so and my dad let me hold his gun. He worked in NYC at a bank and always wore one. This was the only time I ever remember him taking the gun off in front of me. I asked if I could hold it. He took out the bullets, told me to look at him and listen as he explained guns arent toys, and should never be pointed,etc and put it in my hand.

I looked at it for a second and gave it back.

I was also watching Rated R movies at a young age. Halloween,Dirty Harry, Apocalypse Now,dozens of martial arts films,etc all before the age of 10. Whenever I went to the movies with another parent or relative, I always wished I was with my dad and watching The Warriors or something else. I remember my grandmother giving him a hard time once becuase when she took me to the movies and I wanted to see something I cant rememeber right now and granny said "your too young to see that" I said "Dad would let me" and when we returned she went on a rant of why do you let him see this stuff?

Years later he said jokingly said "hey it taught you do be open minded and love cinema"

I always understood that what I was seeing was not real and make believe.

Why I understood that while others didnt/dont, I dont know.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup: Agree. It's like glancing at hot teenaged girls at the mall for an hour, and then your buddy turns to you and says, "How would you feel if you had a teenaged daughter and had guys looking at her like that?".

Errrrrr...wellllll.... :b

I think your kid will turn out fine. Good job! Now if only you could get that annoying rabblerouser tyke in his class kicked out!

Speaking of scary parenting stories - I know of one family where all 3 kids are being breastfed. The oldest is six years old. I am disturbed.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, just another example of those that belong to the Leleche (sp??) Cult...Errr...Society. The same psychos that claimed my sister was not "a complete woman" and "a horrible mother" because she could not feed a set of 8 lbs each twins with her (how to say it delicately???) lack of production. I guess they'd rather the kids starve than to actually deprive them of the "bonding" experience. I'm sorry but after 6 years of breast feeding, if the kid has not bonded yet, it's time to try something else.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Yeah, no kidding. My sister in law was at the park with her kids and saw a mom call over her... we'll say five year old, cant recall exactly. She then whipped out a breast and the kid went to town. Sis was horrified.

-paul

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I hate to bring up this thread again, but I was thinking about this topic today. My supervisor brought her 4 year old girl in today and while she's a cute kid - she's a bit of a hellion, but listen to this:

She came in my office and saw the Star Wars posters on my wall. She was talking about the light sabers and basically this is what she said:

"I have a real sword! I was in the woods and there was this kid that I don't like and I hit him with the sword." then she said "I have a gun too. I was shooting like 5 bullets." (as she demonstrates by using her hand as a gun)

I was like :eek: so I asked "Did he get hurt?" and she goes "Yeah, I killed him. He's dead. I shot him in the tongue....I took my sword and cut it in half." She then was demonstrating by showing me (with her hands) how to cut a tongue in half.

I was half in shock, and half trying not to laugh. :D It was so funny to hear all of this coming from a little/cute girl. It was apparent that she picked this up from movies that she watches.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
SEE! :D

Now imagine if YOUR kid came home from school one day saying that and you KNOW it's not from your house...

Incidentally, since this was brought up - the BAD KID I've mentioned earlier in this thread is no longer at the school and the change in my son's behaviour was instantaneous and amazing. We had to ask the teacher if anything had changed at the school because his behaviour changed so much - she mentioned the Kid was gone and it's affected the entire class in the same way.

We're amazed that one kid can have such a negative effect to the kids around him.

-paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks