What's new

What are my options? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
I've just bought a beautiful new car. A 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe w/manual transmission. It came with the premium package, which means the Bose 225 watt powered speaker deal. It doesn't sound *terrible*, but could certainly stand improvement. The thing is, the dash does not have a standard DIN cutout - the controls are all over the place, visible through specific cutouts in the dash, as is the CD slot.

What I'd like is a few things. First, I'd like to replace the head, if possible, with a MP3/WMA player like I had in my old car. Second, I'd like to add either XM or Sirius satellite radio, but not through some ridiculous cassette or FM connection. I want a hard wired connection. Last, I would like better bass response and cleaner, crisper sound. The Bose setup is warmer than I'd like, and not as punchy and clear as I'd like in the mids and higher frequencies.

Anyone have any ideas? I've not really considered budget yet - just trying to think about ideas and get a general sense of what is and what isn't possible (within reason, of course).

VinhT

Second Unit
The head unit could be somewhat difficult, as it may be a while before a company releases a dash kit for your vehicle.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
Check with Metra. They may already have a replacement kit for he G35. That car's been out long enough by now to have at least one floating around.

Alpine CDA-9813 offers what you want in a head unit.
Vdrive internal amplifier, 3 sets ov 4V pre-outs, MP3/WMA support, CDR/CDRW support, 6 disc Ai CD changer controls, XM radio controls with optional XM tuner module, built-in 5 band parametric EQ, and 3 way crossover. Terrific head unit for about $285 street price. I just put one in my Grand Cherokee.

Kicker has some good amplifiers for subs. CDT offers very good component speakers, and for subs, that's up to you.. JL Audio, Onyx, eD, DD, MMATS, Adire. plenty good ones to choose from.

kevitra

Second Unit
Does the Alpine CDA-9813 actually have decent power, or is it all hype? I've seen them claim that it requires an amp installation kit because it draws so much power. It is hard to believe they could fit decent amps into a headunit.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
its very clean and quite powerful for what it is.
the Vdrive amplifer is a MOSFET hybrid amp, and it does need a dedicated 10AWG line from the battery terminal.
I replaced my JVC El Kameleon with the CDA-9813.
Average listening volume of the JVC in a grand cherokee was between 15 and 20. the Alpine's volume is usually set to about 10-12, and both are on a scale of 0 to 35.
With Infinity Kappa separates in front and coaxials in back, and a single 8" sub in back with it's own amp, it sounds really good for a simple system.
Not as nice as having dedicated amplifiers for everything of course, but certainly better than anything else with an integrated amplifier, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks