What's new

What amp to get for this setup? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Dan
New to this forum. any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

I wanna do an all room integrated sound system connected to my imac. A bit confused on which speaker/amp combo will be good for me. I know i wanna go with ceiling mounted speakers. Ive been looking at yamahas ceiling mount speakers but there all 8ohm, but the outdoor speakers i want are 6ohm. Dont know if theres an amp that has outputs for both 6ohm and 8ohm? also dont know how many channels i need?

I was thinking about two dual voice coil speakers (yamaha NS-ICS600), one each for bedroom and hallway so i can get stereo sound from one speaker.

4 2-way speakers (yamaha NS-IW560c). A pair each for the kitchen and living room.

For outside i wanna mount two yamaha NS-AW592, which are the 6ohm speakers. And 1 stereo boston acoustic rock speaker RK6T2.

Im not sure how many channels i need for all these speakers on the amp? Really confused. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks Dan

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most receivers are designed for 8 ohm speakers and will power 6 ohm speakers without any issues. It's 4 ohm or less that can cause problems.

As for the speakers in different rooms, do you want them to run independant of each other or all from the same source component? It looks like you will need a receiver with at least 2 Zones and either a speaker switch or a multi-channel amplifier (assuming the receiver has the proper pre-outs) that can power several sets of speakers from a single two channel choice. This is the type of amplifier you would find in a store or restaurant. I have an 8 channel Knoll amp (http://www.knollsystems.com/prod-amp-4k.html) which has a feature called Channel Link which would work for this. 2 channels in (from the receivers pre-outs) and 8 channels to the speakers in various rooms.

A receiver with the Zone 2 option and a speaker switcher http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SSW-Speaker-Selector-Pairs/dp/B00005NCWM/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304817318&sr=1-2-catcorr (???) might be an easier option. Maybe others can come up with even better ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks