1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

what amp for 4 ohm speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CodyL, Aug 5, 2002.

1. CodyL

CodyL Member

I am looking to setup my new HT with GR-Research AV1+ speakers which are 4 ohm. Was going to get the Denon 1803, but the manual to the 2802 (supposedly close in specs) states not to run speakers below 6 ohm. Looked at the Outlaw 1050 and it doesn't comment on whether 4 ohm is OK either. I am new at this and have read all of the posts I could dig up on searches here, but I can't find a definitive answer on what my options are for a 4 ohm setup (preferably 6.1 - like the Denon). HELP a poor newbie! I have to know if these speakers are OK so I can get started building the cabinets to enclose the 106" screen that will incorporate my speakers of choice - so I must know my dimensions. I somewhat understand the ohm difference, I am just looking to see what I can affordably run that will handle 4 ohm speakers. thanks.

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Well-Known Member

You should probably tell us your price range if you want recommendations for receivers or amps.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Well-Known Member

I agree with Jason...but I'll offer a suggestion or two anyway in terms of running 4 Ohms:

H/K's are rated to 2 Ohm in Stereo and handle 4 Ohm Multi-channel with no sweat. But they do not offer 6 channel amping...only decoding. Outlaw 1050 at $499 gives 6.1 and excellent power and sound but is getting a little dated. 4 Ohms should not be a problem.

4. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Well-Known Member

I used to have an onkyo tx-ds494 (lowest in the onkyo line) and ran it at 4ohms for 6 hours a day with no problems whatsoever. Now I have a Yamaha and it too has no problems. Yamaha's and Harman Kardon's both have 4-8ohm switches. Almost any reputable brand wil work fine with 4 homs spekaers. The Denon will be fine, as would Marantz.
    Later

5. CodyL

CodyL Member

Price wise- I am thinking under 700 MSRP or so. Would like to pay in the $500's. I have thought about HK 520; pioneer 811; denon 2802 (or I'd really like to have the 1803 if it will drive 4 ohms). The outlaw is priced right, but as you said seems dated (and is damn ugly - which would matter to my wife [​IMG] yamaha 5560, onkyo 600, etc. I am NOT trying to build the envy of the neighborhood - just great sound for the money and the AV1+ speakers seem the way to go for best speaker for the money, but I need to be able to drive them at 4 ohm. I am surprised that receivers aren't rated for 4 ohms. thanks for your help, particularly in reference to anything you can tell me about the Denon.

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Well-Known Member

Cody,

Now that we have some $ figures...H/K 320, Marantz 5200, Outlaw 1050, and the 1803/2802 should all be candidates.
    Are you more heavily HT or Music?

7. peter a

peter a Well-Known Member

cody-
    see if you can snag that 3802 from 6ave.com for 699... sweet deal.
    p

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

hi,
    i'm interested in Magneplanars and these are also 4 ohm speakers.
    i was talking to someone in the technical wing at Magnepan and he said that when a reciever uses the 8 ohm/4 ohm switches in the back, thats a sign that they aren't very good quality (maybe just in regards to running 4 ohms?).

i was under the impression that i was going to have to buy a seperate amplifiers, and processors, and what not, to get a good multi channel 4 ohm power source.

Do you guys really think i can get by w/ an HK or Denon, etc.

also, if i did buy one of these kinds of a/v recievers, does that mean i can just in the future purchase seperate amplifiers and plug those into the reciever?
    -and then the reciever would just take in and decode the multi channel dd dts signal, and the amplifier would handel all the power to the 4 ohm speakers...right?

is there anything i should be looking for especially?

i too was hoping to find a multi channel 4ohm solution for under $700.

sorry for the remedial questions, but i'm kind of confused on the issues involved.

9. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Well-Known Member

There are no 4ohm/8ohm switches on Harman Kardon Receivers.

And the AVR 320 or AVR 520 (IMO) would offer you the best choice

Regards,

John Casler

10. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Well-Known Member

I have a 5.1 system with maggies for speakers. MMG’s for mains, MGMC1 for surround and the MGCC1 For centre channel. All running off a Denon 3300.

I have had no problems with this set up and it sounds very good!

Truth is I am a tempted to upgrade the system, Maybe an outlaw pre/pro with the custom ICBM for maggies (yes they have one and it’s $75.00 more for it)

For power amps, I would most likely go with an ATI set up.

11. Greg_W

Greg_W Well-Known Member

Yes you can use 4 ohm speakers, From Denon's website
    www.usa.denon.com/support/faqs_ht.asp#Q9

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies.
    the dealer i saw the maggies at let me take them home this weekend to demo.
    he also gave me the reciever they were using in-store- an NAD T-761.
    he said he would sell me this demo unit for $800.
    is that a fair price w/ 2 years parts and labour?

i'm impressed with the reciever right off the bat.
    before hooking up the maggies i disconnected the Rockets, which i'm also thinking about, from the Onkyo 600 i had been using and connected them up to the NAD.
    HUGE difference.
    it was almost like having different speakers.
    i only listened to a couple tracks, but i was immediately aware of much 'cleaner' sound. a bigger swing in dynamics, from soft to loud at the same volume, and a little more precise imaging.
    i only listened to a couple songs because i was eager to get the maggies set-up, but i was startled at the difference.
    the Onkyo went back to the store an hour later.
    it also has the best remote i've seen (although the on-screen display for changing some settings would be a major hassle)

the maggies sound good for the most part, but i don't think i can get anywhere near the soundstage they can in the store.
    i have a low ceiling and limited options to place them, especially when watching movies.
    after a couple hours of listening to various things, i'm actually anxious to hook the rockets back up and listen to them in a HT application (which was their strong suit anyway even on the Onk).

13. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Well-Known Member

Paul The NAD surprised you did it. That is a common thing to happen. I have used NAD equipment for a number of years. I have a full NAD two channel system at home. For the money, you will be hard pressed to find a better sounding equipment. Only reason I did not go NAD on the HT is the T761 was not out.
    Also check audiogon for deals on the NAD. One dealer is selling factory refurbish unit for a good price. www.spearitsound.com I know nothing about them, just that they claim to have T761’s refurbish for $599.

14. CodyL

CodyL Member

i am getting closer to a decision. 811S or the Denon 1803. Both seem to have pluses/minuses for my needs. About 85%HT 15% music (clean crisp sound over heavy bass rock). Matched with GR-Research AV1+ front/center and AV1 surrounds and Tempest or Shiva sub. Cannot find anywhere to demo in a satisfactory way (poor speakers, etc). Help me make the call.