What's new

What About The One?? (1 Viewer)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I'm just surprised that no one on this board has even mentioned this movie. From the trailer it looks kinda like a Matrix rip/spinoff, but with a cooler concept IMO. Anything with parallel dimensions is good in my book. The special effects look awesome and the fight scenes that were in the trailer looked pretty intense. I hope there's a good plot attached to it because based on the concept and what little I've seen from the trailer I'm drooling all over this one.
------------------
"I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
"One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone
"I don't drink much. Just when I'm with someone else, or by myself." - Some random geezer

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
This is about the only movie besides Training Day I've really been looking forward to. The TV spots I've been seeing look great. I have high hopes for this one for the following reasons:
1. The screenwriters/director (Glen Morgan and James Wong) for this movie were responsible for some of my favorite X-Files episodes.
2. I like the bad guy role Jet Li played in Lethal Weapon 4 and I look forward to seeing him playing both the villain/hero role here.
3. I want to see the various martial art styles Jet Li demonstrates for both his characters.
4. I just love sci-fi in general and I like the concept of the whole plot.
------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/sk/hitman1/AJtheatercover

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Jet Li is quickly becoming the Jackie Chan for this generation. Same film, same stunts, same everything except for the title. He is doing what Chan did when he gained notoriety...he is overloading the market. Seems like he has a new film every 3 months. Seeing his work say once, maybe twice a year is fine. But, seeing him in the same one-dimensional role time after time gets boring.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
Jet Li is quickly becoming the Jackie Chan for this generation. Same film, same stunts, same everything except for the title.
ummmmm Bruce...you realize this is Jet Li's 1st attempt ever at a sci-fi film right? And you do realize Jackie Chan has never made a sci-fi film right? Your statement is a little confusing.
------------------
[Edited last by AJ Johnson on October 19, 2001 at 02:58 PM]

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The role was originally intended for wrestling's The Rock. When he went off to do SCORPIAN KING, they got Jet Li.
Jet Li is great and I can't wait to see him in this.
Matt
------------------
Honk Kong DVD Reviews and News
loveandbullets.com

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I'm looking forward to see Jet Li to kick ass. After watching Kiss of the Dragon, Jet Li can't be compared to Jackie Chan. Two difference styles of movies and fighting styles. It's like comparing apples and oranges -- so it'll be interesting next year when "Revolution Studios" comes out with them in a film together.
cheers,
bruce

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
AJ,
Let me try to clear up my thinking here. Jackie Chan didn't so much make new movies as he did transpose his martial arts and stuntwork into every film he did. While Jet Li might not have worked in the Sci-fi arena as of yet, he is pushing his martial arts into the film. That, to me, makes The One not much different than Romeo Must Die or Black Mask, etc. The storylines change, the elements change, but they are all wrapped around his displays of martial arts. As I said, I find that boring after awhile. If Jet Li would show he has more than M.A.'s up his sleeve, I might find his films of more interest to watch.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
My problem with the American Jet Li movies is that he doesn't get to showcase his martial arts. Whether it's bad framing, digital technology, or just lack of good choreography, they all make Li's skills seem unimpressive. That's quite sad to me, and The One doesn't seem like the one do break this streak.

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I see what you're saying Bruce but Jet Li is a martial artist first, actor second in my opinion. He didn't even study acting growing up..he's in the film business because of his martial arts. He incorporates his martial arts in his movies because that's what makes him special, that's what his fans want to see, and that's what sells. I doubt anyone cares if he has anything else up his sleeve. There are already a dime-a-dozen actors out there, let them handle the acting stuff.
I mean asking why Jet Li always has to have martial arts in his films is like asking why Tom Hanks or Julia Roberts always have to play the good natured people in their films instead of playing someone bad for a change.
------------------

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any word on how violent / gruesome "The One" will be? I went to see Black Mask at the second-run $2 theater, and left halfway through. I couldn't take the incessant, senseless, gruesome violence. Since then, I've avoided Jet Li movies, fearful of a repeat.
Are any of his movies better than Black Mask?

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Check out Fist of Legend for starters and then you can go from there. As for The One, I can't wait for this movie to come out. Call me simple or whatever but I love the Matrixesque special effects, especially when they are used in new imaginative ways in live action flicks. Reminds me of anime.
------------------
"I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
"One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone
"I don't drink much. Just when I'm with other people, or by myself." - Some random geezer

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Check out 'Fist of Legend'"
Thanks.
The previews for The One look interesting; I just don't want a repeat of my first Jet Li experience
smile.gif

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
DaveF...The One is PG-13 and definitely check out Fist of Legend. You already know to stay away from Black Mask. Kiss of the Dragon is less violent than Black Mask but I'm not sure if you could handle that one either, it's definitely not for kids.
------------------
[Edited last by AJ Johnson on October 19, 2001 at 08:59 PM]

MitchSN

Auditioning
I don't know about The One. Twin movies NEVER work. How's he supposed to have a good looking fight with himself? Video editing? stunt doubles? I'm not sure how this is going to work, but I'll still give it a shot. I won't hold my breath. In my opinion, if you want to see the best martial arts action these actors have to give, see their stuff from Hong Kong. Nothing they put out here in America will ever come close to the stuff they put out there.
Here are some of Jet Li's best movies:
Once Upon a Time in China 1-2
Swordsman II
Fist of Legend

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Jet Li is cool but I'm skeptical about the film. The title makes it sound like an unauthorized sequel to The Matrix. Stealing an idea is ok if done well but stealing the title too isn't good. This is no different than calling some random action flick "The Force" ......

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Jet Li is fun to watch, and he doesn't need all of the gimmicks and visual effects.
Roger Ebert once wrote (in an Answer Man column?) that he fears the new era of CGI special effects will devalue the incredible physical skills of people like Jackie Chan and Jet Li. I wonder if there isn't something to that.
The visual effect of this movie look horrid. The scene where he hammers someone with a motorcycle and another where he drop kicks someone out of the frame are laughable. I guess one can only hope they weren't trying for any semblence of realism in those shots, because they looked about as convincing as a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
I'll definitely wait for the reviews.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...9, 8 7 to go!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the recommendations.
But the following made me laugh.
Kiss of the Dragon is less violent than Black Mask but I'm not sure if you could handle that one either, it's definitely not for kids
I'm 30; I saw Black Mask just a couple years ago. :) That movie just crossed my threshold for gratuitous (and gross) violence.
But The One looks like it could be fun; and the motorcyle/hammer scene piqued my interest.

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator
No offense to the guy, he's a great martial artist, but has anyone seen Jet Li in an interview? He can barely make his way through a conversation in english, so he is definitely a martial artist first and actor dead last in my book. If he were to star in an english movie that required only dialogue and no martial arts, there's no way I'd even consider seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks