What's new

What about a Blu of Ryans Daughter (1 Viewer)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Ken Koc said:
I must say RYAN'S DAUGHTER looks great! Sharp as a 70mm print.! The aspect ratio is correct at 2.20 and the sound is 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Thanks Ken, I'll take it on trust and go ahead and eat my hat as promised on the 70mm thread - i.e. I'll place an order for a Resen Blu!!!

Thanks for the reconnaissance mission!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
IMG_6282 (1).jpg
IMG_6281.jpg
I don't know how to do a screen shot, but I took 2 photos of images on my 60" screen with my IPhone 6 . The color variation on the right of the due to a is an overhead light reflecting on the monitor....sorry about that.

I don't think I attached it properly

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Ken Koc said:
I must say RYAN'S DAUGHTER looks great! Sharp as a 70mm print.! The aspect ratio is correct at 2.20 and the sound is 5.1 Dolby Digital.
I've been dying for this movie on BLU but honestly DVD quality audio? No thanks I have waited this long for a BLU I can wait longer for it done correctly. I won't settle for second best at this point.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Actually only the sound of the Overture was weak. The rest of the film the sound as excellent. The storm sequence shook the house. Very impressive.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I saw a 70mm print last summer, and of course the color was nowhere near this Blu-ray - so I'm looking forward to that. Is there any information on this transfer? I'm not worried about the lossy sound - I listen to that quite frequently anyway, and there are ways to improve it with your setup and settings.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I recently had the opportunity to take a look at Ryan's Daughter via Warner's streaming (Roku), and the imagery was superb.

Audio was 2-channel, which is a streaming limitation soon to be upgraded.

Warner has an immense streaming presence, with product going back to the silent era, and while I don't spend a great deal of time, as there are too few hours in a day, I find it very interesting for a very special reason.

We now have the ability to easily view HD product, much of which has not yet been cleaned up for Blu-ray, as an aid to determining how much work might need be performed, and how good the current scan appears.

In the case of Ryan's Daughter, the scan is from a 35mm IP, which was beautifully stuck, yielding a superb HD image. Dirt and damage is minor, which tells me that a proper Blu-ray release will probably appear sooner than later.

As noted above, steer clear of the Spanish garbage, as it's a rip.

For those who have not yet experience Warner's streaming, I recommend it highly. It's an easy way to have immediate access to Ryan, and hundreds of other titles.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
I recently had the opportunity to take a look at Ryan's Daughter via Warner's streaming (Roku), and the imagery was superb.

Warner has an immense streaming presence, with product going back to the silent era, and while I don't spend a great deal of time, as there are too few hours in a day, I find it very interesting for a very special reason.

We now have the ability to easily view HD product, much of which has not yet been cleaned up for Blu-ray, as an aid to determining how much work might need be performed, and how good the current scan appears.

In the case of Ryan's Daughter, the scan is from a 35mm IP, which was beautifully stuck, yielding a superb HD image. Dirt and damage is minor, which tells me that a proper Blu-ray release will probably appear sooner than later.

For those who have not yet experience Warner's streaming, I recommend it highly. It's an easy way to have immediate access to Ryan, and hundreds of other titles.

RAH
It's saved it a bunch of money as I love this streaming service.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:

RAH

Thanks, it can also be bought as a digital version for users of vudu, Amazon and others:

http://gowatchit.com/movies/ryan-s-daughter-5138

I noticed that Warner has another one of their 70mm productions available with Cheyenne Autumn, I wonder how that one looks.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Robert Harris said:

RAH

As this is the first time in the history of the world that I've been convinced to begin streaming...ANYTHING, I thought it deserved a third quoting.

April 25, 2015. Remember it! :cool:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Robert Harris said:

RAH
Thanks for confirming the image of RD is a "bootleg". It does look identical to the Warner Instant Streaming that is available.( I compared the images last night) The frustration with Warner Instant is that it is only available to watch for a limited time. I did actually purchase RD from VUDU HDX....I am glad I own it. So the Spanish Blu Ray is a bootleg ( I did not know it was when I purchased and as I said it does look great).....I hope Warners steps up and finally does the right thing and give RYAN'S DAUGHTER a proper release on Blu Ray.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Ken Koc said:
Thanks for confirming the image of RD is a "bootleg". It does look identical to the Warner Instant Streaming that is available.( I compared the images last night) The frustration with Warner Instant is that it is only available to watch for a limited time. I did actually purchase RD from VUDU HDX....I am glad I own it. So the Spanish Blu Ray is a bootleg ( I did not know it was when I purchased and as I said it does look great).....I hope Warners steps up and finally does the right thing and give RYAN'S DAUGHTER a proper release on Blu Ray.
So the Warner Instant Streaming is 2:20 ratio also?. If not 'than they are not identical. Mr Harris hints that the streaming release is from 35mm.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
trajan said:
So the Warner Instant Streaming is 2:20 ratio also?. If not 'than they are not identical. Mr Harris hints that the streaming release is from 35mm.

All video on the title is from 35mm, but element type (as always) is totally independent of aspect ratio.

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Spain does seem to be the home of Blu-ray bootlegs. It's interesting going through them on Amazon Spain, a lot of the covers are really good. Most definitely a case of buyer beware!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Billy Batson said:
Spain does seem to be the home of Blu-ray bootlegs. It's interesting going through them on Amazon Spain, a lot of the covers are really good. Most definitely a case of buyer beware!

Some of them do like really horrible, my biggest disappointment was John Paul Jones (1959). Originally shot in the Technirama process on the Spanish Blu-ray it now looks as if it was painted with water colors.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Apparently yes....but it will do just fine for me until Warners finally releases it on Blu....which I fear may be never.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Powell&Pressburger said:
I've been dying for this movie on BLU but honestly DVD quality audio? No thanks I have waited this long for a BLU I can wait longer for it done correctly. I won't settle for second best at this point.
What "first best" never happens?

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I want to buy the Amazon streaming video HD version of Ryan's Daughter, but can anyone confirm that the aspect ratio is correct? I rented Star Trek: The Motion Picture from them recently, and it was 1:85 instead of 2:35. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks