What's new

What about a Blu of Ryans Daughter (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
That's why at Bradford WSW they now run mostly Digital.
Yes they do but the problem is that as a rule almost every movie that doesn't have a stellar Blu-ray will be less than worthy for showing on a big screen at a festival as it will not be available as a proper quality DCP. And those that are available may on the other hand not be as interesting anymore as we already have them on Blu-ray.At least this is how I feel about it - others may find it to be fun to watch movies in mediocre to bad Blu-ray quality on the cinema screen but I think it is not the same as watching even a faded 70mm print.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
OliverK said:
Yes they do but the problem is that as a rule almost every movie that doesn't have a stellar Blu-ray will be less than worthy for showing on a big screen at a festival as it will not be available as a proper quality DCP. And those that are available may on the other hand not be as interesting anymore as we already have them on Blu-ray.At least this is how I feel about it - others may find it to be fun to watch movies in mediocre to bad Blu-ray quality on the cinema screen but I think it is not the same as watching even a faded 70mm print.
I agree! Even the lesser quality 70mm prints have more LIFE!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I agree I would love to see more original 70mm prints with the wonder of 6 Track Magnetic Stereo but they feel it looksbetter to run a Digital with 5.1 PCM sound and full colour.I know some cinemas have run pink 70mm prints and given free seats in the USA but not here in the UK.The BFI has 5 x 70mm prints of Far from the Madding Crowd but last time ran a 35mm mono print.I did see Shellarama a few years ago in NFT 3 it was pink but they ran it because of the 6 track sound.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DP 70 said:
I agree I would love to see more original 70mm prints with the wonder of 6 Track Magnetic Stereo but they feel it looksbetter to run a Digital with 5.1 PCM sound and full colour.I know some cinemas have run pink 70mm prints and given free seats in the USA but not here in the UK.The BFI has 5 x 70mm prints of Far from the Madding Crowd but last time ran a 35mm mono print.I did see Shellarama a few years ago in NFT 3 it was pink but they ran it because of the 6 track sound.
Don't get me wrong, a new digitally restored 4K DCP of Ryan's Daughter, for instance, would surely look and sound fantastic. It's a shame they've gotten away from the 5 stage sound channels though, I'm sorry to see that trend.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Don't get me wrong, a new digitally restored 4K DCP of Ryan's Daughter, for instance, would surely look and sound fantastic. It's a shame they've gotten away from the 5 stage sound channels though, I'm sorry to see that trend.
Yes I agree about the loss of 2 stage channels but as most cinemas have small screens now they justbring the side masking for 2.20.1 70mm, so the Cinemascope size is Bigger.Also some cinemas that run 70mm now only have 3 stage channels like the Rex Berkhamsted but theydo have a lovely pair of projectors, guess which ones...

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Paul Rossen said:
Having seen FOTRE during it's original roadshow run the only 'thing' that I recall being outstanding were the set designs. The Roman forum set was truly an eye fill. The only problem I had with it was when the camera panned back you can clearly see that we are in the plains of somewhere(in Spain of course). Some matte work or other 'tricks' of the trade should have corrected this...

Mr. Boyd who others have said was so good in Ben-Hur(I agree) was indeed wooden. But all of the stars are either wooden or simply don't know what they are doing. An exception was Christopher Plummer who was a blast. He certainly loved the camera.

Of course any mention of FOTRE cannot be complete without stating that Dimitri Tiomkin's score was loud enough to give anyone a headache. In fact I still have mine.

The Bronston film that I would want to be given a truly great presentation is El Cid. Perhaps one day...
EL CID is on bluray and has heaps of extras and has been beautifully restored.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
cinerama10 said:
Having seen FOTRE during it's original roadshow run the only 'thing' that I recall being outstanding were the set designs. The Roman forum set was truly an eye fill. The only problem I had with it was when the camera panned back you can clearly see that we are in the plains of somewhere(in Spain of course). Some matte work or other 'tricks' of the trade should have corrected this...

Mr. Boyd who others have said was so good in Ben-Hur(I agree) was indeed wooden. But all of the stars are either wooden or simply don't know what they are doing. An exception was Christopher Plummer who was a blast. He certainly loved the camera.

Of course any mention of FOTRE cannot be complete without stating that Dimitri Tiomkin's score was loud enough to give anyone a headache. In fact I still have mine.

The Bronston film that I would want to be given a truly great presentation is El Cid. Perhaps one day...
In FOTRE ,All the sets and costumes were superb and so was the cinematography. Too bad the script wasn't.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
cinerama10 said:
Have you ever seen Sophie Loren in TWO WOMEN? Perhaps one of the all time greatest female performances in this Italian Academy award winning masterpiece. Heston was only capable of giving very wooden performances.
It was "tedious" at best. Nice boobs tho...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
cinerama10 said:
It should be noted that El Cid has not been restored nor is it certain that it even needs to be beyond the standard procedures necessary for every film of that era.And in case somebody wants to buy the Blu-ray it is by most accounts at best mediocre and a disappointment. Personally I find it to be below my threshold for what is watchable and what isn't and I would encourage everybody not to buy any current Blu-ray incarnation of El Cid as there is a good chance that in the not too distant future we will see a proper release that is up to the quality of the much better releases of Circus World and 55 Days at Peking.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
OliverK said:
It should be noted that El Cid has not been restored nor is it certain that it even needs to be beyond the standard procedures necessary for every film of that era.And in case somebody wants to buy the Blu-ray it is by most accounts at best mediocre and a disappointment. Personally I find it to be below my threshold for what is watchable and what isn't and I would encourage everybody not to buy any current Blu-ray incarnation of El Cid as there is a good chance that in the not too distant future we will see a proper release that is up to the quality of the much better releases of Circus World and 55 Days at Peking.
Sounds like a bit of inside info there. I wish we had some inside info on RYANS DAUGHTER---DOCTOR DOLITTLE ---STAR!

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
OliverK said:
Strong 'hint' of a possible new EL CID blu-ray or am I not reading this correctly?

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
OliverK said:
I'd love to see this come to fruition, as well as a proper BRD release of FotRE in its original Ultra Panavision aspect ratio.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
trajan said:
Just thought I would bring this thread back into the open.
Yes with 4k Ultra HD about to happen, Ryan's release as one of the first in this format would be tremendous and get the format off to a great start.

Hope someone at Warner's is thinking along these lines.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
john a hunter said:
Yes with 4k Ultra HD about to happen, Ryan's release as one of the first in this format would be tremendous and get the format off to a great start.

Hope someone at Warner's is thinking along these lines.

I heavily doubt they'd release it as one of the first for the format. The fact that they've not given us a BRD yet tells me Warner probably doesn't think it's cost effective. It'll be a Warner Archive title at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks