1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What 3 TV Shows do you want most on Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by PianoPlayer, Nov 28, 2009.

1. ATimson

ATimson Well-Known Member

HD-good? No. But they ought to look less bad.

2. CraigF

CraigF Well-Known Member

Craig
    I am listening to a show right now where they're talking about how "less bad" is the new "good".

3. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    1. Buffy (Despite the above "went downhill" I believe Season 5 of Buffy is by far and away the best, and one of the best ever to air)
    2. Twin Peaks
    3. Carnivale

I can think of NO show I've ever seen that was as beautifully filmed as Carnivale, and it was filmed in High Def ready format.

4. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Well-Known Member

Crime Story is a show thats in need of redue and include Original music,dvds were cheap ,but pretty lame

5. JediFonger

JediFonger Well-Known Member

you guys are forgetting that shows tapes in SD resolution means that you can have the COMPLETE series on a SINGLE BD!

6. CraigF

CraigF Well-Known Member

Craig
    ^ Several people mentioned that... But be careful what you wish for. Put lots of SD shows on a disc, sure, but do NOT use Java please. With 3-4 hours of shows on a disc (that's in HD...double+ for SD??) you likely won't watch a whole disc at once, and IMO/E it's really nice to just be able to stop and automatically resume where you left off. Without having to deal with some of the bookmarking nonsense some TV-on-BD Java forces.

I have a feeling not a lot of people would re-buy stuff they already have on DVD, again in SD on a BD, though some would re-buy a few favorites. From the perspective they've already allocated the shelf storage space, and some like the "unique" packaging. I get the impression several DVDs are still cheaper to manufacture than one BD, but yeah there'd be some manual packaging and shipping savings for manufacturers with less discs/weight. Still lots of DVD production capability, probably mostly paid for, money in the bank compared to BD production...

7. Will*B

Will*B Well-Known Member

Will*B
    1. Remaining seasons of The Sopranos

2. Star Trek: TNG (with new HD effect shots, a la TOS)

3. Arrested Development

In terms of likelihood of release, The Sopranos is a definite, I suppose that Arrested Development is a possibility, especially when/if the feature is released, but Star Trek: TNG is almost certainly NOT going to happen. I can't imagine Paramount converting all 7 seasons to HD, and even if they did, I can't think how much the sets would cost.... Oh well, it's a nice thought...!

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    They can look less bad if the source material is restored, as Fawlty Towers has been for the new DVD set. Shows like All in the Family, Three's Company, and The Golden Girls will never look like demo material, but if they go back to the earliest generation of tapes, remove age and tape-defect-related blemishes, and make sure scene-to-scene color correction is consistent, they can make them look as good as possible within the confines of the 480i resolution (or 540i for PAL shows). There are methods of restoring videotape that are widely accepted by the industry, and perhaps in future there will be a way to deal with things like chroma noise and dot crawl that are inherent to analog tape. Of course, the fact that PS3s do not yet upconvert SD material on Blu-Ray makes the situation worse. There's no reason that a future firmware upgrade wouldn't take care of that.

But BD is no cure for everything else that ails TV show sets: the music licensing travesty, the aspect ratio question, lack of attention paid to running times (I won't buy edited or tilt-and-scanned sets just because they're in HD), master quality (I have no reason not to believe some cheap and unscrupulous studio will try to cut corners and upconvert existing masters that were of questionable quality to begin with), etc.

9. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Well-Known Member

Just one: Twin Peaks.

10. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Well-Known Member

"Pee-Wee's Playhouse".

To me, this show is the perfect example of a filmed/finished on videotape show that is in dire need of a makeover on blu-ray. Plus, the show's picture quality seemed to get worse as the series went along. Ever notice how the picture quality started off okay in the New York City episodes (season 1), but got worse in the Los Angeles ones (ever season after season 1)?

Some of the special effects on the 2004 DVD release even looked poorly washed out.

Just please no fake widescreen. Like Matthew said, any show that was shot in 1.33:1 should be in 1.33:1.

11. Will_B

Will_B Well-Known Member

Carnivale

Journeyman

12. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Well-Known Member

BABYLON 5 (with all of the special effects re-rendered in full high definition)
    STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (with all of the special effects re-rendered in full high definition)
    STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE (with all of the special effects re-rendered in full high definition)

13. ATimson

Babylon 5 could have the effects rerendered in HD, if the source files were ever found; reportedly WB junked them. But for TNG and DS9, and probably B5, they can't just go back to the computers and rerender them; they'd need to be recreated from scratch.

14. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Well-Known Member

Simon Massey

Im sort of hoping that the success of the Original Series updates on Star Trek may encourage Paramount to look at doing something similar to other ST series for high definition. Its probably going to cost more given they will have to re-edit whole episodes as I think they were edited on video at standard def, but perhaps a test case of a select few episodes and a release to see if there is interest might be a way forward. Release something like the 2 part Best of Both Worlds or something like that and see what happens.

If its a success and they do continue forward it may encourage Warner to make a similar move with Babylon 5. Or maybe Warner could use some of the B5 movies as a test run, in the same way that they did when releasing B5 on DVD.

15. ATimson

Seeing as how customers have become accustomed to full-season sets, I don't think a reversion to the scattershot approach would go over too well in the marketplace. (Though MGM was certainly willing to try it with Stargate: Atlantis's premiere and finale... Anybody know how well that did or didn't sell?)

16. ToddJ

ToddJ Well-Known Member

1.) Alias
    2.) Twin Peaks
    3.) Big Bang Theory (although there are probably other shows that I want more than this one, but just can't think of them at the moment.)

17. Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot Well-Known Member

The X-FilesDeadwoodHill Street Blues Brad

18. Charles S

Charles S Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents here....the only TV series that I can imagine myself double dipping for a Bluray version would be,

Farscape

I NEVER double dip DVDs and do not plan on double dipping Blurays except on very rare ocassions. (Bladerunner 5 disc, Stargate 1994 film) But considering Farscape is my favorite TV series of all time, I would shell out the money for a Bluray release given enough advance notice to save up the money for it and bite the bullet and double dip for that show. It would be well worth it to me.

I'm just now finishing up my SG1, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Seinfeld Collections so I won't be double dipping on them. But if I didn't already own SG1, I'd probably go for the Blurays if they existed.

[​IMG]

19. Will_B

Will_B Well-Known Member

I'd get the failed Bionic Woman remake on BluRay if it included the original version of the pilot (with the deaf sister).

Just because of the co-starring role of Katie Sackhoff. And the expectation it would only need a couple discs, since it only lasted, what, 8 or 9 episodes?

20. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

I remember reading when The Flash TV series was released on DVD, and many were disappointed in the visual quality, the inhibiting factor was something that affected all most all TV shows (or at least non obvious shot on tape productions) from that general time period (which I guess would be mid/late 80's to mid 90's (?).
    IIRC, this was due to these shows have all the post work done (quickly and cheaply) on tape vs film.
    I guess it is the same thing that will prevent something like Star Trek The Next Generation from getting a Bd release anytime soon. If a given show wants to go back and assemble everything from scratch (if the original elements still even exist) I suppose a high definition release could be made, but it doesn't look good for most of this material. ST:TNG with it's continuing tie-in exploitation possibilities and fan base would seem like the most promising candidate for a full blown overhaul, and yet the costs associated would still be astronomical.
    I'm sure there are others here who have a better grasp on all the details here and will hopefully chime in with a more definitive answer.

for my wishlist
    1) Batman- shot on film with an eye towards making the most of all those new (at the time) color TV sets.
    It's a dirty rotten shame the rights can't seem to be worked out for this. It could be an absolutely spectacular release.
    2) Kolchak: The Night Stalker- As great as it is that I finally have the show on my shelf in a better than VHS tape media, the masters used were ragged and way past their expiration date. I was kind of hoping that the fire that destroyed so many of the video masters Universal had been reusing for years would get them to go back now and remaster many of these things. I would love to see a Kolchak set done from the original film. Probably has even less of a chance happening as Batman, but that's my wish.
    3) The Avengers- a competent Bd set would be a dramatic improvement over the old A&E dvds.

Wild Card pick
    4) Dark Shadows (60's)- The reason here would not be for any aural/visual improvements. There wouldn't be any. However for a daily, daytime serial that was released in 25+ four disc collections, the space savings from converting to Bds with a more efficient codec, would be tremendous. The entire series (from the beginning) could be released in well under 10 sets (of 5 discs each).
    I've only bought a few of the DVD collections and, as much as I've enjoyed revisiting them, won't buy anymore. They just take up too much space and cost too much. If they ever show up on reasonably priced Bd sets though...