1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What 1080p TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Fernalfer, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Fernalfer

Fernalfer Active Member

Ok i am getting into the HD-DVD era and as of now have a Toshiba 50inch DLP 720p/1080i TV. Model: 50HM66.

I want to buy a native resolution 1080p TV. Is there any particular brand that is better then other PQ wise. I hear some upscale video internally better then others. I want between a 50inch and 56inch.

Any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

2. SethH

SethH Well-Known Member

What technology do you want? Do you want to stick with DLP, or go to LCoS, LCD or LCD rear projection?

3. Ricardo E Garcia

Ricardo E Garcia Active Member

In my small experience I can only tell you about what I've seen in my home. I purchased both the Vizio 47" LCD 1080p HDTV, and the Vizio 50" 720p plasma. I couldn't compare "apples to apples" but I did notice a sharper picture with the 1080p LCD. Some say you will not notice a difference between a 1366x768 native screen and a 1920x1080 native screen because there's no 1080p content yet (other than DVDs), but in my experience with OTA I did.

Try to see if a store has a good return policy so you can take a couple home and try them out. (I know it's a pain because of size, but this is a big purchase!)

Good luck with your search.

4. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Well-Known Member

I find that hard to believe. The plasma has better contrast which is more important than the resolution.

Of course, 720 is fewer lines than 1080, so maybe you did notice a slight difference.