What's new

Western movie - help... need DVD recommendation (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I too say Searchers, but you may want to wait since it's rumoured to be out in a 2 disc SE this year.

Bite the Bullet is a good western IMHO ;) Sort've a end of the west western though. James Coburn and Gene Hackman, how can you go wrong? However, BEWARE it may be hard to find the widescreen version since the ones in the $5.50 Walmart dump bin are FOOLSCREEN only (the original release had both widescreen and foolscreen).

Cheers.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

:D

as a knee-jerk reaction i would probably say The Searchers too. I really do love that film and have been anticipating a better edition for several years now. But leafing thru the other responses and realizing how many wonderful films have been made in this genre, you would really be selling your collection short to own just one (albeit excellant) western.

the Richard Brooks films in particular (Bite The Bullet, The Professionals) are some of my favorite movies of all time.
I agree with Richard--W, i can't believe there is anyone out there who wouldn't be entertained by The Professionals.

echoing Chads sentiments, hopefully you will pick one that will stimulate you enough to try a few more.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Don't watch God's Gun, featuring Richard Boone with a Will Geer-on-speed dubbed-in voice, or you may never watch a western again.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
eric depending on if you want story or action, first have to agree Searchers, changes your whole view of John Wayne,
if you are just looking for a primer, i can suggest Costner's Open Range, hell of a good ride, great performances from him, benning and duval. just wish Hollywood would see that these still have legs. and if ya just want a good laugh, enjoy Blazing Saddles, best rip on the Genre ever.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I agree with the selection of THE SEARCHERS and THE WILD BUNCH as the best westerns. HIGH NOON is generally considered the "Western for people who don't like Westerns". I personally don't care for it, but to each his own. Two that haven't been mentioned, but I think are worth considering are LONESOME DOVE and if you're in the mood for an outrageous western comedy, THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BEAN.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
So many undisputed classics and other outstanding films have been mentioned above that Eric H. probably has plenty to choose from. If you troll the listings of TCM, Fox Movie Channel, Encore Westerns or the Cinemax channels, you can also turn up such gems as Colorado Territory, Day of the Outlaw, Yellow Sky (just announced on DVD in another thread), Fred MacMurray in Good Day for Hanging (DVD) or Face of a Fugitive, numerous other Boetticher-Scott films--the possibilities abound.

I know Eric wants "the one DVD," but I couldn't help mentioning a few non-DVD titles! Someone else mentioned another favorite non-DVD title of mine in Rio Conchos (are you reading this, 20th Century Fox?).

Jerry O

Grip
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Best film ever made.

While there are some fantastic American westerns (Peckinpah, Eastwood) the Italians did it best.

DanRevill

Agent
My favourites are:

Unforgiven
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Searchers

Also worth a looks is Open Range

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I've only got into Westerns myself over the last couple of years. I have started watching them because of my interest in early Hollywood widescreen cinema. But by watching more of the films I can see the conventions of the genre, so I have a better feel for particular films that are extending or challenging those conventions.

I'll try to mention some that perhaps others won't suggest.

I have really enjoy those directed by Anthony Mann. Man of the West (1958) is an amazing film, let alone Western! Mann made so many good ones, like The Tin Star (1957), The Man From Laramie (1955) and of course Winchester '73 (1950).

Some others I enjoyed greatly are Jubal (1956) , The Indian Fighter (1955) and Warlock (1959)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Top Five? This is hard!

1. Rio Bravo (I can watch this again and again)
2. Stagecoach
3. Tombstone
4. Shane
5. Any Anthony Mann/James Stewart Western (They are all good)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

How insulting!

The western is a distinctly American invention. It comes out of our history and our culture. No other country could have created the western. For almost seventy years, American cinema was defined by its westerns in the eyes of other countries, and today, with the advent of DVD, the American western is being rediscovered and appreciated by a new audience.

There is a huge, vast difference between the western and the Italian imitation of the western.

I beg to differ with the second half of your statement.
There are only two good Italian westerns: Death Rides A Horse and Once Upon A Time In the West. The latter was filmed partly in the USA -- in John Ford's Monument Valley -- and emulates the best themes and subtexts of American westerns. I suppose The Good The Bad and The Ugly has its moments -- the only reason to watch it is for Eli Wallach, a one-man riot.

The rest are a plodding mediocrity at best. I particularly hate the apocalyptic phase of the Italian western. Sour, negative, tedious, and dumb.

If you've seen one Italian western, you've seen them all.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Would you say it is the most American of film genres? What about the musical? Or the gangster film? Are they equals, or is the western, in your opinion, the Hollywood genre?

Sorry, not wanting to drag the discussion off topic. But I agree with the sentiment that the Western is something classically American. Whenever I watch Spaghetti westerns (which isn't often) I get the feeling all the characters know that they are inside of a movie :)

Just my opinion!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The western may be an American invention, but to say that that means others can't do it well is just ridiculous. Kurosawa did it pretty damn good with Seven Samurai, and Leone did it pretty damn good with his first 3 films (which may not be better than the best American westerns, but are every bit as good).

Saying an Italian can't do a good western cause it's an American invention is like saying Eric Clapton can't play the blues cause he's not black, or that an American can't be a good Carmen cause she's not French.

Alex Antin

Grip
As a Western Lover i would recommend:

The Professionals
Open Range
Hour of the Gun
Crossfire Trail
Jeremiah Johnson

And for the sheer parody of them: Rustlers Rhapsody or Blazing Saddles

The first 5 define the Western as a hollywood product (as do others mentioned) and the last two are a true "hoot"...will make you laugh and laugh

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Several people suggested "The Searchers". I noticed that this was an early WB DVD release (1997) but someone else mentioned elsewhere that this was cleaned up and reissued in 2004 yet I don't seem to find it. What should I be looking for to find the 2004 reissue?

Eric

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I remember as a kid (even then I was looking for continuity problems) watching a b/w John Wayne western that was made in the mid 1950s or early 1960s. What I saw was a 1957 Ford up on a hill in the distance while he rides on the plain, maybe during a chase! Does anyone know what movie this is?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Searchers is supposed to be released this year in a 2-disc special edition, not 2004.

- Steve

Jerry O

Grip

What does the Western being an American invention have anything to do with my opinion that the Italians did it the best? And your last comment sums up perfectly how I feel about many of the classical westerns.

Americans might have invented the Western but the Italians perfected it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks