1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

West Wing

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JohnSJ, Oct 9, 2002.

1. JohnSJ

JohnSJ Member

hello,

I've just recently started watching this show, and have been stunned with the quality of acting and the script/plot line. Wondering why this show doesn't seem to get much attention here? I saw the last two episodes of last season and every show this season and I'm hooked, comments?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

My wife and I rarely miss an episode (actually she never misses one). I also think it very well done. My only hesitation is that the main characters are all too good to be truly believable. Even their character flaws are understandable and forgivable (Leo’s alcoholism, for example) or due to the stress of the job.

Even so, it’s a very entertaining hour.

3. Chad R

Chad R Well-Known Member

Chad Rouch
    We talk about it usually every week, just not with the enthusiasm that a certain genre show has attained around here.

4. JohnSJ

JohnSJ Member

It's amazing how good the cast actually is, hard to say to a fault though...I'll look for the thread after tonights ep. I love reading the soprano's threads because of the analysis of what's happening in each ep. I like that, hoping to see the same kind of thing even if it isn't with quite the same level of interest.

5. Rob T

Rob T Well-Known Member

I haven't missed an episode yet.
    I'm going to have to start taping it or watching it an hour later on the satelite due to it conflicting with Birds of Prey

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Well-Known Member

I already tape it so I can watch The Amazing Race. Hopefully I'll be able to cacth BOP in the summer.

It will be interesting to see if a West Wing thread can stay open and not be closed because of political debate.

7. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Well-Known Member

8. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Well-Known Member

According to Paul Harvey (on the radio this morning) viewership is down 29%. I still enjoy the show but can understand why this may be happening. Jason may have been kidding in the above post but I believe this may be a reason for the decline. They need to increase stories about the characters and decrease those that involve politics.
    [​IMG]

9. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Well-Known Member

Anybody catch the shot thrown at Dubya about his pushing for War in Iraq?

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Well-Known Member

Anybody know why the show starts at 8:59PM (some weeks), instead of 9:00 exactly? I should imagine this would infuriate you time-shifters (who program VCRs), or the people with TiVo. Will TiVo compensate for this 1-minute adjustment?

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I also watch it regularly and there's reason to believe this season will be even better than last, despite Rob Lowe's departure. (A pity that is, since Sam is my favorite character.)
    I'm sorry to hear that viewership is decreasing, since this is one of the best shows on TV right now.
    It may be the "Left" Wing (and it doesn't try to hide that) but as a conservative I've found right-wing opinions expressed more eloquently on this show than by real-life Republicans.
    And though it may be politically liberal, at least it's generally smart about it and allows me to think about it before disagreeing [​IMG]

12. CharlesD

CharlesD Well-Known Member

13. David Hicks

David Hicks Well-Known Member

Love the show and never miss an episode. Is has a permanent Season Pass on my Tivo (and, yes, Tivo will accomodate for early starts/late endings).

Regarding the political viewpoints, a great deal of it I find utterly repugnant. But then again, I disagree with the chopping off of people's heads, but still enjoyed Highlander. Don't condone gratuitous murder, but still enjoy CSI. Not the biggest fan of organized crime, but wouldn't miss The Soprano's. You get the point...

However realistic it may appear, it is, after all, still fiction.

14. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Well-Known Member

15. Lew Crippen

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Well-Known Member

17. Lew Crippen

18. JohnSJ

JohnSJ Member

Wow, I never looked at the lack of talk about the TWW as a political issue. Makes sense. i can understand that some people might choose not to watch due to their political beliefs, but that's just unfortunate. Being a conservative myself, I disagree with may of the political agendas discussed. However, I enjoy the show for what it is. I would not want them to move too far from the political aspect of the show, it is after all about the White house and its staff.

19. Lew Crippen

20. JohnSJ

JohnSJ Member

Thanks Lew,
    Quite frankly discussing the show without postulating on political beliefs should be easy...when you think about it, we already avoid this in our everyday lives. Well, most of us do [​IMG]