What's new

West Wing - Are they really doing this? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Are they really getting rid of Leo? It was a shock when we watched the last episode of WW. Is Jimmy Smits his replacment?

It is hard for me to imagine this show without him.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Jimmy Smits is a possible Presidential canidate. Leo will be down for a while and CJ will end up stepping into his spot.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
What I've read:

Alan Alda will portray
a Republican candidate (and the eventual nominee) in the upcoming Presidential election to pick Bartlet's successor.

Jimmy Smits will portray
a former mayor of Houston (woo hoo!) who becomes a Democratic Presidential contender (and the eventual nominee, I believe).

As for Leo:
He is not dead. After his recovery he returns to the Bartlet administration as a senior advisor.

C.J.:
is promoted to Chief of Staff.

Toby:
resigns. OK, we've seen this on NBC's promos. Not known is the reason for the resignation, although it's likely a reaction to C.J.'s being promoted to CoS over him. Not sure if the actor is leaving the show or not.

Josh:
, like Toby, is upset at being passed over for C.J. and leaves the staff to run the Presidential campaign for Smits' character.

Donna:
leaves the staff as well, and goes to work for Will on Veep Bingo Bob's campaign. Since Donna no longer works for Josh, they finally begin a relationship.

Bartlet:
serves out his term. It's possible that this is Martin Sheen's final year. If he re-ups, they'll stretch the campaign out through the first part of next season. If he decides to leave, they'll speed things up and he'll ride off into the sunset at the end of this year.

Additional spoiler:
Former V.P. Hoynes returns, but what role he plays is unknown.

My guess as to the eventual direction of the show:
Well, Presidents are limited to two terms, and since the show began in the middle of Bartlet's first term you had to know this cast would only go 6 years or so. This is the transition year. I think TWW will be reborn next year (perhaps as late as mid-season) with a Republican President (Alda) and a completely new cast.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have to admit, it has been hard watching Bartlet & Leo "break up" over the past two or three episodes. That scene this week where Leo tells the President he can't get on board with the talks and Bartlet calmly says "I'll need your successor in place before you leave." was chilling. The look on Leo's face... how crushed he was. Brilliant acting by John Spencer.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Frankly, I always thought this show would end when Bartlett finished his two terms, which in TV time could be stretched out. If they continue on after Bartlett, it will just another tv series trying to ring every dollar out of a dead horse.

Like others, I'm disappointed with the way Leo has been treated. It is just not like the President Bartlett we've come to know to do this. Disagree with him, yes, but not abandon him.

I was dissapointed when VP Hoynes was written out. I might have been able to accept him in a continuation of West Wing as the President. Frankly, I always thought this show would end when Bartlett finished his two terms, which in TV time could be stretched out. If they continue on after Bartlett, it will just another tv series trying to ring every dollar out of a dead horse.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I've never seen so many spoilers! (or been so weak-willed!)

I've really enjoyed the first two eps of TWW s6. Glad that Mary McCormack has joined the regular cast (loved her ever since Murder One). John Spencer's acting has been superb. He's been more Evil Leo than Good Leo of late, though, so I'm not sure I'll miss the character if things do end badly for him.

I agree. They had to get rid of him for that cliffhanger though, which was a real shame.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming we find out why C.J. is promoted to Chief of Staff over Toby and Josh. I know about Josh leaving to run a campaign. I wonder if something comes up with Andy and the twins and that is what tips Toby's hand.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I found the article I had read a couple of weeks ago, and have updated my spoiler post above with some corrections.

C'mon, you know you want to read 'em!! ;)

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Not gonna read-em! Missed last half of last season and half the fun of playing catch-up for me is doing it all real time. I was strong willed for a few other shows gonna see how long I can be strong for this one!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Interesting costuming choice on Leo as he wandered out into the woods to have his attack. The coat he was wearing was a couple sizes too big making him look even more frail.

Rob

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I've only see a few WW eps, so this is coming from a casual fan of the show (though I love Sorkin's work).

And I am speculating here - no inside info and no spoilers.

It seems to be that, if the show is going to recognize the two-term limit, it's really a built-in way to revitalize the show. Whole new administration, possibly from the other party, whole new set of problems, challenges, triumphs and tragedies.

I'd rather see a great show (the last couple of seasons notwithstanding, perhaps) go out trying something risky than stretching out a cast that's done a great job.

As noted in other TV-related threads, getting 4-6 overall quality seasons from a premise is a remarkable accomplishment. IMNSHO, WW ought to fold with the end of Bartlett's two terms or embrace change and go for the gusto of having a new administration.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
The West Wing is the equivalent of having this great little puppy for four years. You're just totally in love with this dog. Then when he turns five, his soul gets sucked out of his body and he just walks around. Another person made the comparison that TWW was our best friend and is now an alzheimer's patient that we keep going to visit at the hospital over and over again with the slightest of hope that they'll recover to their normal selves. Either way you metaphorize it, my show is dead. This is crap.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I hope it either finishes up this at the end of this season or has a shortened seveth season, like 13 episodes or so, to show the last weeks of the Bartlet administration.

I wonder who will be the new press secretary and will they ever show who got the job of deputy director of communications when Will went to work for the VP?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It was reported that Kristen Chenoweth will be the next press secretary. Since I don't know who that is it's not much of a spoiler.

Kevin, do you have any pictures of this soulless puppy?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If things go as Craig suggests in his spoiler eventual direction of the show, I will no longer watch The West Wing.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

If I'm remembering the name correctly, she's a broadway star and has a wonderful voice. If you saw the recent TV remake of "The Music Man" with Mathew Broderick, she played Marion and was the best thing in the show.

Hmmm, I don't think they plan on using her singing voice on TWW, though CJ did sing "The Jackyl" in one episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks