What's new

Well, I returned my XBOX to Best Buy today and I'm going w/ PS2 instead... (1 Viewer)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
It's cool. Everything is everything now. ;) I'm an admitted graphics whore but I have to agree with you that gameplay matters just as much if not more. Take my post for Wreckless as an example. Lovely graphics but the gameplay wasn't appealing to me so I returned it for SSX Tricky, which is just a PS2 port with inferior graphics than the game I returned it for. But in my opinion the gameplay in that game was much more enjoyable to me despite having lesser graphics than Wreckless.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Hey Duane, I'm a graphics whore too! :) Of course, gameplay is the prime motivator, but graphics do make a difference.
-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When you guys say graphics, what do you mean? The best that technology has to offer in terms of 3-D or the overall quality of the graphics? 2-D games can have amazing graphics, as can 3-D games.

If by graphics you mean whatever is best, then you are looking more at the technology than the artistry. ICO has amazing artistry because the graphics look so good, not because they are the best available (in terms of polys, fps, or anything like that). Granted, the technology does help the game's artistry, but does not rely on it solely for the graphical quality.

Lunar has amazing graphics, and its only 2-D. The amount of artistry and the quality of the graphics makes them good, not the technological power behind them.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i have ps2 and gcube. going for xbox next christmas. about 10 flagship games from both consoles combined. i only buy the best of the best games.

but what is the best game i have ever played in my life?

1- zelda - a link to the past on snes.

2- mario 64

3- starcraft

4- deus ex

5- half life

6- nolf

etc etc

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
When I talk about graphics I mean overall style, art direction, and atmosphere. I want to be drawn into a game and feel like I'm experiencing something beautiful. And that IMO can only be done with good graphics, although gameplay is still a necessity. Despite owning nearly all the next generation systems one of the games that stuns me the most and has some of the best graphics in my eyes is the first Donkey Kong Country game for the SNES.

I just love that game, despite playing more advanced and in some cases more beautiful games on these newer systems. The water, snow, and ice effects in that game still amaze me despite seeing more advanced and better looking effects in games like MGS2. Up to this day playing the second level and having the setting go from sunny to a dark and cloudy rainstorm complete with lightning and thunder brings a smile to my face.

Just seeing those graphics being produced on the old SNES just amazes the hell out of me. If Nintendo wants me to buy a Gamecube RIGHT NOW, all they have to do is announce a DKC game with similar gameplay and graphics as the first one but updated to take advantage of the GC's new technology. I still love 2d games, that's why I love my DC. The best system for anyone who loves 2d fighters. I own or have owned nearly every Capcom fighter released on that system.

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to see some graphic clarification taking place. Great graphics are about much more than polygon pushing power. It's really an art form unto itself. Regardless of the systems overall power, the best looking games inevitably come from developers with artistic vision and a unique ability to leverage the particular consoles strenghs.

As members of the HTF, we are by definition "graphics whores". However, more polys doesn't necessarly equal better graphics.

Kip

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks