What's new

Well, I returned my XBOX to Best Buy today and I'm going w/ PS2 instead... (1 Viewer)

Hugh M

Second Unit
I don't want to piss anyone off here, but maybe you guys should start another thread somewhere on the issue you are currently discussing. These things can go way off-topic, real quick...
:) :) :)
not even my .02 cents, sorry.
can someone start posting again, I don't want the "Thread Killer" voodoo to come upon me...

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Well, after toying around w/ the PS2 for the last 30 days, I am returning it to Best Buy tonight. I thought I would enjoy it, but I didn't. To me, PS2 no longer represents a "next generation" system. I was completely underwhelmed w/ the graphics (which aren't a substantial improvement over Sega's Dreamcast). Also, Sony really needs to do a price drop really quick. To me, the PS2 is no way worth $300...I'd keep it for no more than $200 brand new, but not $300. When I had the XBOX, it had a cutting edge feel to it, and I just liked it more. XBOX just has more to offer for $300. Oh well, that's what 30 day return policies are for.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Kevin-

What games did you play? They might not have the best graphics ever, but a lot of them are damn fun and well worth the purchase.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So you can actually return it if you didn't like it? I thought you could only return games & systems if they are defective or unopened...

-Dave

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I also agree there wasn't a substantial improvement generally from Dreamcast to PS2, with the possible exception of the PS2's 'flagship' titles.

Aside from the Jaggies (which, let's face it, get kind of irritating), I love my PS2. If I could afford a decent high definition television I might consider XBox. From everything I hear on the gaming forum, my 'sub-par' 32FV27 series WEGA doesn't hold a candle to the Xbox's potential for displaying certain graphics modes. I just find it kind of sad that to take advantage of a console's full graphic potential, I need to actually upgrade an already staggeringly expensive (for me) investment.

No thanks.

Joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've been pretty happy with my PS2 since I got it. Some games don't have the best graphics available, but its still pretty good and the games are great.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Dave F, the return policy applies to unopened software only. Most places will allow you to return opened hardware within 30 days. I just got back from Best Buy and I missed the return by 1 day (I purchased the PS2 on 1-7-02), so if anyone wants to buy a PS2 that is only a month old, and has only been used for only 3 hours, i'll sell it for $250 including shipping.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
So Kevin did you buy another XBox? I'm not sure from your posts what gaming systems you have now.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Aside from the Jaggies (which, let's face it, get kind of irritating), I love my PS2.
I think SONY's PS2 gets unwarrantly stamped as the "jaggies" nightmare system.

I've seen the same level of jaggies on some XBOX games as well.

PROJECT GOTHAM RACING comes immediatly to mind. HALO isn't free of jaggies either.

(owner of both the XBOX and PS2)

I'm running both systems to a 61" 4:3 AVIA calibrated RPTV via s-video connection.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading on this forum that no launch games for X-Box had AA (anti-aliasing). Maybe they didn't have time, maybe they looked good enough anyway, but they didn't have it.

The US launch of the PS2 had the post-AA Tekken Tag Tournmanet, which looks way better than the pre-AA TTT from Japan. My point is that you shouldn't blame the console for lazy developers. AA is not done by the PS2, the developer has to do it.

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry, you really should use the Monster Component cables for XBOX. You will see a pretty good visual improvement over S-video.

I did notice some jaggies in Halo and DOA3 with component on my 51" 4:3 HDTV RPTV (Panny) as well. Regardless I was still impressed by the quality.

MatS

Screenwriter
Kevin we are still waiting for you to tell us what games you played on the PS2 that left you disappointed in the system

proud PS2 owner

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Does PS2 has DD5.1 output and HDTV capabilities for games?
People here keep saying this...and I have to keep thinking to myself...do I really care? The answer has always been no. And I bet the majority of the game playing population doesn't care either. By the time people get around to buy hdtv's in droves there will be something bigger and badder in the gaming front. So because xbox does do the above does not matter one bit to most people. But if it works for you then wahoo, yippy do for you, but it shouldn't be used to convince other people since it really only effects a very small portion of the game playing population. Its all about the games...thats it. I personally have no brand loyalty. Its all about the games.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
It's all about the games but since both PS2 and X Box have good games avalible extra features (like 5.1 sound) played a mayor role when it came time for me choose a system. The majority of the game playing population may not care but I do.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
My sentiments exactly, Carl. Just like in the DVD world, where 99% of the population doesn't give a rat's ass about an anamorphic transfer. It may be all about the games, but that doesn't mean I want to play them on a 13 inch black and white.

-Dave

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Kevin we are still waiting for you to tell us what games you played that left you disappointed in the system
Jak & Daxter, Rayman Revolution, Silent Scope, ST: Voyager, Batman Vengence, and others.....

I just wasn't impressed w/ the graphics. I felt they were not much better than the Dreamcast (especially w/ Rayman). If they ever drop the price to $199, I'll be all over the PS2, but not now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks