What's new

Well I am finally starting my HT room (1 Viewer)

Conrad Ebel

Agent
I am hoping to have my screen up in my HT so I can watch next week's MNF in HD. HD really shines in pro sports broadcasts.

Your theater looks great, by the way. Those seats look comfortable!

Great job!

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

Well its Wednesday night and the wife is at school. So its movie night for me.

I watched U-571 at ref(80dbs) level. All I can say is WOW

That was an unbelieveable experience.

The depth charges were awesome

Steve

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Steve,

I love it when the wife leaves so I can crank it up a little...
Any new pics yet?

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
No new pics, I hope to have my 2nd set of 300's (rockets) in today for the 6th and 7th channel.

I will take a new pics of them

I have to clean up the equipment room a little and get all the wires neat looking, but the good thing is noone can see them :)

I haven't put the glass doors on the equipment rack yet and I might not put them on at all, the air flow would be alot greater to have the front and back open

I bought a few posters(Return of the King and Matrix), I will put them up this weekend.

Steve

Conrad Ebel

Agent
I just got my seating in last night. I can't wait till I can sit down and enjoy my first movie in my theater. Sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying yours! U-571 probably sounds great!

It will probably have to wait till Friday night because we are going out for my wife's birthday tonight. Ooo, maybe I can talk her into watching a movie after we get back!

Conrad Ebel

Agent
Making the wiring look pretty is going to be a challenge for me. My EQ rack is out the the open, so I really have to make it look good. At least yours is hidden!

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
I should have a few more up this weekend

Someone hacked my Web-site and I have to see if I can fix it or I may have to call the server company.

Steve

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Someone changed my index to there own(hacked).

I had to call up my server and they cleared it up.

My web is up and running again

Steve

MarkMac

Stunt Coordinator
Steve-
Congratulations on the theater. You did an amazing job!! and in such a short period...incredible.

Are you happy with the fabric on the walls? Do you feel it helped with the acoustics of the room?

I'm planning to start on my basement theater next Spring. I can't wait. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near as skilled as you are. (I'm going to need to do as much of it myself, though, with help from friends and family to keep it in budget.)

If you're interested in getting involved in another theater, let me know. I'm just down the Tri-State in Antioch, IL!

Congrats, again.

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mark,

Thanks, I am glad its over, LOL...

Yes I like the wall fabric, it gives the room a very comfortable look and does help with the acoustics*.

I use to drive right through Antioch when I worked at Intermatic in Spring Grove IL.

Make sure to take alot of pics :)

Steve

Tim O...

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Just to echo the obvious and what everyone else has said, WOW! Great job, and you did it so quickly too.

I'm about to embark on a basement theatre too, but it'll take months as opposed to your weeks, mainly due to budgetary reasons. I have a couple of questions for you and anyone else.

My theatre will be about 22' x 17' x 8'. Three and a half of the walls are external, meaning they're concrete but they'll have framing, insulation, and drywall on them. Right now they're just concrete and framing. The back wall will be framing, insulation and drywall, when I build it. I have a PB2-ISD, and I've noticed that the concrete walls and floor seem to really affect the bass peaks and nulls in the room. Ideally I'd like to put a subfloor down and then carpet it, but I don't think I'll have the $$$ to do that right now. Do you think/have you noticed that having carpet on bare concrete strongly affects room reflections? My main concern, aside from good sound reproduction, is also sound insulation - we have a new baby and I have to get the theatre as soundproof as possible.

Another question, toward that end, is what do you think the best method is for sound isolation in the ceiling of your basement theatre? I'm researching this, but just want some impressions from others too.

Tim

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tim,

Thanks, it was a long month of working every extra moment to finish that quick. But I am glad I did , I have 160+ hrs on the H77 now and the wife and I have watched 30+ movies already in there :)

As for the carpet, it seems to be working quite well and I do not have anything to stop the reflection on the ceiling.

The sounds (to me) are fantastic, but I am no expert audiophile() so I just go by what I see and hear and everything is working great.

When I played U-571(the depth charges) with the PB2+ the sounds went right through me, it was absolutely awesome!!!!

I will probably put up some bass traps(on the walls) in the future.

I would be a vote for puting carpet in instead of a sub floor for your HT.

I put drylock down, then a very good padding and then the carpet.

I am glad th PB2+ is on the concrete/carpet or it would probably shake the house down.

Basically my wife only hears the sub when she is upstairs, I can listen to a movie at about 65dbs and she doesnt hear it upstairs and all I have is drywall and R-38 in the ceiling.

Now when I crank it to 90dbs and turn the PB2+ to about 90%, I dont think there is a product out there to hold all the sound in(but I dont have it there often, I would rather not be deaf, LOLOLOL

good luck on your HT adventure :)

Steve

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't mind me asking. How much cost was involved in the room itself, not counting the Audio/Video. Just the construction part (framing, electric, drywall...)

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Josh,

Just for the HT room itself(I did another room with it :)

Framing:$200
Electrical(including $400 for 8 wall scones):$650
Drywall(including mudding):$200
Oak Trim:$250
2 Oak doors:$280
Wall Fabric:$1300
Carpet:$900

So complete construction about around $3600, just the framing,electrical and drywall(without the 8 wall sconces) is $650.

But I also spent about $600 on framing/finishing nailers and compressor to make the job 1000 times easier.

I have 200+ hrs on the H77 and no complaints :)

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks