What's new

Well here it is! (1 Viewer)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
This will probably the only finished picture I'll post of my sub because this is how I want to remember it. I had to stain it dark walnut to satisfy SWMBO. I am not liking the look of it dark one bit. I am not finished with the stain but so far I think it sucks! :frowning:

Anyway, it sure was purdy in its all natural state! A couple coats of tung oil and this thing would have really popped! Take a gander!

[c]

I ran short of Hard Maple and did not have enough for the bottom rail in the back. :frowning:

[/c]
Ronnie

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Ronnie, congratulations on a fine job. Bask in the self-accomplishment - you deserve it! I'm sorry you had to stain it, expecially a dark stain. I HATE STAIN, always have, always will.
I know SAF and WAF, but what's SWMBO?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ronnie,

Looks awesome man! Too bad you have to stain it, but it might not be too awful. I guess we'll see huh?

Hank,

SWMBO=She Who Must Be Obeyed

Took me a couple of minutes to figure it out!:)

BTW, I should have pics of a 5 speaker and subwoofer system in natural walnut in a week or so. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Well, OK... but I warned ya... :frowning:

Here it is stained. Only about an hour after staining it so no poly yet. The flash makes it look red but it in not that red.

[c]

[/c]

Darren_T

Second Unit
Nice work Ronnie! I even like the stain but don't tell anyone. I am of the camp that doesn't like stain either. I really like the natural pics... it will look great with poly over the stain too though. At least you get a nice subwoofer with wife approval!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I'm a little more neutral. I like natural wood, but I also like to play with dyes to see what I can come up with. It can be a challenge trying to come up with a matching finish for another piece of furniture. I'm still trying to figure out how to get a nice match to my Pennsylvania House Cherry bedroom furniture. But even from one piece to the next the coloration is not completely the same. I did come pretty close with the red mahogany dye. I bought my wife an unfinished chaval (sp?) mirror for Christmas last year and my dad and I tried to match it to the rest of the furniture. It's not exact, but it's good enough that it doesn't stand out in the room.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Hank, SWMBO LOVES IT! The color does not bug me as bad as the blotchy spots. Maple is just a bear to stain evenly. The good thing is our armoire is "antqued" and the blotchy spots kinda make the sub look the same.

Also I have 2 places I did not get all the glue off in some corners. So it is darker and shinier there. On top of that, it is on the veneer and not the solid maple so I cannot sand it off. I am hoping the poly will blend the sheen some. If not, it is at least in places on the sub that no one will ever know it is there EXCEPT me. And I am the person it will bug the most. I hate stuff like that!

rf

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
It is truly a shame that your old lady wanted that beautiful maple stained :frowning:

What are the dimensions on that sub? I would love to have one of those in figured cherry with nothing more than some tung oil and the warming rays of the sun to darken it up.

GregAV

Agent
It's been years, but there used to be a sealer that you could apply to the wood before staining(oil based) to limit the penetration of stain into thirstier areas of the wood - preventing/lessening blotches.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
there used to be a sealer that you could apply to the wood before staining(oil based) to limit the penetration of stain into thirstier areas of the wood - preventing/lessening blotches.
It's called 'sanding sealer' and is readily available anywhere finishing products are sold.
Considered a 'must use' for woods like beech, birch, maple, etc, that are difficult to stain....

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
And especially Oak - it needs a high solids content sanding sealer. For most woods, there's Minwax stain conditioner - I suppose it's just rebadged sanding sealer, but I don't know for sure.
Ronnie, I know what you mean abou the blotches - I've never stained anything, from new speaker cabinets to an old oak desk, that didn't have any blotches when I stained it - guess I'm just jinxed. Oh well, the SO likes it, so just enjoy the bass notes and LFE's ;)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
there used to be a sealer that you could apply to the wood before staining(oil based) to limit the penetration of stain into thirstier areas of the wood - preventing/lessening blotches.
"lessening blotches." That's the key words there when you are staining maple. There is no way to keep maple from having some blochyness with oil based stains. Dyes work well and there is an undercoat of med. brown Walnut dye under the dark walnut stain. I tried and tried to get the color correct with dyes only but to no avail... :frowning:

I would hate to see what it would look like if I DID NOT use Bahlen wood conditioner on the wood. Sander sealer would have sealed the maple up to much and I could not of achieved the really dark color I was going for. At least it did on my sample pieces...

FYI: I just added a coat of antique walnut polyshade and it helped blend the blothyness.

rf

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
We've used the Minwax water-based prestain conditioner and it's worked very well when dying maple and cherry veneers.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Personally I agree with your "hottie" wife.
I can see why you're "wipped". ;)
Congrats![on both!]:)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Personally I agree with your "hottie" wife.
I can see why you're "wipped".
Congrats![on both!]
Thanks!! (on both accounts! :b)

I don't have ANY problem at all being whipped! ;) Heck I publicly admit it all the time!

Yep, Andrea is definitely my better 7/8's (much more than my better half!) What's funny is I was always the "fat" kid in school, weighed 280 my freshman year of collage, and am a self professed computer geek. (I HAVE dropped 80-lbs since then.) My biggest memories of high school was not the prom and stuff like that but was running a C-NET BBS on my C-64 with dual floppy drives out of my bedroom in the early 80's. It is definitely a tale of Computer Geek weds Homecoming Queen. How I ended up with her I'll never know. I get ribbed about it all the time. But that's OK with me!

If Andrea wanted the sub pink, I'd of painted it pi... no, wait.... There's no way in heck I'd of painted it pink! :D

Ronnie

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ronnie,

Nothing wrong with being whipped sometimes! BTW, what's this "hottie" wife stuff? I've never seen any pics!:)

I think my wife is a hottie too, but I'm biased. Hank's met her so maybe he'll chime in. I do remember him being rather intrigued when I told him she had a twin sister. So that must say something. :D

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
I hope she does not mind if I post her pic. I guess not, because all of these are on our website.

[c]
Here she is with the dork she married. ;)

And here she is with our latest addition, Mousse:
[/c]

:laugh: I just noticed she has the same shirt on in those pictures and they are about 1-1/2 years apart. :)

Take care,

Ronnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks