What's new

Welcome to HTF's New Display Calibration Area!! (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys!!
It is an extreme pleasure to welcome you to this new area on HTF.
Use this area to ask about video standards, calibration and setup of devices, calibration software and hardware selection, etc.
We will do our very best to get back to you with excellent answers and will do our best to make it in a timely fashion.!!
:cool:
Gregg Loewen
Lead Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Great idea Gregg. Does this also include audio calibration? If so, I also have an audio question.
1) I have the Spears and Munsil cal. disc and I was wondering if there was any benefit to buying the Disney WOW disc? I currently use my old Sound and Vision cal. disc for audio calibration. Would the WOW disc be better for video or audio calibration? My receiver decodes the HD codecs, and I use the Panasonic BD65 Blu-ray player.
2) With my Mits. HC3800 projector, I use "Cinema" mode for movies, and "Video" for football games(each has it's own user setting and are calibrated separately). Is it best to use "Video" for football games? Or just use "Cinema" for both?
Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Jim
No, this is a video area only. Perhaps we should be setting up an audio calibration area too? Time will tell.
That being said...
I know nothing of the Disney disc relating to audio....
In most circumstances (aka 99% of the time), you cant really do much to calibrate audio anyways (unless you are considering speaker placement, room design, accoustic treatments etc. Usually all you can do is ensure that your receiver is setup correctly with Speaker size to small, xcross overs all at 80 (inc sub), the distance to speakers is set correctly, correct wiring, etc. Then use a SPL meter to hit 75 dB at all speakers from the listening position.
On to question 2:.
You are "most likely" using your viewing presets incorrectly (depends on how the manufacturer uses presets). Calibrated is calibrated, whether it be for sports or movies, the same video standards should be followed. The one caveat to that is that many people tend to watch sporting events with some lights on. If this is the case, then there should be a slightly different gamma, slightly lighter black level, and your color gamut will need to be larger (from the projector, as the ambient room light will shrink it).

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
As far as question 2, maybe I didn't word it right. My projector allows me to "save" 3 different user settings. So I calibrated one with Cinema mode for movies, and the other one with Video mode(a little brighter) that I use for football games. The Video mode is a little brighter after both are calibrated. Are you saying I should just use Cinema mode and the one calibration? I always watch with the lights off, and my room is a dark cave. Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys
Pete, I am going to separate your question out of this "announcement thread".
Jim,
The Video mode is a little brighter after both are calibrated. Are you saying I should just use Cinema mode and the one calibration? I always watch with the lights off, and my room is a dark cave. Thanks.
If you are watching both types of content in the same ambient light conditions, then yes, you should be using Cinema mode for both.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Hi all,

Didn't know which thread to jump into with my couple of questions, so I'll just welcome myself into this one!

My "good" screen here is a Panasonic 50" VT25 purchased at BB/Magnolia two years ago. My only regret is that I didn't suck it up and go for a bigger one, but I totally love it, and the size works well enough because it's in a room where I only need to please me, so I have a close seating arrangement that cuts it pretty well. It hasn't been calibrated. I've used it almost exclusively in THX mode, I've enjoyed 3D via Blu-ray from my Oppo BDP-93 (and a tiny bit from Comcast cable), and in all this time I've only tweaked a couple of settings -- to bring the contrast down slightly, I think, and to switch to "Size 2" to eliminate as much overscan as possible. Its use is probably 85% Blu-ray movies and TV, the rest being cable movies and TV. No streaming, no games, no abuse.

First question is about service warranties. When making the purchase, I took two years of coverage from Best Buy which is going to expire on October 2. At the time, that seemed like a much better idea than only having the manufacturer's warranty, and their brief checklist makes it still seem so, but I'd sure love some advice. I've had no need for service to date. At two years of age, is $120 for another year or $325 for three more years reasonable, and likely to come in handy? Their blurb states 24/7 phone/online support, reinstallation (but only if they installed it, and they didn't), normal wear and tear issues, power surge repair, full parts and labor. Is that good? Are they trustworthy? Can I do better?

Second question is about getting it calibrated. I'd like to treat myself to that sometime soon. I won't call BB for it. I'd presume some well qualified and trustworthy types are reading this, so please excuse my ignorance, but what am I looking at in cost, and if there are more than one of you who work in the western Connecticut area, how does one deal with the thorny issue of making a choice? Or maybe not that many people are excited about coming out for a 50" screen. I'm about to change the room around a little bit, so would probably want to wait till that's done, maybe several weeks from now. At any rate, my thanks in advance for any advice!

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Charles
Extended warranties are great...but only if you use them and the odds are that you wont. That being said, are you a betting man ? $325 for an extension on a used display seems really high. Hopefully others can chime in. THe VT25 is still a very nice display.
as far as calibration goes, I cover New England, including western CT (hartford, Springfield MA, FishKill NY etc). Just send me an email and we can set something up.
Regards
Gregg
[email protected]

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Anyone seen the review of the Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lumagen-radiance-mini-3d-201210152092.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks