What's new

Weird scaling issues with JVC DLA-RS45U projector (1 Viewer)

Jjccontracting

Auditioning
Real Name
John Calefato's
Using the WOW calibration disc, I get strange bowing and ghosting images on the screen when running the scaling and advanced scaling tests. Im supposed to be seeing either a thatched pattern, vertical or horizontal lines, depending on the test. I see no patterns or lines at all. Even the 1 pixel squares on the overscan test don't look right.
I've isolated the problem to the projector, because I tried hooking up a Blu-ray directly to it and I get the same results. At first I thought it was a problem with the disc, but I also have a Blu-ray carousel on a matrix switch that goes to this projector and to 3 other flat panel tv's and the images are correct on the flat panels but not on the projector.
There are no scaling or over scanning settings on the projector and I've tried turning off deep color and 24p on the players but it had no effect.
I also have the Spears & Munsel disc but I didn't find any scaling or overscan tests on there. When I watch a movie it looks fine to me, so I'm not sure what to do. I'm really at a loss. I've contacted JVC and they were completely useless. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
how is your source connected to your PJ?
What is your source?
How is your source setup?
Is your source via an AVR?
How is your AVR setup?

Jjccontracting

Auditioning
Real Name
John Calefato's
Many of your questions are answered in the 2nd paragraph, but just to clarify..
3 different Blu-ray players (2 Samsungs & 1 Sony carousel). One connected directly to the projector (test purposes only), one to an AVR for the Theater.and the other to an HDMI Matrix switch whichs also connects to the same AVR. I get the same result on all so it must be the projector...
Can't find any scaling or overscan settings on the projector so I don't know what else to do. JVC tech support were useless. Tried all settings on the Blu-ray players as well, such as Deep color & 24p. The results are always the same.
What problems does this actually cause? Like I said, I haven't spent hours at a clip watching it but it looks really damn good to me. Let me know what you think. Thanks. John.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Is it possible you have keystoning enabled and that's messing everything up???
Either way, what problem are you trying to solve by using the overscan? If movies look good to you don't sweat it.

Jjccontracting

Auditioning
Real Name
John Calefato's
Sam Posten said:
Either way, what problem are you trying to solve by using the overscan? If movies look good to you don't sweat it.
I'll check the keystone settings...I'm not trying to use over scanning. The scaling and over scanning are happening on its own.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
there should be no over scanning. If the PJ is overscanning then there will be a bunch of processing going on and the PJ will not be doing 1:1 pixel mapping. this will cause a ton of problems with motion artifacting.
Never use digital keystone correct and also never use digital sizing correction.

Jjccontracting

Auditioning
Real Name
John Calefato's
Sam Posten said:
You are awesome!!! I did have a 1 tick keystone correction set because the top corners were wider than the bottom, so it really needs a little correction. Anyway I took off the keystone correction & away went my scaling problems! Now it's displaying the correct patterns. Thanks so much! It was driving me nuts trying to figure this out...

Jjccontracting

Auditioning
Real Name
John Calefato's
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Gregg Loewen said:
hi
there should be no over scanning. If the PJ is overscanning then there will be a bunch of processing going on and the PJ will not be doing 1:1 pixel mapping. this will cause a ton of problems with motion artifacting.
Never use digital keystone correct and also never use digital sizing correction.
Please read my post above. The keystone correction was the problem! I'm so psyched! But what do I do about the keystone issue? As i mentioned in my previous post, it does need a slight correction.

Monitorman

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Miller
Hi John,
The only thing you can do is make sure you have the PJ mounted level to the screen both in the vertical and the horizontal planes, and then just use the lens shift to get it positioned exactly correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks