What's new

Weird pauses in sound (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Hello! Here's a quick newbie question:

I have a Sony HT-DDW740 system, hooked up to my DVD player with an optical cable. Whenever I have a DVD menu on my screen, and make a selection, my DVD slightly pauses (which is normal...only half a second or so). But when it does pause, my reciever's info screen turns off (like there's no sound being input into it)except for the title, VIDEO 2. When the new menu pops up, my reciever takes 2 seconds to turn back on (now that sound is being input to it), which makes me miss 2 seconds of sound. Its very annoying...it fixes when I turn on PCM mode, but thats too much trouble to switch to if I just want to make a menu change. Any suggestions?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there is a solution for this. The DVD player must not pickup the DD or DTS signal very quickly. Annoying Yes! I know, my preamp does the same thing.

Brent

Jonny K

Second Unit
My receiver doesn't turn off when it loses a signal, but my DVD player certainly has a similar problem. Any time I hit a menu item there is a 1 second pause in sound. This also happens when layers of the disk are changed during movie play. (right in the middle of the movie the sound cuts out for 2 seconds or so). Drives me nuts. I guess my DVD player just doen't buffer enough sound or something.

I don't know if I'd blame your receiver, I think it may be a DVD player issue. But hey, I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so don't trust my judgement.

Jonny K. :)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I have the HT-DDW840 system and I do not notice any annoying pauses. Have you tried using a coax cable instead of the optical cable?

Mark

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I had the coax and optical plugged in at the same time, then just optical. But I havent tried just coax. (My coax cable is bad, and doesn't provide very much bass compaired to my nice opt. cable). I was just wondering if it was my reciever, or DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks