What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9/6/2005 (2 Viewers)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well Mike, I would get Lost ;) and Toy Story 1 SE, but I am on saving mode right now until I get a new computer, so it will have to wait.

By the way, when Toy Story 2 SE gets release, you should put the Woody Roundup image and quote from your signature in the Quotes of the Week. :D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Busiest week in a very long time. Too busy actually. I'll be getting:

Charmed season 2
Lost season 1
Millennium season 3
The Innocents
Dead & Breakfast
The Deer Hunter
Hellraiser: Hellworld
The Bela Lugosi Collection
The Hammer Collection

Tommy G

Screenwriter
It seems as if there wasn't anything I wanted to buy all summer long and now that I am looking to get The Sting, the cheapest price is $19.99 at B&M? :angry: Online is not much better so I'll be checking out the local Wally World to see how they price it.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Here's a weird question: Does anyone know if the Prophecy II and Prophecy III are flagged as widescreen. Does the picture automatically zoom on widescreen TVs or do you have to manually zoom the picture. The reason I ask is that I don't have a manual zoom on either my DVD player or TV and if it's improperly flagged as 4X3 the picture will have black bars all around it.

Thanks for any info.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey gang! Back from my Labor Day fun!

I have updated the first post to include all the various in-store specials! Thanks to everyone who posted about all the various fixes/corrections. I have updated the following:

Toy Story at Best Buy
Millennium: Season 3 at Best Buy
That this week's new release is Jump Street: Season 3
and, the BB exclusive on Space: Above & Beyond.

Personally, I would LOVE to get all three Legacy Series titles this week. But will probably settle for just The Sting and TKAM. Am very tempted by Lost: Season 1 at BB (RZ price + bonus disc). Everyone I know is raving about this show, too.

Thanks again! :emoji_thumbsup:

And, special thanks to Patrick Sun--who, through his HTF wizardry, is able to post my RoundUp at just the right time for me...even though I am nowhere near a computer! Thanks Patrick! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By the way, when Toy Story 2 SE gets release, you should put the Woody Roundup image and quote from your signature in the Quotes of the Week.

Maybe I'll do just that! (On 12/26/05, BTW.) Have those giftcards at the ready! ;)

I've decided not to double-dip on the Toy Story movies--even though they are absolute faves of mine. I've got the Ultimate Toy Box and while I have been following the discussion in David Boulet's Official Toy Story Review Thread , I just cannot justify the extra expense. Although $15 at Target is just killing me! Any Roundup regulars taking the extra dive?

Oh. And don't forget the DTS track.... Damn!

From David's Review thread:

The new mix is in keeping with the character of the original; it is not as radically changed as what you might be familiar with from the Lion King's DEHT mix or from the DEHT presentation in Aladdin (in which case I actually preferred the original theatrical mix). However, some of the signature hallmarks of Disney's "enhanced" mixes are consistent. Firstly, the soundstage is opened up both in width and in depth...the new presentation seems to extend far beyond the edges of the L/R speakers and far behind the 3 front mains as well. Secondly, the bass response is more extended, more robust, and the entire presentation sounds more dynamic and more aggressive (when appropriate) without becoming wearing or gratuitously forceful. Lastly, the DTS mix brings, in my system, a host of gains in realism, treble smoothness, imaging, and cohesion to the soundfield. In fact, this is one of the best-sounding DTS presentations I've heard in a long time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I never tell people to blind buy something (especially a TV set- due to price) but I have told tons of people to blind buy Lost. Especially with the bonus disc and the RZ discount.

And if you don't like it, eBay's resale value will probably be pretty high (and depending the scarcity of the bonus disc, you might make money):)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
dont forget to check boxes of reddinbacker popcorn for the $10 rebate LOST coupon.

i'm getting the toy story if not for the image then at least for the dts-es.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony:

You may have just put me over the top with the popcorn rebate! :D I did a JollyTime rebate for Bambi and it worked great.

You may have helped too, Travis! ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Greg: Honestly...and this is a lousy answer...but when I ran into that question about DeGrassi myself this week, I just decided to leave it out of the RoundUp. The darn thing was already so big...with so many titles....

For that, I apologize. If you find out its released this week (TVShowsonDVD is a most reliable source!), please post prices here for the rest of the gang!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mike, you don't have to apologize for anything. You do a great job with this list, and I can understand when one title is hard to deal with with different information from different sources. I'm almost hoping it'll be at the end of the month, which would make it easier to buy a couple other things now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Greg. But I'll betcha DeGrassi: S3 is released today. if Dave Lambert says so, so it shall be! Dig deep into your wallet! :D

In the meantime, anyone see any Wal-Mart prices yet today on any of this week's releases? In particular, I'm wondering about the Universal Legacy Series releases: The Sting, To Kill A Mockingbird and The Deer Hunter. I'm thinking W-M is our only hope for decent pricing this week.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
News from the retail front lines - all of it good:

At Costco, the three Universal legacy titles (Deer Hunter, The Sting, and To Kill a Mocking Bird) are available for $16.59.

At Best Buy, The Garbo Signature Collection rang up for $77.99, and "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" rang up for $9.99. Both of these were less than the Round-Up/Best Buy website prices.

Note: as of this typing, Best Buy has updated their online price for the Garbo Collection to the $77.99 figure. It was indeed higher before.

Regards,

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Too cool for school, Ken! :emoji_thumbsup:

Your news about the Legacy prices at Costco reminded me of two things:

1.) I wish we had Costco stores in my area (not to mention Fry's), and

2.) to call my local BJs Wholesale Club (where I have a membership) to inquire about the Legacy prices. A fine fellow there just told me they have all three titles for $17.99! :D

Mike scurries off to adjust BB price on Garbo collection in the table. Thanks!

No Wal-Mart prices yet, anyone?

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Just came back from Wal-mart and purchased:

Toy Story - $14.87
To Kill a Mockingbird - $19.44
Deer Hunter - $19.44

At this point I am becoming less apt to drive the 10 extra miles to CircuitCity or BestBuy or wherever just to save a buck or two. Gas prices are making it a moot point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks