What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9-25-2012 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yikes! 39 posts since the last time I checked this WRU!

Youse guys has been busy.

Much like the old days around here. It's nice.

Favorite part: Adam hiding a disc for Jason! Love it!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/323953/weekly-roundup-9-25-2012/90#post_3980135
Favorite part: Adam hiding a disc for Jason! Love it!

I mentioned to my carpool buddy (and my boss) on the way home Avengers came out today. She was caught unaware and thought her husband would appreciate it she picked it up for him. I told her I was going to Target anyway...why not go together? She hemmed and hawed for a bit, but we got there. I said Adam (whom she knows by my very flattering stories) put a copy "aside" for me in case there wasn't one on the shelf. She thought it was hysterical.

Until we got to the store and found that copy. PRICELESS look on her face.

Like I told Adam in a PM, she now understands the depth of our fanatacism (and community, of course). To quote the song from Fast Five: that's how we roll.

BTW, I already downloaded the digital copy and the soundtrack for Avengers. Working on the UV of Batman now.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
I'm sticking with preorder price of 24.96 from Amazon on the 3-D release of The Avengers considering sales tax, gas consumption and value of my personal time to make a special trip to Target on Tuesday.
Crawdaddy
Was that with the coupon they offered a while back or have they lowered the price on your pre-order?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by DavidJ /t/323953/weekly-roundup-9-25-2012/90#post_3980145
Was that with the coupon they offered a while back or have they lowered the price on your pre-order?
That's right.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Jason_V said:
I mentioned to my carpool buddy (and my boss) on the way home Avengers came out today.  She was caught unaware and thought her husband would appreciate it she picked it up for him.  I told her I was going to Target anyway...why not go together?  She hemmed and hawed for a bit, but we got there.  I said Adam (whom she knows by my very flattering stories) put a copy "aside" for me in case there wasn't one on the shelf.  She thought it was hysterical. 
Until we got to the store and found that copy.  PRICELESS look on her face. 
Like I told Adam in a PM, she now understands the depth of our fanatacism (and community, of course).  To quote the song from Fast Five: that's how we roll.  :banana:
BTW, I already downloaded the digital copy and the soundtrack for Avengers.  Working on the UV of Batman now.
So where did he hide it? :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got the Bond 50 blu-ray set at Costco for $149.99. They also had the 2-D blu of Avengers for $19.99. But I was shocked to see the 3-D version of Avengers there for $33! That sounds unusually high for Costco.
Regarding Mike posting images of Scarlett, while I wasn't a big fan of the Avengers film, one other aspect of the film was nice to see; Cobie Smulders. So I'm shocked Mike didn't post any pics of her! :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Probably no point in posting now, but I was at my Target at 8.10am. They had TONS of the two disc version and only a few of the 3D. I hadn't seen the first page of this thread where the deal was mentioned and wouldn't have even known about it but I decided to take a look at the book section and saw the 3Ds on a separate end-cap and the price sticker caught my eye.

The woman at checkout said everyone was buying the movie today, she'd sold eight already, but four were to the same guy.

Watched the bonus disc tonight with the kids. Pretty decent documentary covering Marvel Studios and each of the films in the Avengers series. It ties everything together on the thinking behind the decision to make this series. Much better than the usual bonus disc content. Glad I picked this up.

And, yes, the 3D version includes a digital version of the soundtrack as well.

croooow

Grip
Real Name
Nicholas
Paul D G said:
Probably no point in posting now, but I was at my Target at 8.10am. They had TONS of the two disc version and only a few of the 3D...
I picked up the 3D set soon after opening yesterday before work. They had about 20 or so 3D and multiple dozens of 2D Blu-Ray 2 disc sets and DVD. I stopped by that evening (for some other items, I live very close so it is usually the place to go for quick shopping) and they were sold out. In the morning they only had them out near the registers (on end caps) and were still setting up the Avengers movie display area, by that evening the top shelf with the "4 Disc Combo Pack" banner was blank and I saw a very people trying to find the $20 3D set. If you did not go early you missed out.:(

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I received the JB Boxed Set yesterday. Disappointed to find out that the poster box is not part of the boxed set (meaning inside the box) but simply included in the shrink wrap. Still though, at $150 for all 22 movies, I think it is great deal.
Bad for Fox for not continuing the mini 3-4 BD sets though. (double dipping again).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/323953/weekly-roundup-9-25-2012/90#post_3980179
Regarding Mike posting images of Scarlett, while I wasn't a big fan of the Avengers film, one other aspect of the film was nice to see; Cobie Smulders. So I'm shocked Mike didn't post any pics of her!

I support the concept of "equal time" when appropriate...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
C'mon, Jason...

You can be a bit more specific than that. What was the "other item?!?" Maybe we can turn this into an "official HTF hiding place."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some DVD section that gets little traffic? Documentaries, perhaps?

Mature viewing (with those dark plastic covers in front of each row of titles)?

Maybe he placed it behind HTF fave Zardoz in the DVD Sci-Fi section?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
GPS co-ordinates 532 by 596... Just kidding.

It was behind some children's activity books an aisle or two over. Blue Hello Kitty books. And you've never seen two adults in the store looking so hardcore for Hello Kitty.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Jason_V /t/323953/weekly-roundup-9-25-2012/90#post_3980248
GPS co-ordinates 532 by 596... Just kidding.

It was behind some children's activity books an aisle or two over. Blue Hello Kitty books. And you've never seen two adults in the store looking so hardcore for Hello Kitty.

That's it. Next time I'll go checking behind all them Hello Kitty books at my local Target if I can't find it at the normal places.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's the perfect crime.

While some might think the Hello Kitty section of the Children's Book aisle might be too highly-trafficked, those people looking for Hello Kitty books might also very likely NOT be in the market for some whiz-bang action-adventure Blu-ray.

Genius...

=========================

Nelson: You're welcome. It is always a pleasure to accommodate the needs of the membership!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
While some might think the Hello Kitty section of the Children's Book aisle might be too highly-trafficked, those people looking for Hello Kitty books might also very likely NOT be in the market for some whiz-bang action-adventure Blu-ray.

croooow

Grip
Real Name
Nicholas
ManW_TheUncool said:
Actually, I'm reading elsewhere that some people have apparently been running around various Targets early in the morning to buy up their entire stocks and then likely to scalp on eBay, etc.  That's apparently why so many sold out so very quickly. :f
Someone paid $60.99 (+ $3 shipping) for the $20 target 3D set and the $7.50 Best Buy metal case preorder exclusive. :rolleyes: link to ebay auction, ended yesterday

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Nelson Au said:
Thanks Mike for the "equal time"! :)
+1 :)
And Mike, might I add that those images are a perfect argument against the use of screenshots to judge the quality of a release? Cobie looks MUCH nicer when she's actually moving within the frame. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks