What's new

Weekly Roundup 9/23 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I went to CostCo then Circuit City and neither had the "Pig Pack." The latter had "Babe" but only full screen and shelved with the family movies. I finally went to a regional retailer (Fred Meyer) and found the two pack for 19.99.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
More bitching from me re Babe WS:

Target - No.
WalMart - No.

Fortunately I needed some computer cables so I went to Fry's which is way out of the way and they had it there.

I can understand people bitching about "black bars" but it doesn't make sense for the store to NOT carry a version of a product where there are two versions available. If people are complaining, add a good sized tag to the front of the shelf noting Widescreen or Full Screen.

grrr.

-paul

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Dave

Great job as usual :emoji_thumbsup:
Your research and time spent on this thread are much appreciated!

Local Wal-Mart (Corona, CA) info:

I picked-up Holes for $13.88 and They Live for $9.64.

Passed on Casper @ $14.24, Daddy Day Care @ $13.88, Babe 1 @ $14.24 (plenty of copies in stock - both FF and WS), and the Babe Pig Pack @ $19.64.

Interesting note on the Babe Pig Pack: They had 2 versions of the Pig Pack in stock and they were labeled FF or WS. There were not any additional specs / details on the outside of the box case noting the aspect ratios for each movie. However, the spine for Babe 1 (in the WS Pig Pack) does state WS. I would be led to believe that both movies would be in WS if I bought the "Wide Screen Pig Pack". But, based on what I have read on HTF, Babe 2 is not WS. If this is correct, I believe that the packaging is grossly misleading. Can anyone who has bought the WS Pig Pack confirm that Babe 2 is WS or FF?

Thanks!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Babe 2: Pig in the City is BOTH wide- and full-screen on the same DVD, in all packages (individually and in the "Pig Pack" 2-film set)!

Specs are on the BOTTOM of the Pig Pack. It is split into two areas: on the right is the Babe 2 area that shows both WS and FS are included. On the left are the specs for the original Babe film; it will show EITHER wide (1.85) OR full (1.33). It is "which version of the first film is included?" which decides whether you are getting a WS Pig Pack or a FS Pig Pack.

Best Buy yesterday had a gazillion copies of both Pig Pack versions in-stock, at the prices mentioned in the Roundup. I have not seen the Babe films anywhere else yet, but then Tues I was home taking care of a feverish 5-year-old and Weds making up for lost time at work, so I've only been to BB and Costco so far this week. Oh, and briefly to K-Mart, but I barely scanned the DVD section. Might try to hit Wal-Mart on the way into work this morning.

Anyone found Homecoming or Scrooge yet?

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Having never seen Babe: PITC, is it worth it to grab the 2 pack for only $5 or so more than just getting the first one?

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Well, here's the response I got from Circuit City about not being able to buy the Widescreen Babe for $12.99 from their website...

Dear Bleddyn Williams:

Thank you for writing to Circuit City.

I understand that you wish buy the Widescreen for $12.99.

We seek to ensure all customer concerns are reviewed appropriately. I
understand how it feels when you do not get the expected service.

I have checked the weekly ad section on our web site and found that the
Full Screen version is for $12.99. Please note that the Widescreen
version is not the part of the special edition and so it is for $17.99.
I apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered.

As one of the nation's leading specialty electronics retailers, we
attribute our success to a superior service commitment. Regrettably,
like any enterprise, we fall short of our intentions on occasion and
customer feedback helps us know of shortcomings. Your message will be
reviewed with the store management team, to ensure that any associate
shortcomings are appropriately addressed.

I trust this information is helpful.

Thanks again for writing to Circuit City. Your continued patronage is
important to our company. We hope to have the occasion to serve your
future consumer electronics, home, office and entertainment needs.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Holes at the Bowie WalMart yesterday. That was at (what seems to be) their now standard $14.63 new release price. (Sleeping Beauty was still at the price, but Identity had moved up. There were some other new releases that I wasn't interested at that price there.) The person at the counter that that fullscreen and widescreen were both in the same package, but I was able to correct her and get the widescreen.

Smallville was selling for $49.99 there.

Neil

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I went to CC yesterday and found out that the sale was only for the P & S version. I immediately went to Best Buy and was able to get a price match of $12.99 on the widescreen version of Babe.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I've been convinced to pick up Casper at Costco and the Pig-pack at Best Buy. Circuit City is getting really dumb in how they market the delineation between fullscreen and widescreen releases.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

As they were the "brains" behind DIVX, it seems like their misguided business model continues. Who's in charge of that company anyway?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's right! Dave & I would make sure those b*st*rd customers get good, friendly service! :angry:

:D

But, I wonder how much Circuit City is worth, Dave?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
With the way their value is plummetting, pretty soon we'll be able to buy the company with the money we make from pawning all the pan-and-scan DVDs we collectively own. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks