What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9/20/2005 (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Wanted to chime in for the first time since I have waaay too many wants for this week:

Crime Story: Season 2 (already have it; posted my thoughts in the TV on DVD forum)
From the Earth to the Moon (the sale price at Circuit City is tempting; sold my previous copy)
Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig (already have it; see the thread in TV on DVD forum)
Lady in White (anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 for a great price)
The Pretender: Season 2 (anamorphic widescreen! hopefully my Sam's Club will have this at a cheaper price like Season 1)

Rentals:

Desperate Housewives: Season 1 (I saw about 1/4 of the season on TV)
The Longest Yard (Does this hold the record for fastest theatrical to DVD release?)
Mindhunters (I'm a sucker for whodunnits; might buy it when it goes down in price - hopefully soon - since it probably won't sell well)

Don't Knows:

Battlestar Galactica: Season 1 (I watched every episode, even for Season 2 but somehow I don't know if I want to own this)
Wallace & Gromit (I have the Fox version with early animations and Christmas Interstitials and I really want the Crackling Contraptions shorts but am not in a rush)

I read this thread every week and then check the ads online for Circuit City (prices may differ since I'm in Hawai'i) and now that we have a Best Buy (with one more opening soon), I check their weekly ad but they don't have it for Hawai'i yet (it says come back Sept. 25). I also go to my Sam's Club because they have some titles at really good prices, especially for boxed sets like TV shows.

Thanks Mike and Patrick for this great service!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: What? A guy can't like unicorns?

I think its time for me to update the ol' disclaimer. :D

Ya know...I didn't even have Barbie/Pegasus in my line-up for this week...but when I saw the flyers for BB, CC AND Target ALL had the damn thing listed, I acquiesced. I know there are a few RoundUp regulars who purchase "kids titles"...especially Dora and Spongebob. I usually leave out things like Baby Einstein, Barbie, and others. Does anyone care? I dunno. But I'd be willing to listen. :)

Note to self...update disclaimer!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Isn't the Ultimate Beverly Hillbilles Collection due from MPI this week as well?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I don't know if this was mentioned, and sorry if I missed it. But my bestbuy add (San Diego) shows a $14.99 price for Mallrats if you are reward zone member.

I will also pick up The longest yard for the bonus disc while I am there, and PM circuit city.

Also may pick up the Outsiders.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

The sources I've seen say Sept. 27.

Nothing for me. I want Lady In White eventually, but right now there are too many TV box sets either on the way or that I have to catch up on. I put off getting the original disc so long, I can wait a little longer. Though, it would be a good Halloween disc, so I may get it soon.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
MAJOR DUNDEE for me. This is probably my most eagerly anticipated DVD of the year (mostly because Warner's Peckinpah box has been delayed until next year).

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I haven't seen the BB ad, so I was wondering if anyone knows if the DH calendar is going to be an honest-to-goodness calendar or like the incredibly lame Lion King calendar/mouse pad? TIA

I'm in a quandry. I'm willing to pay a $1 more at BB for a good 2006 calendar, but if it's crap I'd rather go to Target for the bonus disk and cheapest price.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Pretty good week, but Best Buy's prices on the MGM horror titles are pretty lame. They seem to up their prices more and more every week.

Anyway, I'm getting:

Dolls
From a Whisper to a Scream (better known as The Offspring)
After Midnight
Xtro
Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's what it looks like:

HERE'S a link to the page at bb.com with a description. It looks like its close to the same size as the DVD box...if you can use that pic for a scale...which I doubt you can.

A $19.99 value!!! ;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Is the bonus episode on Desperate Housewives from Target worth the extra $2 over the Best Buy RZ price? This wd be mostly a blind buy for me since I only caught parts of a couple episodes but thought it was pretty well done.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The "Sorting out the Dirty Laundry" recap episode was weird because they have a guy narrate the clips to get the viewers up to speed, but it's off-putting because I'm used to having Brenda Strong do the narration, since she does it for all the episodes of the show.

I've spent $2 on lesser things, can't imagine being too disappointed if you got the DH set at Target for the extra recap episode.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Thanks Patrick. Looks like I'll be heading to Target for DH.

That was their fatal mistake... the episode could have been kitschy catchup fun, but they blew it on the narration.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
As an FYI, Media Play will be offering a free Desperate Housewives apron with the purchase of the Desperate Housewives Season 1 boxset (quantities limited; in-store only). Price of the set is $39.99.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I heard that Wal-Mart has "From Earth To The Moon" priced at $55.00, is that the lowest anyone else has seen or heard? I've seen Circuit City has it for a bit more at $64.99.

Anyone know if all the sets come with a FREE ticket to the IMAX showing of "Walk On The Moon" or is this a special at certain retailers only?

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Battlestar Galactica and Barbie for me. Well, BSG for me and Barbie for my two girls.

Mike, it'd be great if you did include kid stuff on the list, it helps me plan out my stops for the week to know where I can find the best deal for the little ones.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Stephen: Thanks for the feedback! I'm really up in the air about this. There are soooo many kids titles each week! I'd love to hear from others...especially if there are personal favorites.

Actually, there are just SO MANY titles altogether! There are usually several hundred to wade through and for me to make some kind of determination about what are "mainstream" titles of interest to HTFers. For gosh sake, on September 6 there were so many "important" titles, the RoundUp took me quite a long time!

When Dave Lambert started-up this puppy back in the day, it really was an extension of his own personal shopping list. And, he figured, if he was going to go to the effort of putting this list together for his own purposes, why not share it with others? BTW, Dave's personal DVD collection has just exceeded the three ka-jillion mark! :D

It's not the same for me. I enjoy putting together the list, but most weeks I actually don't buy that many new releases. I DO like knowing what releases are coming soon and I am interested in the pricing patterns from store-to-store and region-to-region.

Soooooo, while I make no guarantees about trying to include anyone's requests...I am willing to listen! ;)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
For those who were wondering if the Best Buy $10 coupon from the "Lost" bonus disc would work with the sale price of "Desperate Housewives," the answer is yes.

It took $10 off the $37.99 price - hence $27.99. I am a Reward Zone member, but it didn't do the $34.99. I'm not complaining because I think $27.99 is a bloody good price! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks