What's new

Weekly Roundup 9/2 (Gasp! Choke! MONSTER number of titles!) (1 Viewer)

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Sorry if this has been covered before but if I were to go to the local Borders store on Tues would I be able to buy the HSR BS for the price listed for Amazon in the round up? I would much rather buy it in person than order it online. Thanks!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all your hard work, Dave.

I got a $25 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble for my birthday, so I preordered the HSRC Box Set from them (32.99 on BN.com). I think the only other thing I'll be picking up is Three O'Clock High. I read that there's a 20% off coupon to Borders in the Walden Book flyer, so I'll probably check there first.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Obviously I was joking about it being a light week. :) I will definitely be buying all of these titles, though I may not get them all this week. I typically only buy 4 per week. And the next two weeks really are light (only Sleeping Beauty), so I'll probably spread it out a little.

Ryan_Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I am an extremely infrequent poster to any section of the forum besides Video Game Talk, but I want to take the time to thank Dave, a man whose research on bargains, tvondvd, and classic 80's film is much appreciated by myself as well as countless others on this board. To take the time out of a busy holiday/birthday! weekend to post a huge roundup is amazing, and I am most thankful. A man, a wife, their kids, and a roundup. I don't think I could ever do it, and on a week with 50 solid titles, every man deserves a pass, and Dave steps up to the plate every time.

So happy birthday, and thanks.

In other news, I think the high school reunion is classified at Best Buy under the "Brat-Pack collection." I remember a $39.99 price tag last Wednesday or Thursday. I didn't expect a price break, since most of their prices are updated by then for the coming week. So I purchased at amazon w/ love for 26.98.

Adrian_S

Second Unit
For me this week, it's:

Breakfast Club
Cheech&Chong's Next Movie
Outer Limits - Season 2
Simpsons:Treehouse/Horror
Sixteen Candles
Stargate SG-1 - Season 4_
Weird Science
Xena - Season 2

.. and maybe Alias? I have never seen the show, is this a good blind buy? I did the same with buffy, but while it was good, I didn't like it as much as some folks.

I can't wait till I get my raise... I really need it now that I'm going broke buying all these dvd.... :D :D :D

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again Dave, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Quick question, didn't the original Outer Limits only run for two seasons?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
.. and maybe Alias? I have never seen the show, is this a good blind buy?
No. Try to catch an episode or two first.

Probably just Angel and MP:TMOL for me this week.

Anyone know if Fry's is open on Labor Day? I'm thinking of picking up some older releases.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Chris, about the Reward Zone points for SG-1: I see where you are coming from, because it say "Plus...". I don't think that means "regular points Plus these extra points". I think it means "you save the money, Plus we'll give you points as if you were paying full price for these". Either way it's a cool deal. Your way is better, but I've learned to be skeptical when it comes to BB interpreting these deals in the most optimistic way. It's a moot point for me, as I already have S1-S3, and will get S4 from Costco at the lesser price.

Tony: re "David, may i suggest you get the high school collection right away ?" Uh, did you see I'm already wanting to spend over $400?!?!?! I CAN'T afford to get that right away. Sucks, but life's hard. Otherwise I would be all over Costco's nice little price for that. Anyway, thanks to you (and Adam and Ryan) for pointing me to the Brat Pack wording...as I said, it makes sense given that the High School Reunion Collection was originally called the Brat Pack by Universal in their first press releases. Corrected in the grid.

John: thanks for the correction on Alias season #'s...got confused as you suggested. Corrected.

Derek: Thanks for the TMNT info at Target. I saw it while putting the Roundup together, I thought I typed it, I musted been dizzy or distracted. I've corrected it. Thanks again.

Brian, when you order online at Borders.com it simply redirects you to Amazon's site. It is basically Amazon with the Borders name slapped on it. Borders in-store prices are very different, and so is their stock. Consider them two different entities, because they very much are. Borderstores.com is the site for their brick-and-mortar presence, and High School Reunion set is $44.99 in-stores.

Ryan, thanks for your kind words. It was aggravating to feel like I was letting y'all down a bit, but on the other hand I wanted to kick back and enjoy myself this weekend. I treated myself to a cross-town DVD shopping trip on my birthday, since I took off from work and my wife couldn't. Since she gets home after the dinner hour, I had a light dinner with my son and then she brought home a take-out pasta dish from a local Italian place for me. Saturday she took me out for a steak lunch, and then she and her friends took me bowling that night (something I love to do and haven't done in years...I even won!). Sunday we had the cookout at her Dad's and she met her sister's fiancee and saw her half-sister she hasn't seen in about 2 years. So all in all an enjoyable time, and I still got the Roundup out to you guys in a reasonable period. Not bad, eh? :) Anyway, thanks for the compliments and the understanding. Thanks to Dome for his nice post, too. If I wasn't an insomniac, you guys probably wouldn't see all this effort out of me! :wink:

On a related subject: If the "must...have...roundup" thread irritated me a tad, you guys understand why, I hope. I tried telling myself that it's okay to have a fan club, but I'm actually a bit releived that Crawdaddy shut it down. Thanks, Robert. I don't mind you guys asking "where is it?", but maybe just tack it onto the end of the previous week's thread, okay? And bear with me!

Bob, Lane, Justin: You're welcome, as is everyone. Tony & Lane, thanks for the birthday wishes. Getting older isn't so bad, and it's better than the alternative! :eek:

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
David, i wouldnt be suprised if Dave Mack , creates a must have roundup version 2.0 next week ! Just kidding Dave !:D

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Best Buy' discounts for buying more than one season set:

This is a little annoying. I bought SG-1 S2 from them at $45. Now S3 and S4 are $50 each, but $10 off if bouhgt together, bringing them down to the same price I bought S2. Still, if I waited then it would be $25 off all three. Since I am still in Season 2, I am thinking I should just wait until Season 5 comes out and get all three. Any ideas when that is due?

Thanks for all the prices. For some mysterious reason, even though there is a Circuit City in our area, there has been no flyer in our Washington Post for at least a month.

Amazon seems to have pulled off some surprises with the lowest prices on quite a few items.

Neil

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed our local (nortern California) CC has a 2 day (ending today) in store 9.99 sale on over 100 titles. They didnt picture them all but Shrek and Black Hawk Down were among them.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Dave, I see your point too. I hate how ambigious BB is, but I guess it is good business practice. It's a moot point for me as well as I just can't afford to plunk down the money for all 4 seasons right now, as much as I would love too. I have been renting SG-1 from Netflix and have gotten really engrossed in the show.

Chris

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I went to a Circuit City near me, what a joke. Their normal CD setup is a mess maybe 3 aisles for all genres. The $9.99 were in a couple of bins about 3' square. I was there about 2:00 so it was later, but I saw one Blackhawk Down, many 8 Mile and many Catch Me If You Can (all full screen for this title).

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
Thanks a bunch for your roundup dave, as I always look forward to it. Anyone know the best price for Digital Video Essentials?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Don't forget the coupon that was inside the Animal House DVD for the High School Reunion DVDs or box!

Nothing this week for me. The new Disney titles, as much as I want them, came in a little bit higher than I expected. I'll wait a few weeks until I see them at discount at Walmart - with Love Bug it happened really quick. And, I already have the Eastwood titles ordered online. I'd love to get Meaning of Life... but I really don't NEED it!!

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! What a mammoth week of new releases!

David,

Happy Birthday!...here's to wishing you all the best! Thanks for all your hard work, especially with all the titles you had to sift through this week...it's enough t make your head spin.

Stargate SG-1: Season 4
It's funny how the lowest price for each box set has been available from a different vendors each time around. I think I bought Season 1 from Best Buy, Season 2 from Circuit City, and Season 3 from Costco. For Season 4 it looks like Outpost.com has the best price at $38.99.

Outpost also has the following:

Where Eagles Dare- $9.99
Escape to Witch Mountain-$14.99
Return to Witch Mountain-$14.99

Howie

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I feel bad about the "must... have..." thread as I started it but honestly, it was just a joke and I never thought it would snowball the way it did. Then I just thought the things people came up with were creative and INSANE...!

So, once again, sorry if it ever bothered you and we all do tremendously appreciate the fact that you take the time to do this...

:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks