What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9-17-2013 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Mike. Are you not 3D capable yet? $5 more for the 3D version is a steal. Even when I didn't have a 3d set! I always bought the 3D combos as they were always the best bargain. Just curious. :)
I have a 3-D capable display...a 3-D capable Blu player...and I'm pretty sure my receiver passes through 3-D material.

So, I'm all set.

I'm just not interested in having 3-D in my home. I've seen a couple of 3-D films at the theater and it has been impressive. The final Harry Potter film in IMAX 3-D was spectacular. The depth made the image really something to behold. I'm just not interested, though, in dealing with it at home (the glasses, the darkness, etc.)

I've been able to make some major improvements to my HT in the past year or so and am really enjoying things the way they are.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mike Frezon said:
I have a 3-D capable display...a 3-D capable Blu player...and I'm pretty sure my receiver passes through 3-D material.

So, I'm all set.

I'm just not interested in having 3-D in my home. I've seen a couple of 3-D films at the theater and it has been impressive. The final Harry Potter film in IMAX 3-D was spectacular. The depth made the image really something to behold. I'm just not interested, though, in dealing with it at home (the glasses, the darkness, etc.)

I've been able to make some major improvements to my HT in the past year or so and am really enjoying things the way they are.
I'm with you Mike. I'm 3D capable as well...and don't bother. Easily 90% of my movie watching is "no-where near" 3D. And at that...60% isn't even on BD. I'm probably generous on the 60%. Probably closer to 75%.

I watched, this month, only 8 BD. Out of my 40 movies...(which I'm guessing...but 50/month is about right)

8 BD.
6 via streaming(all variations).
5(at least) via HBO/CineMax etc.
The rest on DVD. Of those DVD...maybe 5 could have been via BD.

So if 18 movies were "possible" in HD...

Maybe 4 of them were available in 3D. Not enough of a percentage for me to care.

Since broadcast 3D has all but died, if "streaming" ever gets 3D...maybe I'll change my mind. But even then, that would require me to jump of my self-imposed 720P limit.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mike Frezon said:
I have a 3-D capable display...a 3-D capable Blu player...and I'm pretty sure my receiver passes through 3-D material. So, I'm all set. I'm just not interested in having 3-D in my home. I've seen a couple of 3-D films at the theater and it has been impressive. The final Harry Potter film in IMAX 3-D was spectacular. The depth made the image really something to behold. I'm just not interested, though, in dealing with it at home (the glasses, the darkness, etc.) I've been able to make some major improvements to my HT in the past year or so and am really enjoying things the way they are.
Gotcha. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it right. I love 3D at home despite the drawbacks you mentioned. Different strokes.....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tino: Oh...maybe someday I'll see 3-D in a buddy's home and it'll change my mind.

But, where I am right now...maybe it's a case of "ignorance is bliss." :biggrin:

I'm still thrilled every time I turn on my 55" Panasonic Plasma. I NEVER thought I'd have a display so big or so nice. And then there's my SVS sub I picked up this year. I never thought I'd have one of those. Whenever I run a film that causes that thing to kick in...WOW! I'm one happy camper.

Sam: I haven't tried streaming anything yet. That's something else I'm capable of...but haven't taken advantage of. All of my viewing is BD/DVD or cable.

I missed this season's premiere of Survivor this past week and watched it on cbs.com on my HT via HDMI from my laptop. I cannot guess THAT is anywhere near what I would see if I was streaming off my internet directly to my Blu player or TV...but, my gosh, it was awful. Really bad.

And how can I quantify how bad it was?!? My wife actually disparaged the picture quality!!! She, who never says anything about how good/bad something is. She mentioned it several times! Oh, she'll tell me when something is too loud--that's for sure... :laugh:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike why not watch Survivor on demand from your cable

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
Mike why not watch Survivor on demand from your cable
D'oh! I never gave that a thought! :blush:

What an idiot!

Actually, though, I just checked and Survivor is not available on my Time-Warner "on Demand." At least not yet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ah the infamous TWC. No wonder CBS at least, is missing ondemand content.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Speaking of Survivor...and I'm a HUGE Survivor fan...this latest premiere was the worst. I dunno what it is...maybe the cast...but I was hating it. And the stupid redemption island is back. Ugh. Oh well...sorry for going off topic but just hearing the word " survivor" gets me mad all over again! Looking forward to tonight's roundup tho. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Looking forward to tonight's roundup tho. ;)
Coming soon! :biggrin:

There's another surprise in tonight's RoundUp too!
speechless-smiley-020.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks