What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9-14-10 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
If you're interested in Letters to Juliet, check your Sunday newspaper Parade Magazine section for a $5 off coupon valid on the purchase of the DVD or Blu-ray.

The coupon is really only useful on the DVD version: purchase Letters to Juliet at BB or Target for $12.99 (+ tax) after the coupon. Amazon's price on the Blu-ray negates any savings from the coupon, unless you can find a low 20's price at a B&M like Fry's or your local Wal-Mart.

Here's a scan of the ad / coupon:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about FYE's pricing, but the new Entertainment Weekly (Fall TV Issue) has a coupon for 10% off any TV boxed set, including sale items. Don't have the issue right here to check the expiration date...

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Yes! Starcrash! I've been waiting for that one for-EVER! I cant wait to stop by Scarecrow on the way home and snap that sucker up.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tony J Case

Yes! Starcrash! I've been waiting for that one for-EVER! I cant wait to stop by Scarecrow on the way home and snap that sucker up.

So you're the guy!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Originally Posted by Will_B

Not sure about FYE's pricing, but the new Entertainment Weekly (Fall TV Issue) has a coupon for 10% off any TV boxed set, including sale items. Don't have the issue right here to check the expiration date...

I noticed there didn't seem to be any exclusion for used items, either. Though 10% off is a pittance anyway. I've stopped bothering with Best Buy coupons as 10% off isn't even worth the drive to the store. But FYE does have a few used box sets I was thinking about picking up.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Some local Wal-Mart information:

My local Wal-Mart had each of the individual LOTR movies for exactly $15 each. The caveat I believe is that they are Wal-Mart exclusive editions which only contain the movies on Blu and DVD in a 2 disc combo pack. This means that the extras disc is omitted for this version.

Also there is a Wal-Mart exclusive version of Se7en, for $20, which comes in a standard blu-ray case, and omits the 30-something page booklet, and booklet packaging (even though the sticker remains on the case touting the book.). This may be of interest to some packaging OCD folks who hate how the book packaging stands higher than regular cases (of which I am one ).

Robbie S

Auditioning
Real Name
Robbie S
For the curious: Glee and Big Bang Theory Target exclusives were on both versions.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I ended up going the Amazon route for the Twilight Zone Blu-ray. Besides having the lowest advertised price (as Mike points out above), they also have a nice combo offer when you purchase season one and pre-order season two together. Season two is 43% off ($56.99). So, you can get both seasons for $126.98 ($63.50 each). I think you'd be hard-pressed to find these at a lower price any time in the near future.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
YIKES! I won some Walmart gift cards at our work picnic, so I thought about picking up Glee for practically nothing...until I saw the $44.96 price tag! I hardly EVER shop there, but I seem to recall that they would drop their price to meet or beat the competition (both Best Buy and Target are less than a mile away). I had a 10% off shopping day at Target with my VISA card so I opted for that instead.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think I got a pretty good deal tonight on The Big Bang Theory: Season 3 on Blu-ray.

I went to FYE. The BD was originally marked $54.99(!) but then marked down to $39.99 (in typical FYE fashion. A $15 savings!

The SD DVD version was marked $36.99 in the same store.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Interesting. I still buy alot of CDs through Amazon and will have a hard time giving them up. The kinds of CDs that I buy more of (Movie scores, ambient) have been near-impossible to find in B&M stores for years which is why I gave up trying to find them there and moved to the cheaper, larger libraries of online.

I am wondering if the CD-R on demand will become the option for me, if pre-pressings steadily go away. I picked up the score for SALT that way and the score for seasons 1-5 of Supernatural and have been most pleased with the quality.

Originally Posted by Will_B

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wonder if the DVD categorization includes BDs wrt BB's plan to shrink their music/movie media section. From a business perspective, I would think they'd keep the BD subsection the same (or maybe even grow it in some cases) while reducing CDs and DVDs. That would align w/ their push toward higher margin product -- interestingly, I recently noticed that they started stocking Criterion titles (at least in the NOHO store I normally visit for sales), so that seems like one indication they'll likely not shrink the BD section (though they might replace a small part of it w/ a dedicated Criterion subsection, if those titles actually sell for them).

Anyway, although I don't do music downloads, they generally never sell any CDs I'd want anyway. And I rarely buy a DVD anymore, so it doesn't matter much to me if they shrink the media section as long as that doesn't include the BD section.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

I am wondering if the CD-R on demand will become the option for me, if pre-pressings steadily go away.

I could go for that *IF* they ever do it for classical music and jazz (w/ a solid, thorough selection) in a high quality format, not MP3, et al. Well, I guess I could go for that for some other music that I occasionally buy or listen to too, but there's much less of that to interest me (at least of those recordings that I don't already own).

But ideally, they'd just release more such music on hybrid SACD w/ proper mastering.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks