What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9/14/04 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy…and be happy.
–James Wheaton as OMM (THX-1138 – 1971)

[c]The Weekly RoundUp[/c]
[C]
_____________TITLE___________ _ _Amazon _ BestBuy _ CrcCity _ Target_ _ Costco_
7th Heaven: Season 1_________ _ $45.49 __ $49.99 __ $49.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Angels in America____________ _ $27.99 __ $29.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $25.99 __
Baadasssss!__________________ _ $20.47 __ $19.99 __ $24.97 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Blazing Across the Pecos_____ _ $13.96 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Body Parts___________________ _ $13.04 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Bug__________________________ _ $12.29 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Close Your Eyes______________ _ $21.73 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Demonlover: NR Dir. Cut______ _ $17.49 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Diff’rent Strokes: Season 1__ _ $20.96 __ $24.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Everybody Loves Raymond: S 1_ _ $31.49 __ $29.99 __ $34.99 __ $34.99 __ $29.99 __
GI Joe: Valor vs. Venom______ _ $13.99 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __
Hardcore_____________________ _ $13.96 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Home On The Range____________ _ $20.99 __ $17.99 __ $17.99 __ $19.99 __ $17.99 __
I Married Monster Outer Space _ $13.04 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Lassie: 50th TV Anniv CE_____ _ $26.08 __ $21.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Law & Order: Season 14_______ _ $41.99 __ $43.99 __ $39.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $34.99 __
Law & Order: Crim Intent: S3_ _ $41.99 __ $43.99 __ $39.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $34.99 __
Law & Order: S.V.U. Season 5_ _ $41.99 __ $43.99 __ $39.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $34.99 __
Lost in Space: Season 2______ _ $27.99 __ $29.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Love Comes Softly____________ _ $17.49 __ $22.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Man on Fire (2004)___________ _ $20.99 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $18.59 __
Mi Vida Loca_________________ _ $12.28 __ $_9.99 __ $12.97 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Norma Jean & Marilyn_________ _ $_9.97 __ $_8.99 __ $_9.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Orca the Killer Whale________ _ $13.04 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Sanford & Son: Season 5______ _ $20.96 __ $24.99 __ $21.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Scooby-Doo 2:Monsters Unl'shed_ $19.56 __ $17.99 __ $17.99 __ $16.99 __ $_N/A_ __
Simpsons Gone Wild___________ _ $10.49 __ $_9.99 __ $_9.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Slacker: Criterion Coll._____ _ $27.96 __ $34.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Survivor: All-Stars__________ _ $34.99 __ $37.99 __ $39.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __
THX-1138_____________________ _ $13.97 __ $14.99 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
THX 1138: Dir. Cut SE________ _ $18.89 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Watermelon Man_______________ _ $21.72 __ $22.99 __ $24.97 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Young Adam___________________ _ $17.47 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
[/C]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including (or the ones Dave tells me he's looking for ;o)). In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. So, please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like Dave & I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the standard Roundup: they set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. When it comes to Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Mileage May Vary".

**BE CAREFUL! Scooby-Doo2: Monsters Unleashed is available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one. THX-1138 is available in two different versions...get the one that’s right for you. ;)

--Amazon is still featuring free shipping on orders over $25. Restrictions apply.

--Best Buy is offering an exclusive “Making of…” DVD with the purchase of Man On Fire. Bonus on-pack DVD includes the 15-minute “Making Of” Man On Fire featurette. Maximum 50 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy is also advertising that specially-marked packs of certain NBC series on DVD will be carrying a special DVD including previews of this fall’s NBC lineup. The disc will be featured on select series sets of Smallville, Without a Trace, Everwood, West Wing and Friends. The previews on the DVD will include: West Wing, The O.C., ER, Smallville, Gilmore Girls, Without a Trace, Joey, Center of the Universe, Jonny Zero and dr. vegas.

--Best Buy is also offering a $5 savings on the purchase of Home On the Range ($17.99) and any other Disney DVD.

--And, if you haven’t yet purchased Scooby-Doo 1 ($14.99) and you want to be a completionist in regard to your Scooby-Doo collection when you purchase Scooby-Doo 2 ($17.99) at Best Buy this week, you can get both DVDs in a 2/$25 sale. $15 + $18 = $33. $33 - $25 = $8 savings! (From what I understand, you will never appreciate the plot intricacies of Volume 2 without first having seen the film that “started it all”. j/k BTW. )

--If you are a Scooby-Doo aficionado, you probably already own Scooby-Doo 1. Well HERE is the deal for you. Circuit City is the only place I’ve seen advertising a Scooby-Doo 2 “gift set”. This includes the DVD, the CD soundtrack, and a plush toy—all for the low, low price of $34.99.

--However, if, lets say, you love both Scooby-Doo AND breakfast toaster pastries, maybe THIS is the deal for you. Assuming you own Scooby-Doo 1 already but crave a breakfast sweet, at Target, you can buy Scooby-Doo 2 ($16.99) and get a free box (8 count) of Kellogg’s Pop Tarts. This image only represents the strong marketing symbiosis of a large animated dog and breakfast treat. This (12 count box) is NOT the product being offered by Target in the promotion.

-------------------------

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: September 14, 2004 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

20th Century Fox

Courage Under Fire, The Siege ... $14.98

Buena Vista

10 Things I Hate About You, About Adam, American Gun, Avalon, Beowulf, Buffalo Soldiers, Chump Change, The Cider House Rules, Comic Book: The Movie, Con Air, Crimson Tide, Dead Man, Gerry, Halloween: Resurrection, Hellraiser: Hellseeker, The Heroic Trio, Hope Springs, Jet Lag, Love In The Time Of Money, Motorcycle Gang, The Prophecy, The Prophecy II, The Prophecy 3, Scorcher, Scream 2, Scream 3, Serendipity, Shiner ... $14.99

Ararat, Blue Car, Bringing Down The House, Cinema Paradiso (New Version), Dirty Pretty Things, Dracula II, Duplex, The Lizzie Maguire Movie, The Magdalene Sisters, Mimic 3, My Boss's Daughter, My Boss's Daughter ("R" Rated), Naqoyqatsi, The Osbournes 2 1/2, The Osbournes: The 2nd Season, The Quiet American, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Santa Clause: SE, The Santa Clause 2, Scary Movie 3, Shanghai Knights, The Son's Room, Spy Kids 3D, Time Out ... $19.99

Warner Brothers (HBO, New Line)

Jerry Seinfeld: I'm Telling You For The Last Time, Lightning Jack ... $9.98

Undefeated ... $19.98

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Man on Fire, THX and Simpsons for me

Again, more thanks for all the hard work you put in every week. It is honestly invaluable and I really wouldn't know what to expect on Tuesdays if it wasn't for you. Thanks so much.

Mike

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I would get THX-1138, but because I never seen the movie before, and the fact I get stuck with too many dvds that I later regrat getting...I just probably rent it. Other then that, there is nothing else to get this week. Oh well, I guess it time to get some of the titles I keep forgetting to buy finally (since my PS2 spree is over for now).

Thanks for the round up Mike, and make sure Woody keeps on spinning those fine tune. :P

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$19.99:
Soul Plane
Lion King 2
The Passion of the Christ

$15.99:
The Punisher

$9.99:
Scent of a Woman
Bone Collector
Road to Perdition
Catch Me if You Can
John Q
The Siege
Courage Under Fire
Training Day

----------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$44.99:
Smallville Season 1
Without a Trace Season 1
Everwood Season 1
The West Wing Season 1

-------

Target on sale DVD items:

2 for $20:
Bringing Down the House
Lizzie McGuire

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike.

It's Costco's turn to disappoint me. The same price as Best Buy (which is no longer a bargain) on the two dvds I want, Everybody Loves Raymond and Home on the Range? :frowning: :frowning:

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Only THX 1138: Dir. Cut SE for me.

Thanks Mike.

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
Beware, everyone: as discussed in the software forum, Young Adam does not contain the NC-17 theatrical cut, only an edited R-rated version. However, the altered scene in question is presented on the disc as an "extended scene" extra. Seems Columbia wanted to be able to please both the purists and Blockbuster by taking the scene out of the film but leaving it on the disc. Even so, if it's not the uncut version, I'm not buying.

Tyler Ruggeri

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so you think this was released this way because of blockbuster?

what if the producer of the dvd just wanted it this way?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks Mike! Nothing for me this week. Too many video games sucking up the cash flow :frowning:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Blockbuster has no problem stocking unrated films, so it wasn't done for them.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Just Scooby Deux for me--well, more for my five-year-old niece, who has a birthday next week and who recently told me that it was her "favorite movie of all-time".

She'll learn. :)

Maybe the nice THX-1138 two-discer later in the week, after I see the theatrical re-release in digital down in Dallas on Friday.

Hoo-ah!

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
No THX in the Target ad,will they be carrying this?
price?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Can't wait to see Star Wars in the next Round Up!!!!!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure why this isn't in the ad...Target has been stocking alot of new releases that are never advertised (i.e Columbo, Munsters, I Love Lucy, etc.). It looks like we will be carrying the SE version for $19.99. I believe most stores should have it Tuesday.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Circuit city list's G.I. Joe for $17.99 on the web site but the ad in the paper has it listed for $12.99. It is in very small print under the dvd. Hope that the $12.99 price is correct. Is this disc worth a blind buy? I like the original show but have never seen this newer version.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Probably just THX and Scooby, wouldn't mind Man on Fire, but I think that will be 2/20 down the line....

Dillon*G

Second Unit
What I want and hopefully get for my birthday on Saturday:
7th Heaven:Season 1
Everybody Loves Raymond:Season 1
Man on Fire
Scooby Doo 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks