What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9-10-2013 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Billy Affleck
What about Walmart's deal for Star Trek Into Darkness. They have a Blu-Ray Combo 2-Pack with the 2009 Star Trek for $19.96! It's great for people like me who don't own it on Blu-Ray yet.

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the nitpick Mike - the price link for Frankenstein's Army Blu-ray points to the Friday the 13th set :wacko:

Thanks again for all your hard work on this WRU!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ashly Yeo said:
Sorry for the nitpick Mike - the price link for Frankenstein's Army Blu-ray points to the Friday the 13th set :wacko:

Thanks again for all your hard work on this WRU!
1.) You're welcome.

2.) I don't look at that as a nitpick, but as a help. The way I look at it, what's the point of putting the info out there if it's not right? So, thanks for pointing it out.

3.) Because in this instance, I was able to fix it. I am just savvy enough to replace a wrong URL with a right URL. Just...savvy...enough! :biggrin:

I am now doing the pricing grids in Excel before I load them into the forum via HTML. And since most of these link errors seem to be in titles that are side-by-side in the grid, there must be something going amiss when I delete a row during the construction process. The links must not be properly following the text...or something. I try to avoid having to do such things since I am running into problems. But sometimes I can't avoid them. :blush:

Jimmy M

Second Unit
When Target sold their exclusive version of GI Joe Retaliation, there was a sheet with some coupons in it. One of the coupons is for $2.00 off Star Trek Into Darkness, which I used on the Blu-ray Combo pack, as well as combining it with the Cartwheel discount.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just posted (in the Blu-ray forum) the following adventure of tonight's trip to Target to pick up their exclusive Blu release of Star Trek: Into Darkness:

Mike Frezon said:
Here's my story. I went to my local Target tonight (Cartwheel coupon and Target card in hand) and made a bee-line right to the Movie/Music section in the back of the store. And here's what was on the shelf:

Just the "regular" releases. I was confused at first because each had "Target Exclusive" stickers on them. But, those stickers were for $10 in coupons for upcoming Paramount releases.

I asked the guy in the electronics department if he knew if they had any of the Target exclusive versions of the Star Trek discs that were supposed to have different packaging and bonus content. He said, well, sure. They are on a special cardboard display at the front of the store by the front registers."

And there they were:

Moral of the story. They might not be where they should be. AND...don't get confused by the "Target Exclusive" stickers for those coupons on the regular releases. Look for the white cover with the four colorful images combining to make the star fleet logo.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Target has been placing the new releases up near the registers for awhile now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
Target has been placing the new releases up near the registers for awhile now.
That's fine. But mine had all the rest of this week's new releases (and there was a ton of them) "where they belong" in the media section...just not any of the STID exclusives. Isn't it great that they gave Peeples such a place of prominence on the end cap just below STID? ;)

I'm glad the employee knew to direct me to them...or else I would have walked out empty-handed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
^^ Besides what's listed in the grid, I also saw the Jesus Christ Superstar Tour release at Target (in the media section), Parade's End, Castle: S5...and some others which aren't coming to me.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I picked up the Blu set of The Big bang Theory at Best Buy. I'm planning on holding off on Star Trek despite the fact I really enjoyed the film because I'm so irritated about the extras issue.

And thanks as always for the WRU Mike.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I had the same problem in the past several weeks with another Target exclusive, so now I check both areas-- and it is never consistent. However they threw me another curve this time. On STID you will notice that the 3D and 2D versions look almost identical. Well, my target had them behind each other in the exact same space and if I had not been persistent enough to dig, I would have gone out empty handed also, because the first 4 copies were all 2D and I was looking for the 3D version, some copies of which were behind the 2D versions.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It seems pretty simple to me. Stock well the area that is supposed to have an item of high interest.

AND...if you believe it to be a universally popular item--like candy and tabloids--go ahead and order MORE copies and stick them by the front registers.

In your case, Dennis, whoever set up the front display probably had no idea there was any difference between the 2-D and 3-D exclusive releases. As you noted, they ARE nearly identical...except for the "3-D" in the top banner. Heck, even the regular release Blu STIDs have different covers to distinguish between the 2-D and 3-D copies.

And I admit that I did drool over that 3-D cover of the Enterprise on the regular 3-D release. But not enough to pay nearly $10 more for it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I was going to get Spy Who Came In From The Cold at B&N because they have volume 2 of the "99 Reasons" promo disc with purchase - but it seems that they are not doing the 10% new release discount. I wonder if they don't do it for Blu upgrades since it's not a new title in that sense.

Anyhow, I backed out at the last minute, and I'll wait for next week when I can get that, Slacker and Autumn Sonata and at least do their buy 2 get 1 sale and the promo disc.

First time I've been bummed to have a complete collection, there were no other Criterions I could get to make the sale work! First World Problems...

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
So last week I canceled my Star Trek Into Darkness 3D BR version due to all the exclusive content stuff going on. I don't have a 3D tv yet, but I sometimes get some films with it if the price is right. But no big need or want for those right now. So with Target's price on their regular BR with extra content, plus the CartWheel app discount of 10%, I went ahead and got it. It will have enough extras for me. And I do tend to download and use the Digital Copies from iTunes that come with this release.

FYI... I started downloading last night. The main feature came in at 5.05 GB, and the iTunes extras content is 80.3 MB.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
JeremyLG said:
FYI... I started downloading last night. The main feature came in at 5.05 GB, and the iTunes extras content is 80.3 MB.
If the iTunes extras includes the commentary version of the movie, it is 6.04 GB. Does your download include the enhanced commentary?

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
Steve Tannehill said:
If the iTunes extras includes the commentary version of the movie, it is 6.04 GB. Does your download include the enhanced commentary?
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but mine does have the iTunes extras with the enhanced commentary. Mine came in two downloads the main film and the iTunes Extras as two separate downloads that downloaded simultaneously. I think I got everything that it offered to download... or at least I hope I did.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You might want to doublecheck that, as the enhanced commentary is a larger file than the movie download, not smaller by an order of magnitude.

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
JeremyLG said:
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but mine does have the iTunes extras with the enhanced commentary. Mine came in two downloads the main film and the iTunes Extras as two separate downloads that downloaded simultaneously. I think I got everything that it offered to download... or at least I hope I did.
You might want to doublecheck that, as the enhanced commentary is a larger file than the movie download, not smaller by an order of magnitude.
After the post I just rechecked and I guess the screen did not refresh or something during the download earlier.... you are correct, it is indeed the 6.04 GB on the extras and 5.41 GB on the main feature file.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Moe Dickstein said:
I was going to get Spy Who Came In From The Cold at B&N because they have volume 2 of the "99 Reasons" promo disc with purchase - but it seems that they are not doing the 10% new release discount. I wonder if they don't do it for Blu upgrades since it's not a new title in that sense.

Anyhow, I backed out at the last minute, and I'll wait for next week when I can get that, Slacker and Autumn Sonata and at least do their buy 2 get 1 sale and the promo disc.

First time I've been bummed to have a complete collection, there were no other Criterions I could get to make the sale work! First World Problems...
I didn't even know about those "99 Reasons" promo discs. Don't believe I've ever seen any such thing -- at least not in the stores.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The first one was a Record Store Day promo that independent stores got, and it was also available from Criterion.com with purchase. It came in a tall clear slim case with no insert just the disc, I got a couple of them at Amoeba Music. This one has been given to B&N as an exclusive, this time comes in a CD size black paper case. It's just a compilation of 33 of the 3 reason YouTube videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks