What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8/31/04 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

In fact, I'm thinking of just taking my Comp USA ad to Wal-Mart tomorrow for a price-match.

I just love quoting myself! :D

EricTB

Stunt Coordinator
For me this week just...

The Passion of the Christ (Widescreen)

And I might try to pick up last weeks The Girl Next Door (Unrated). Oh yeah Passion and Girl Next Door now that's a party their. Oh and gonna get Resident Evil: Apocalypse Soundtrack. Can't wait for next week Alias Season 3 YAY!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Scott says, yes!
Mine shipped over the weekend (or Friday, maybe) from DigitalEyes.net, where it is just $20.98 (with free shipping)! That price kicks some serious butt compared to those prices Mike posted for it (even the next lowest online price is almost $5 more). Which isn't surprising since it's, essentially, half-off.

http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=VCI008374

Expensive week for me, with Rocky & Bullwinkle 2, the aforementioned Fractured Flickers, and probably at least one of Videodrome CC and/or Lucy season 2.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Jim-M, all versions of Jurassic Park 2 are elgible for the 3 for $20 deal, including widescreen DTS. If you meant your local Best Buy only carries the fullscreen, then I would maybe order the 3 movies you want from bestbuy.com and arrange for you to pick up the other 2 dvds at your local store leaving you only to only pay for shipping for one dvd, Jurassic Park 2. I would imagine that Jurassic Park 2 in DTS is hard to come by, I really never see it in any stores anymore.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As promised, I went to my local Wal-Mart this morning armed with my CompUSA ad. The electronics dept. manager was just putting his shipment of DVDs onto the shelves as I got there.

He had the ads from competitor stores handy which he was checking (including Best Buy and Target). To his credit, he already had all his DVDs for the week marked down to reflect competitors prices (including Target's 2/$15 deals on catalog issues).

Anyway, The Passion of the Christ was marked $15.87. I asked if he would price match it. He said they already did. When I showed him the CompUSA ad he was actually appreciative and talked with another employee about it being a loss leader for them (CompUSA) and how they would handle it (whether to beat the price and adjust it on the shelves or do it on an "as needed" basis until CompUSA probably runs out).

In the meantime, he gladly adjusted my price. The only other new release prices at my local Wal-Mart...remember your mileage may vary due to regional pricing issues:

Star Trek: TOS Season 1: $96.32
(which I saw one guy already picking up this morning -- at 7:30am!)

Lion King 2: $15.84
(which I picked up this morning along with TPoTC)

Sadly, they did NOT have ANY copies of South Park's The Passion of the Jew. I asked the manager about it and he was not aware of its release date and kept challenging that I could not possibly be right about the release date seeing as how I could not present an ad showing the title as being released today. I admitted I had no proof and left. What's a Weekly RoundUp guy to do? :D Anyway, he was under the impression they would NOT be getting any in....however, South Park Season 3 was prominently displayed in their TV shows on DVD section.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No "Invader Zim," Mr. Frezon? Only $13.99 at Target.

I see they also have Moose & Squirrel V2 for only $24.99.

Perhaps a holiday weekend road trip is in order. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Isn't it enough that I research the prices on these things for you people, Mr. "R"? Do I have to actually buy each release now, too? (Well, okay, I probably would if I could)

I just do and do and do for you people and its never enough!

:D

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
FWIW, if only because I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere in this thread (and please forgive me if I'm wrong here)--Target (or at least my local Target) has TPOTC for $15.99. Also, their copies have "Fullscreen" or "Widescreen" stickers on the front...for those of us who aren't as inclined to look on the back just to make sure.
wink.gif

And here's my two cents worth on the Best Buy ST:TOS/bonus disc pricing--I dunno about some of you folks, but IMHO that bonus disc (if indeed it is included in the BB copies) isn't worth the additional $7 (over CC and Target), let alone an additional $22 (over Costco and Amazon).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Costco has Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2 for $23.99.

And Wal-Mart is obviously convinced that Passion of the Christ will be the biggest selling dvd of all-time. It literally took up half their dvd shelf space. I have never seen so much space devoted to one title. It'll be interesting to see if they're right, or if they end up with a lot of unbought copies.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
quote:Star Trek/TOS: Season 1________ _ $84.49 __$106.99 __ $99.99 __ $99.99 __ $84.99 __

My local costco (Plano), had ST: TOS for $80.54 or somewhere around that. I forget the cents amount.

Great deal.

Matt

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:The previous thread-runner did.

laugh.gif

quote:Target (or at least my local Target) has TPOTC for $15.99.

TonyTone: Thanks! I will include the price in the grid now!

quote:And Wal-Mart is obviously convinced that Passion of the Christ will be the biggest selling dvd of all-time. It literally took up half their dvd shelf space. I have never seen so much space devoted to one title. It'll be interesting to see if they're right, or if they end up with a lot of unbought copies.

Agreed, George. Wonder if there's a chance this title will be relegated to bargain bins real quick? It falls into such a "novelty" category as far as commercial film presentations go. Or, maybe, sales will be great enough to keep prices up in the $15 to $20 range.

In the meantime, I had the rare opportunity to be in a 2nd Wal-Mart today. Over lunch hour I happened to stop in a different Wal-Mart and couldn't resist checking things out. This Wal-Mart had TPoTC marked for $15.86, too. And, they had NO copies of South Park's The Passion of the Jew. A quick check with a blue-smocked employee got the response, "huh"?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Just got back from Costco (King of Prussia, PA) and they have Star Trek for $81.99 and Rocky & Bullwinkle for $23.99.

Dillon*G

Second Unit
I hope my Wal-Mart has Lion King 2 for $15.99.I might pick up TPOTC when it hit's PV racks but not until then.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Matt--close enough
wink.gif
...ST:TOS:S1 is going for $80.49, at least at my local Costco. That'll bring the effective price difference (due to sales tax) between Costco and Amazon almost to the point where it's a wash.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:I might pick up TPOTC when it hit's PV racks but not until then.

I honestly think that's what I probably would have done, except I was sick during most of its theatrical run and have been rather anxious to see it. I've been buying more and more PV'd stuff.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the price for TOS S1 at BB supposed to be less on the first week of release, like $99.00?? I guess I 'll confirm that this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks