What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-29-2006 (1 Viewer)

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Wow, horrible pricing on the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol. 10.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
It's Arrested Development for me, this week. I have been sitting on a BB gift certificate since Father's Day that I will be cashing in on this.

I have noticed that my DVD buying has slowed down considerably in the last couple of years, since I got my first DVD player in 1998. Has anyone else slowed down there purchases as well?

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Marty-

A few exceptions aside (Simpsons box sets or the occaisional new movie not coming to HD), my SD buying has come to a halt over the past year or so. But it has been replaced by HD DVDs. Not to the point where I will pick up anything and everything that comes out on the format, but it is my first choice of looking and purchasing if I feel the need for a new addition to the library.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As I noted at the end of last week's RoundUp, I am conducting an "experiment" of sorts this week (probably more appropriate to say I am trying something new) and pre-ordered a new release from amazon.com.

I figured I wouldn't be able to beat amazon's deal on Surivivor: Palau so I ordered this "gotta have now" title from them. I am hoping they get it to me quickly. It seems I've heard stories about amazon delivering new release stuff right on date-of-release (give or take a day). But their e-mail confirmations to me mention a shipping date of September 3 (for an August 29 release) with expected delivery on September 11-12. As Malcolm noted in last week's RoundUp, September 3 is also the Sunday before the Labor Day holiday.

So, I don't know what to expect. But, I will report back here whatever happens. :crazy:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I didn't notice the Target price up there for Desperate Housewives. It is $35.99 in our local flyer plus a $5 Target gift card.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I guess I might as well also mention that Target also has $5 gift cards available for buying Nip/Tuck S3, Arrested Development S3, Will & Grace S5, and South Park S8.

Neil

BrandonJF

Second Unit

What type of shipping did you select? If you use their free Super Saver shipping, they will quote a delayed shipping time (they will actually ship in-stock product later if the free shipping option is chosen). Any other method should've quoted you a ship date the same as the street date (or earlier), if it were working correctly.

I just tried it out and if I choose standard shipping, it quotes me a ship date of 8/28. If I choose the free shipping, it changes to 9/1.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I took advantage of the free super saver shipping. I guess being a bargain shopper is going to get me on this one. I'll have to convince my Survivor-starved family that getting the best bargain is going to have to be worth waiting the few extra days. Hope they agree! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Big TV week for me:

Arrested Development: Season Three
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume Ten
South Park: Season Eight

EDIT: I forgot that the new Fox Film Noirs come out this week so I'll also be picking up Fourteen Hours, Shock, and Vicki.

Thanks for the prices!

James@R

Second Unit

My purchases haven't really slowed, but I rarely buy current titles anymore. If I recently saw something in the theater, it's just not as interesting to me as an older catalogue title I haven't seen in years.

I make a few exceptions to this, but not many. I mean, I'll probably buy X3 to complete my set, but then, I just picked up the first two back in May!

And now that dvd has become more mainstream, my local stores have also become more selective. Since they need more shelf space for tv shows and current titles, it means fewer copies of things like, say, This Island Earth. This also helps me decide which titles to buy on any given week.

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson

The show is worth buying and watching,i got hooked on it when it used to come on after Alias on TNT in the afternoon,screwed up thing is that i just paid $160 for those 5 seasons 3 weeks ago,wish i knew this sale was coming...

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

And considering that, for instance, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang cost $18 and more when it came out at the beginning of the summer, but is on sale this week for $9.99 at Circuit City, it's really hard to justify buying new releases in the first week. Frankly, no film released in the last twelve months is so good that I can't wait an extra four months to save ten bucks.

The only things I buy on the date of release these days are Warner box sets, and I can usually get good prices on them online.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

They didn't agree. I chickened out tonight and upgraded to standard shipping. Cost another $2.98...bringing it in line with DDD. It will ship today (August 29). I should see it in the next day or so. Otherwise, it was indeed not going to ship until September 3 and they said I probably would not have seen it until the end of next week. So much for "Free Super Shipping". Should have just gone ahead and ordered from DDD.

Still much further ahead than what any retailer is going to have it for.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Possibly nothing, but if I end up getting the BB coupons in the mail, I might end up at the store this weekend with the BF.

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
Big purchase for me:

Desperate Housewives S2
Talespin V1
Darkwing Duck V1
TMNT V5
The Tick S1
Nip/Tuck S3

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks