What's new

Weekly Roundup 8/26 (a VERY big week!) (1 Viewer)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Don't think this has been posted, and not sure if it warrants a new thread. At my local FYE's, ER season 1 is $34.95, plus you get a $5.00 mail in rebate on top of that, bringing the total down to $29.95. This is what I was told over the phone just now. I was on the fence about this since I am short on funds, but for $30, I will bite. Thought some of you might be interested as well.

HTH! :D

Colin-H

Second Unit
hmmm. Got to pass on the Desperado & El Mariachi dvds. I will wait for the 3 pack which will likley drop in Dec/Jan. I don't expect the movie to last long in the theaters. I have learned my lesson on the double dipping a few to many times now. The fact that the movies have been already dropped twice now is just to much of an indicator.
That's probably a good plan, especially considering waiting isn't going to cost you much. I think I'm going to wait, as well.

I think I'll make a trip over to Fry's and pick up Simpson's for $27.99 like Michael Bee said, thanks for the heads up ;) . I'll hold off on buying TTT until the Extended Edition comes out. If I really have to satisfy my LOTR fix, I can always go rent it.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
When i got my copy of animal house today, there was a 5.00 off coupon inside , for the 3 disc brat pack set . It doesnt say anywhere, about individually using the coupon on any of the 3. Any way already have mine, the transfers alone are worth getting all 3 right away.:emoji_thumbsup: :)

Colin-H

Second Unit
Best Buy employee advising customer on which edition of TTT to get: "I think the best way to watch a movie is to watch the fullscreen version on a widescreen TV."

Isn't that the greatest thing you've ever heard?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Anyone having trouble finding Pollhall Junkies? Bestbuy saqys next week, Borders has it in back room ($23.99), Circuit City does not have it. Hollywood video has it on the shelve for rent. I bought it at Costco for $17.99 but the reciept says (no sell 8/26).

I managed to buy it but man what a trip it was to find. Was there a date change for this title?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
poolhalljunkies shows a 9-16 street on our blockbuster database.

Derek_C

Agent
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I've been out of the DVD sceen for a while. But will there be a 4 or 5 disc set of LOTR:TTT? And if so, anyone have a release date? Thanks!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy employee advising customer on which edition of TTT to get: "I think the best way to watch a movie is to watch the fullscreen version on a widescreen TV."

Isn't that the greatest thing you've ever heard?
:eek: Good god, Colin, I hope you stepped in there and straightened out the poor buyer!

Oddly enough, when I bought mine today the guy beside me was looking perplexed and then just asked me if I knew the difference between fullscreen and widescreen. I gave him the short and sweet definition (if not wholly accurate since TTT is Super35 but I got the point across). I said "widescreen is how it was shown in the theaters and will have black on a normal TV set, fullscreen is where they chop off parts of the picture to fit it onto a TV screen."

He said thanks and picked up the widescreen version. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Poolhall Junkies was out for sale at both Costco and Wal-Mart.

Cher fans, go to K-Mart and get the Cher: The Farewell Tour DVD! $14.99 everyday, it is on sale for just ***$11.99*** this week! It's even advertised in their ad! :emoji_thumbsup: Mine! Mine! Mine!

Doug, george: Yep, Costco took me for an extra $1 on Simpsons as well. Weird, because as mentioned they are often lower in-store than online, not higher. Ah, well...I made up for it with other items cheaper at Costco than expected. I got:
$17.29 Stitch The Movie
$11.99 Blue's Clues: Blue Takes You To School
$11.99 Dora the Explorer: Rhymes & Riddles
$32.99 Simpsons Season 3
$18.76 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
-$5.00 coupon for savings on LotR: TTT (from Boogie Nights purchase)

I also nabbed ER Season 1 at Wal-Mart for $37.98, and the lady at Wal-Mart maybe thought that the copy of The Storyteller I was buying was actually TTT, because she adjusted the $19.xx price down to $14.20...sweet, because I didn't think it was worth $20, but HAD to get it for the missus.

Plus Cher for $11.99, plus an early find of Dark Shadows Collection 7 for $52.99. That is bringing my total for "today" to $205.18 plus tax! :eek:

Next week is absolutely gonna murder me...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
amazingly, many people came into my blockbuster and paid 22.99 + tax for twin towers today.
but one of them asked for the full frame version.

i informed him that the sides are removed, and the pic is blown up so it fits on the screen. he said, "there probably isn't anything important on the corners anyway."

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

strange enough that he came in there to buy it and not at best buy or CC were it was almost $10 cheaper.

also i saw the jim henson storyteller at local wal-mart, it didnt have a price on it tho'.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Well for those of you with an FYE store here is a heads up:

As mentioned before they have ER Season 1 for $34.99. I can confirm this as I bought 2 today (one for me one for my sister).

Here is the cool part -- They are running a special right now where if you spend $50 or more than they give a ticket to go to the movies. It's value is up to $12 and good at any movie or showtime. SO basically you can save quite bit with this deal. Not sure if its regional or not but I liked the deal!!

Also if you purchase ANY DVD from them right now you can get Meatballs (Bill Murray flick) for $6.99.

Good Deals if you ask me.

Good Luck!!

Greg

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Best Buy had Fellowship EEs sitting on top of the TTT display. I saw a girl look at both and grab the Fellowship EE. I went up to her to make sure she knew what film she was getting. She thanked me for correcting her. I wonder how many other people made that mistake?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Good deal, but Best Buy claims the version they're selling has an additional three tracks on it. So do you want cheap or the longest performance?

Hmmmmm...just TTT and Cher for me this week. I thought this was supposed to be an expensive week? :D

GregBoehme

Agent

I too attempted to help a guy out who seemed perplexed on which version, however he had a widescreen tv and had a small clue about the difference between widescreen and full screen. But apparently his wife accidently picked up a full screen version of another movie recently and for some reason they preferred the way it looked. (??????!!!!) He mentioned he hated the 'panorama' look of some movies, I tried to acertain whether he had gotten an old non-anomorphic version of a movie and thus ended up with double black bars... I tried to persuade him that TTT was the version he wanted for his 16:9 tv (although he would have small black bars due to the aspect ratio) But he had a little knowledge and pointed out that the widescreen version said it was presented in a 'Letterbox' format (which he assumed would give him too much black bars) I agreed that that was a poor choice of wording to use and pointed out it also said "enhanced for widescreen tv's" and that's the critical information. Eventually he said thanks and put down the fullscreen and picked up a widescreen, but I wonder if he changed his mind again after I left as he didn't seem fully convinced. I also wonder if he had a setup issue with his equipment as he was fairly adamant about how good the fullscreen version of the other movie looked on his tv (with no distortion).

Another guy asked the Best Buy employee if there was going to be another version of the TTT in the "Fold out book like last year" to which the BB employee started telling him 'No one know's what will be released in the future. They might do that but we won't know until they send information and distribute...." to which I interupted and told the guy that there was definatly going to be an EE edition and it's been common knowledge for sometime and it would be out in November.... during which time the BB guy finished telling him that no one knew and wandered off to 'help' someone else (don't think he heard a thing I said) The customer seemed amazed I knew this info and asked where he could get it, rambled off this and a couple of other sites but think lordoftherings.net stuck in his mind as all he had to rememeber is the .net part...

So I tried my good deeds for the day... hopefully was successful.

Greg

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
re: Cher
Good deal, but Best Buy claims the version they're selling has an additional three tracks on it. So do you want cheap or the longest performance?
I didn't see Cher in-stock at my local BB, so I couldn't validate this thing. But EVERY copy of Cher: The Farewell Tour has at the top of the Bonus Features listed on the back: "3 EXTRA HIT SONGS", which are:
  • Save Up All Your Tears
  • We All Sleep Alone
  • A Different Kind Of Love Song

BB's website give NO details about the "exclusive to BB tracks" mentioned, and without the item in-store I have no way of knowing if their tracks are either different from or in addition to the 3 I could get on any copy, anywhere.

Do YOU know Malcolm? $17.99 at BB vs $11.99 at KM adds up to $2 per extra track...is it worth it even if true?

ReaganG

Agent
About the Best Buy Reward Zone Weekend bonus points Offer:
Apparently, you could go in there every day and make a purchase for over $25 and get $50 worth of bonus points. Over the five days of the sale, you could rack up 25,000 Reward Zone points which is enough to refund the price of the card. On top of that, the $125 worth of stuff you bought otherwise adds up to another $5 gift card. So if you have a big purchase planned for this week, you might want to consider springing for the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks