What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8/17/04 (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is Costco going bad? No Widescreen copies of Taking Lives or Ella Enchanted as far as I could see.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Some new stuff at Target:

Duel $14.99
Nick and Jessica Variety Hour (or whatever the hell it's called) $12.99

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I had a tough time finding an individual copy of Mean Streets here in Vegas. Neither Best Buy or Target were carrying it individulally according to the employees. The only single copies of any of the Scorcese set was Goodfellas. I finally found one copy of Mean Streets at a Circuit City, and it was not with new releases. It was mixed in with the dramas, behind Master and Commander.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm shocked to see people who get Goodfellas aren't jumping at that box set. The set costs basically twice what Goodfellas does at Amazon which gives you 5 for the price of 2. I'm jumping at this box set!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well if I was interested in even one of the other films, I would buy the box set. But I love Goodfellas and have no desire to ever rewatch Mean Streets, After Hours or Alice. I haven't seen Who's Knocking at my Door, but from what I've read, it's not worth a blind purchase. Goodfellas is just light years better than the other films in this box (IMO).

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
After Hours, Mean Streets, and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore are all superb movies. Not just "good" but "superb"!

No, that's not my opinion. It is FACT!

;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some random notes from my local Target and Wal-Mart tonight:

Wal-Mart prices: (keep in mind W-M exercises regional pricing patters. YMMV.)

Disney's 3 Musketeers - $15.86
Godsend - $15.72
Taking Lives (Full Screen "R" only) - $15.87
Goodfellas - $19.72 :frowning:
Duel - $14.66
Connie & Carla - $19.96
New York Minute - $19.87

And, at Target, something I've never seen before (which doesn't mean they haven't been around for awhile). They had a number of pilot episodes of certain TV shows at a cheap price...to entice customers to buy their first seasons. They are:

Gilligan Island - 1st two episodes
Kung Fu - Pilot
Babylon 5 - The Gathering - Pilot
Gilmore Girls - Pilot
The Jetsons - A classic episode
Flintstones - pilot
Jonny Quest - Two classic episodes
The Waltons - 1st episode

The above are all $3.99. They come in cardboard sleeves and have attached coupons for $5 by mail when you buy the complete first season of that respective series. Offer expires December 31, 2004.

Erin Chilcoat

Auditioning
Is Target or Wal Mart carrying the Scorsese box set or just Goodfellas? also price (I know Wal Mart is regional but just to get an idea.) Thanks!!:)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I don't know what other experiences are across the country but my Circuit City only had 1 copy of the advertised "Duel" and it was hidden behind some other titles. It seems like the store only received 1 copy... When I asked about this, the sales guy sheepishly said this was not the first time this had happened. At $12.99 I was happy to grap the one and only copy but feel sad for those making the trip based on what apparently is another Circuit City 'bait and switch' tactic.

As far as the Scorcese Box set, I agree with those that realized that at $8.40/title the 5 title box of classics is a great buy at Amazon.

Joel

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

Rob, I saw your smiley, but still, I can't let this go without a comment :)

Superb must be a new euphemism for boring. No, that's not my opinion. It is FACT! :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I was all set to buy Goodfellas and After Hours, which would have cost me about 34 bucks combined. Then I realized the Scorsese set was only fifty, so I bought that and will eBay the Who's That Knocking and Alice Doesn't DVDs. Both fine films, but not ones I need to have in my collection. And I get keep Mean Streets for being so smart.

I'll get at least 10 bucks apiece for those 2 DVDs, so this way I basically get Mean Streets for free.

But damn is this a great package. Commentaries and featurettes for each movie! :emoji_thumbsup: :star::star::star::star::star: :emoji_thumbsup:

So maybe for Scorsese Vol. 2...

Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
The King of Comedy
The Last Temptation of Christ
Cape Fear

That'd be a 5-for-5 keeper set!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I thought I did that a long time ago when I first told you my opinion about LOA. :)

Seriously, my only point is that the only FACT here is that you find the films to be superb, not that they actually are in any objective sense.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

Well, I thought it was obvious that I said that in jest. The little "winky" should have made it even more so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks