What's new

Weekly Roundup 8/13 (1 Viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
Dont forget about Elisabeth Shue in Cocktail. She was looking particulary nice in that movie.:)

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Man, I thought I was going to have this week off. Didn't even know about Dr. Seuss coming this Tuesday. Green Eggs & Ham is my 3 year old's favorite book and will be a must-have DVD.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Primo roundup during an admittedly lame week, Mr. L.
I'd offer a tentative recommendation on Birthday Girl, a movie I enjoyed a whole lot more than I expected to.
Thanks for reminding me A) that Can't Buy Me Love is out this week and B) why I most likely won't be buying it...ever. :frowning: (Related note: With his small-yet-entertaining turn in Scream 3 and a promising-looking supporting role in the upcoming Reese Witherspoon flick Sweet Home Alabama, it looks like the legendary Patrick Dempsey may be enjoying a nice career resurgence.) :)
Like many of you chaps, I welcome a week in which my PayPal account gets a siesta. (OK, I might buy Stakeout. I'm a big fan of banter well-performed.)
Oooooh.... I just this minute saw the Near Dark special at Best Buy. :) Guess I found a use for my LOTR coupon!
As always, love the Weekly Roundup.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
For sure, there were some booths that had bootlegs. I was very careful to examine what I was buying. After watching 'In the Bedroom' last night, I can tell you that it wasn't a bootleg.

The guy running the booth told me about his upcoming titles as well. I think what I found is a proprietor of a Mom & Pop store who uses the MASSIVE foot traffic of this open market to supplement the store.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
For some reason, I thought Iris was being released this week, but it's actually next. The Seuss titles make it on my wishlist, but I'm not in a hurry to get them. Thanks for saving me a trip to Best Buy :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If Birthday Girl was cheaper, I'd buy it. I think I'll just hold off until it shows up in the used bins/sales.

Otherwise, a good week to save up for next week.

And folks, let's leave the discussion of bootlegs (and where to buy them) off this thread.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I do wonder if Costco will end up having Beaches and Big Business. I've not heard good things about the Beaches transfer, but I've been waiting for these films.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
With all the talk of lovely ladies on DVD this week, we're missing a big one! Paula Garces almost makes Clockstoppers worth owning (and at least makes it worth renting).
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

-Lyle J.P.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually I think what you found at the flea market is someone who buys discs that "accidently" fall off the back of the truck

$15 is slightly under cost for In The Bedroom

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Yeah, I thought it was cheap. It was marked $16 & he said 'yours for $15, it's my last one for today'. Another table had it for $18, which I was considering as I hadn't seen it much cheaper in the roundup and, of course, flea market tables mean no sales tax.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It was $15.97 at my Wal-Mart yesterday, but I was told it was about to be taken down later in the day, since Best Buy's sale was over. That's why I didn't bother to mention it here.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thank goodness for Best Buy! (Now there's a sentiment you don't hear everyday.) $19.79 at my Wal-Mart since day of release.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty soon I think Wal-Mart may be the place to buy DVD's as far as price wise, they already have a system in place that auomatically checks all the competitors prices on new released CD's, where Wal-Mart will have the lowest price on the CD's, good for stuff that you want that doesn't need to be edited. I'm sure this system will soon be in affect for the DVD's as well, Lord Of The Rings here was like 15.86 or something to beat Circuit City's price of 15.99, and there was a company letter that encouraged the deparment managers to check the local prices and beat it, so if the DVD at your Wal-Mart wasn't lower then the local stores then someone wasn't doing there job. Anyway, way off topic just a little incite.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Phooey. Not one of the three Best Buys in San Antonio has the Dr. Seuss DVDs.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Around here, the Wal-Marts with major competition nearby (Target, Best Buy, etc.) are really good about making sure their prices are marked down below those of the lowest competitors. The ones that have no competition nearby not only don't mark their prices down, but then are very difficult about allowing you to price match. The one that's the worst of the bunch is the one where I always insist on doing my price matching. They often refuse to price match, even on relatively small discounts. And if it's a store they don't regularly see ads from (like CompUSA), they generally refuse, stating that there are none within driving disantce, so they're not considered competition (the local CompUSA is about 10 minutes from this Wal-Mart). They once tried to prevent me from price matching because the specific UPC codes weren't listed in the ad. Oddly enough, the codes were listed, defeating the point of their argument.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The 'family' must be increasing the 'off the truck' tariff, because flea market DVDs were about $10 or $11 here a year or so ago, now they are $18!

Or maybe they aren't really 'off the truck' any more.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Phooey. Not one of the three Best Buys in San Antonio has the Dr. Seuss DVDs.
Just checked Borders and reserved them online. Same price as Best Buy. I've never done the reserve thing before. Pretty cool.

BTW, Dave, would you consider adding an MSRP column to your roundup?

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Pretty soon I think Wal-Mart may be the place to buy DVD's as far as price wise...
You got that right! Heck, I was browsing through Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and lo and behold, saw the Die Hard trilogy box set for $49.99. Now, that may not have been the lowest price the Die Hard set has been offered at, but considering that the Best Buy across the freeway was selling it at $69.99 and the Borders store nearby had it at $70-something, either Wal-Mart priced it for quick sale or Best Buy and Borders must be smoking something...and to think I almost pulled the trigger in buying the set at BB! Someone must have been sitting on my shoulder that day...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks