Weekly RoundUp 7-3-2012 (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/321923/weekly-roundup-7-3-2012#post_3944198
I'm not kidding, Eric. I said I would NOT be rebuilding my collection with Blu-ray versions of DVDs I already owned. But...

Honestly, the deals are just WAY too good. There are so many deals...all the time. It's crazy, I tells ya. Crazy.
I said that, then I started going whole hog on upgrading, now I am pulling back and starting to be a bit more selective when it comes to catalog. I did just order Singing in the Rain and Barbarella though.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
I said that, then I started going whole hog on upgrading, now I am pulling back and starting to be a bit more selective when it comes to catalog. I did just order Singing in the Rain and Barbarella though.
Singin' In the Rain has been in my Amazon cart now for weeks. Again, it is the price that is making it hard to keep from pulling the trigger...but I, too, am trying to exercise some restraint.

It's hard.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was just kidding, Mike, I remember that you liked Enchanted.
However, you are quite insane regarding the classics Princess & the Frog and Lilo & Stitch. :D

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
As I feared Best Buy & Wal Mart didn't even stock Treasure Planet or Home on the Range. Only Target got them in and they are $19.99 each. I have to agree with Mike that they are definitely not the best of the Disney animated classics (but think he's insane not to like Lilo & Stitch or Princess & The Frog).:D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've certainly been called worse!

Yup. My dislike of Lilo and Stitch seems to be the most "controversial" of my opinions on the animated Disney films. It always provokes a strong reaction.

Even last year's Winnie-the -Pooh movie was dull.

This might be fun...but considering its been 12 years since I really enjoyed anything from the Disney Studios (animation-wise)...I dunno:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
What everyone is saying about the manic upgrading to BLU applies to me in spades. I never dreamed I'd be doing anything like this when I got my first BD player just 3-1/2 years ago. I'd almost be afraid to look, but I'm thinking the double-dip upgrades are running neck and neck with the new stuff these days. Might even be worse than that

I, too, am trying to exercise more restraint. The rest of this year is already insane. And it's not that I won't want the things I'm putting off for a bit -- I just need to slow the #$!% down.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My budget policy with BD double-dips is to pay no more than $10. That has slowed things down for me reasonably well...

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Just checked & BesBuy.com & WalMart.com don't even have Treasure Planet or Home on the Range available for in store pickup. You have to get them shipped. They don't even carry them in their B&M's. Unbelieveable. So glad for Target on these releases. Could've ordered them from Amazon or Disney Movie Club but would've missed out on the first week double DMR points (don't have Prime).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Add me to the list Eric, but Mike, I did think The Princess and the Frog was a step back in the right direction.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jason_V said:
Why would you toss the BD?  It takes no additional room on the shelf.  Why not keep it in case you do get BD in the future?
Less space as they are shorter then a DVD case.
Jason_V said:
I have Home on the Range and Treasure Planet on pre-order from Amazon.  Not a penny difference in the pre-order price to the price today.  Oh well.  :D
Thanks Mike!
Actually if you ordered them months ago you did get a price drop to 19.86 for both and even less for one of them that I had in my gold box for another dollar off that one.
sidburyjr said:
OK, I don't understand. Perhaps someone can explain it to me. Amazon has Born on the Fourth of July for 13.48 in DVD. But they also have the Blu-ray for 9.99 which includes a DVD (and a digital copy). So for those who don't have blu-ray but want the movie, should buy the Blu, save 3.49 and toss the Blu disk??
Clearly, I don't understand marketing.
The price drop to 9.99 on the blu at Amazon is a price match to best buy I guess they didn't price match the DVD.
Also i really like Treasure Planet, it's a fun movie. And. Home on the Range is silly but has plenty of laughs for me.
Lilo and Stich at the time was the last Disney to be hand drawn and looks beautiful also very funny.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Adam, I looked around and didn't see the contest for Barbarella, is it around somewhere?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So there I was researching the next Weekly RoundUp earlier today when I realized that I didn't get a single comment this week about my pictures of Scarlett leading off this week's "The Features" section.

How disappointing.

She was just 13 or 14 when The Horse Whisperer was shot. I had even forgotten she was in it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
^ Is this one for sale anywhere in Brick & Mortar? Best Buy, Target and Walmart all seem to list The Horse Whisperer as online only. Hate to make the drive to one of the malls if it's not going to be in stock anyway.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ended up finding it at FYE, at the $19.95 price. It's a blind buy, so I'm hoping it falls into the pile of Redford movies I like and not the pile of Redford movies that do nothing for me. Robert Harris's review pushed me over the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks