What's new

Weekly RoundUp 6-3-2014 (1 Viewer)

Sigwolf

Agent
Real Name
Dave
Malcolm R said:
I'm still seeing $39.96 for True Blood at Amazon (matches Best Buy, but Target is still lower). If they come down to match Target, I'll make my purchase.

Interesting that Amazon has the blu ray listed, but is still not offering the DVD version.
Additionally, Target is still showing the blu ray as a pre-order with a release date of 6-10, and says it's not available in stores.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Yeah, I found that out the hard way. I tried to buy the True Blood Blu-ray this morning and they said it wasn't available until June 10. Even though I knew it was futile since they can't override the computer, I pointed out how it was in this week's ad and absolutely had a release date of today but they said the best they could do was take down my phone number and have the electronics department contact someone at corporate about the date and when it was worked out, they could sell it to me. Since that'll probably take until after June 10, I just drove a mile to Best buy and had them price match the Target ad. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
^ Yeah, I found that out the hard way. I tried to buy the True Blood Blu-ray this morning and they said it wasn't available until June 10. Even though I knew it was futile since they can't override the computer, I pointed out how it was in this week's ad and absolutely had a release date of today but they said the best they could do was take down my phone number and have the electronics department contact someone at corporate about the date and when it was worked out, they could sell it to me. Since that'll probably take until after June 10, I just drove a mile to Best buy and had them price match the Target ad. :)
:laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OK, today Amazon does have True Blood DVD for $27.99, and has apparently split the difference on the match between Best Buy and Target, listing the blu at $37.78.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
found out about the target date lock the hard way, but it worked to my benefit, the guy trying to check me out called distribution who gave him the run around, and had him call some one else, even though its stocked on the shelf, so after 20 minuets of this back and forth he just keyed in a price to match the add, pulled out another $3.00 off coupon, so that after taxes I paid less than what was in the flyer

be warned in the flyer in really small print, under this tue releases, it stated that dates are subject to change, guess that is what is happening at target

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What may be happening with Amazon and Warners is that Warner is tired of Amazon occasionally jumping the street date on their titles, and thus the inability to order until the actual day of release. Studios get very testy when customers get titles before they are supposed to.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Todd Erwin said:
What may be happening with Amazon and Warners is that Warner is tired of Amazon occasionally jumping the street date on their titles, and thus the inability to order until the actual day of release. Studios get very testy when customers get titles before they are supposed to.

More directly from Bill Hunt;s latest My 2 Cents column

"Not done yet... some of you have been asking why your Amazon.com pre-orders for select Warner Bros, Paramount catalog, Viz Media (and other Warner-distributed) titles have been suspended. We’ve learned through industry sources that Warner Home Video and Amazon.com are in the middle of negotiations on a new contract, so pre-orders on Warner titles have been suspended until a deal is reached. Hopefully, the situation will be resolved soon."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not a surprise, since Amazon's been pulling exactly the same tactics with Hachette Book Group for a while now.It seems like a very shortsighted policy on Amazon's part, because the short-term competitive advantage would be gained at the expense of the long-term financial health of the supplier.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Seems shortsighted for everyone, honestly.

Shortsighted for Amazon since they're going to lose some amount of pre-orders and orders, not to mention the extras that people add on to get free shipping. And then Warner is losing one of the largest retailers for their product. Sure, it will be available on the site in the long run, but not when it may be top of mind for some consumers (ie. when it's announced).

Should I even mention how terrible Best Buy is this week? I planned on walking over at lunch on Friday to grab Superman, Batman and The Birdcage. The store I would walk do doesn't have stock of any of them. So chances are I'll be driving to a store (*sigh*) this weekend instead of getting a 2 mile-ish walk.

Yeah, I know...I'm just complaining to complain now...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
Should I even mention how terrible Best Buy is this week? I planned on walking over at lunch on Friday to grab Superman, Batman and The Birdcage.
I saw The Birdcage at the Target in my area yesterday. I didn't notice the price but since I don't see that many catalog titles at Target, it caught my eye.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I might stop in there, Travis, if I can't find it at the non-walkable Best Buy. But, ya know, it's the principle of the thing with me. I take great pains to get 11,000 steps a day and walking to and from BB at lunch will get me about 4k. I can't walk to any Target in the area. I was hoping for the nice stroll for the steps and to get the discs. Sure, I can still do the walk and come back to work empty handed.

Then I just look like a dork.

I know...I'm not making any sense. That look you're giving your computer reading this is the same one the BF gives me most/all the time. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
confused_man1.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jason_V said:
Sure, I can still do the walk and come back to work empty handed.

Then I just look like a dork.
People go for walks all the time without returning with an armload of stuff. :huh:

Amazon finally matched Target's price on True Blood, so I ordered it from there.

As noted in the Big Lots thread (for those who may not check there), they current have a selection of TV on DVD sets for $8 each (or 2 for $14, must buy in pairs; quantities limited). Titles include:

Chuck seasons 1-5Friends seasons 1-10Fringe seasons 1-5Gilmore Girls seasons 1-7Gossip Girl seasons 1-5Nip/Tuck seasons 1-6The O.C. seasons 1-4One Tree Hill seasons 1-6Southland seasons 1-5Two and a Half Men seasons 1-10

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Malcolm R said:
People go for walks all the time without returning with an armload of stuff. :huh:
I could...but what's the point of going into a store and not buying anything? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks