What's new

Weekly Roundup 6/17 (worst Roundup ever!) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, bless my blonde heart!

[c] [/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo_
The Dead Zone: Season 1___$37.49__$39.99__$39.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Deliver Us From Eva - WS__$20.24__$19.99__$15.99__$19.99__$18.29
Gods & Monsters___________$11.24__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Inc. Hulk (Animated)______$14.99__$14.99__$14.99__$14.99__$13.99
Just Married______________$20.99__$15.99__$15.99__$14.99__$17.49
Narc - Widescreen_________$22.49__$17.99__$19.99__$15.99__$_N/A_
Queen: Live/Wembley Stad._$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Stargate SG-1: Season 3___$52.47__$49.99__$69.96__$_N/A___$39.99
Strangers With Candy S1___$22.49__$24.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Topper/Topper Returns_____$14.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Walking With Cavemen______$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]

* BE CAREFUL! Deliver Us From Eva and Narc are both available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* "Where is the Sam's Club listing this week?" Good question. Answer: Their website listed 0% of the titles for this week, so I just left off the blank column. What's up with THAT? :eek:

* Best Buy will sell you Just Married and Dude, Where's My Car? together for $25.

* Buy Stargate SG-1 - Season 3 at the same time as either S1 OR S2, and they will take $20 off the total. Buy all three and save $40 instantly. Each sells for $49.99, so you do the math.

* Costco members: Be aware that Happy Gilmore is being stocked in yellow cardboard packaging that states on the front top that it is "Widescreen". This title has NEVER been available any way except full frame, and you can flip over to the back and look down and verify that this is the same old non-OAR release. I reported this to the manager on duty, and wrote in to Costco HQ. I assume that Sam's Club and BJ's and any other stores that use the "long" packaging also have this error. Don't be fooled! Universal messed up when they packaged this for the discount club stores.

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
None!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Not so bad, Stargate Season 3 is very nice. I think I'll pick up season 2 as a present for Mom while I'm at it.

Wish there were better pricing on Strangers with Candy though. At least I hope it will be readily available, a suprise for my baby.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I've seen worse (weeks when I bought nothing). This week I'll be getting Topper, a great flick!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Well, since i already got the incredible hulk cartoon dvd, nothing else this week that interests me. Thanks anyway David, for the roundup. That was probably the smallest roundup ever and the worst combined, as you said.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Tony What Exactly is on that Hulk Animated disk? Are there any eps of the old 1960's Marvel SuperHero Series I loved those as a Kid.

I'll Be picking up Dead Zone from DDD

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This week I'll be getting Topper, a great flick!
Please post in software after you view it. Since it's from Artisan, I'm expecting a DNR'd transfer that's over-compressed to fit on one disc. If some user reviews are positive, then I'll be happy to pick it up.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Dave, in reply to your question, check out my thoughts on the hulk cartoon dvd , in home theatre forum software board , in the Mr. mcgee thread. ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is Gods & Monsters just a re-pricing? From the BB website, there doesn't seem to be any differences between this release and the prior release.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Yay, I finally get to save money! Nothing for me this week.
I keep saying I need to cut down on my DVD buying but it never happens:D

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
DARN IT!!!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that the Simpson's Season 3 box was getting released early!

:b :laugh:

-Lyle J.P.

Wow, finally a slow week, and possibly next week too. I am considering "The Hours" next week though.

I tend to pickup mark downs from my "want" list during these dry times. And I will be picking up:

Queen Live at Wembley

July 1 starts to lighten my wallet with Something about Mary CE (replace existing), Limelight, Modern Times, The Great Dictator, The Gold Rush (replacement).

The rest of July and August are light with Remo Williams, Final Destination 2, Daredevil, Duel, Casablanca, NL Vacation 20th Anniv., The Commitments (rerelease), Animal House DSPE.

September, the binge begins. Rereleases of Psycho, Vertigo, Birds, Rear Window. Apple Dumpling Gang, MP Meanin of Life SE, Identity, Family Guy 2, Scarface 20th Anniv. (hopefully), Sleeping Beauty, Fargo SE (replacement).

ShawnMy DVDs

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
by any chance was the queen live at wembley dvd listed in the circular for best buy and/or circuit city ? if not it may be a tuff find in store on tuesday i dunno.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
David,

It may be the WORST round-up in a long time, but it's put together by one of the BEST members on this forum.

Thanks for the round-up this and every week.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Aw, thanks Page.

Maybe instead of "worst" I should have said "shortest". Wow, I knew it was gonna be quick to get together...probably that's why I procrastinated all day. Besides, my family was taking care of me on Father's Day and I was loving it. :D

My thoughts exactly, right up until I went to the Lions Gate website (LionsGateFilms.com) and looked it up, and it treated it like a brand-new release. I never saw the old one, so I don't know what cover art differences may be there or whatever.

[rant]Jumping on the Soapbox here:[/rant]
-----
It's getting harder and harder for me to go through listings of "new releases" and pick out the markdowns from that list. If sites that list weekly releases insist on piling in the markdowns with the brand-new stuff, as 100% of them seem to do lately, and other sites like VideoTropic and DavisDVD don't separately list them so I can pick them out, and the press sites I have access to don't separate them either, then I don't have a clue unless my personal experience tells me what the deal is.

More and more in the Roundup you will probably see things that I list in the new titles, even though YOU know it's not new, but a repricing. It's very fustrating for me, because I *really* don't want to do that. But even with all my extensive collection, I don't own everything there is and I can't remember what has and hasn't been out before, and whether somethings a new version or not. And the Roundup already takes too much time each week to research, so I can't go thread-searching on HTF for every questionable title.

So I'm more likely in the future just to give up all research on that, lump it in with the new releases, and take the heat from you guys later. Cest Le Vie (sic?).

:deep breath: Okay, I'm done with my rant. Thanks for the support, even on the slow weeks. Oh, Aryn: No Queen was not in either circular, but Circuit City is usually very good about having at least 1-2 copies of new music DVDs on street date. Topper fans, look for street date breakers on that one. I almost took it home yesterday, but I decided it was best to wait. Ahem.

Dead Zone fans: Gord Lacey (owner of TVShowsOnDVD) was already about to post his review - calling it one of the best season sets of the year - when he discovered that commentary tracks exist for all episodes (mentioned on the back of the box as shown at DVDEmpire, we found out afterward, but not mentioned by Lions Gate prior to that!) So Gord's checking those out and will post his review soon. But he's VERY high on this release. It was a maybe for me; now it's for-sure. :emoji_thumbsup:

Geez...even on the slow weeks I break 3 digits on my wants. Well, DZ and SG-1 put me at $80 right away, and it's 2 releases from there (Hulk & Queen) to break $100! :frowning:

James St

Supporting Actor
Finally, a bye week for the wallet. Next week doesn't look too spectacular either at least not for me. I guess it's time to go back and pick some stragglers I missed out on in the past.

Does Best Buy still have those 5 for $30, 2 for $20,etc deals still going on?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy:

2 for $20
The Rock (non-CC)
Enemy of the State
Face/Off
Gone in 60 Seconds (new)
Heat
The Professional (not Leon)

2 for $25
Just Married
Dude Where's My Car

----

Pretty lean week.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Other than new cover art, this new Lion's Gate Gods & Monsters release is the same as the previous Universal SE. Great film, and worth picking up for those who don't have the older version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.