What's new

Weekly Roundup 6/10 (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Buffy Season 4 Deal!

I was all ready to pick up Buffy Season 4 at Costco, but I thought I'd drop by the Sam's Club since I had a gift card... Well, I was surprised that the Sam's price was not what was listed here, but $39.87, beating Costco by a few cents... But that's not all. When I purchased it, the set actually rang up at $37.87!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Derek...good Sam's Club deal! :emoji_thumbsup:

A side note: I wanted to pick up X-files S7 at BB, but they wouldn't match their own websites price. I understand them not matching other stores websites...but their own?
The thing to do is go home and order it via BB.COM and mark it for in-store pickup. Or, better yet, grab the manager and tell him you are going to do that, and that he can avoid the hassle of inconveniencing you if he just gives you the web price right now.

I did that today at Circuit City. To my great sadness, they have apparently changed their pricematch policy in the past couple of weeks. They say they no longer match anyone without a printed ad. No internet printouts, no looking it up at their in-store broadband demo kiosk. They won't call anyone. They won't pricematch a website price at all, even for instance BestBuy.com. And then I was told that they won't even match their own website's price. I dragged the lady over to their broadband demo kiosk, and pulled up the website's price guarantee that stated that if I order it online and mark it for "express pickup" (picking it up at the local store of my choice, if in-stock), guaranteed I would get whichever was the better of the two prices. She replied that they didn't HAVE an in-store pickup option! I practically yelled at her, "what is it your website is describing, then?" She swiftly gave in and sold me the item at the CC.com website price, however warning me that "next time I'll have to order it online to get that price". My reply was "oh, in the future I'll do that, or else just simplify things and buy it from someone else". She nodded agreement that this was her preference, too.

So much for the great service I've been getting from CC lately...she just threw most of it out of the window with one experience. I will hope this is just one person having a bad day...but she DID quote me a policy change, however, and two other ladies working the service desk spoke up and agreed with her, filling in details. So this looks more like an organizational change, rather than someone in a bad mood. More's the pity.

I had a decent DVD day despite that. I did have trouble finding the new WB SE's anywhere...Wal-Mart didn't have them, a call to Target revealed they weren't there, Costco didn't get them, and Borders had gotten 5 copies of each except OUATIA but their SALE price was $19.99...too high. CC left a bad taste in my mouth, so I skipped them. Besides, BB's price was better on these. Luckily, Best Buy did indeed have stock on them...except OUATIA (noone had that one, that I saw). I grabbed RS and RH:PoT for now, and may go back for the others.

The Paramount markdowns from last week seem to have kicked in. I picked up AI and Barbarella for $17.99 each, and Bad News Bears for $12.99. I also spotted a copy of Nutty Professor (Jerry Lewis) for $17.99, but it was torn up so I left it. Various of these were at various stores, check BB and CC near you.

Borders had the two Brady Bunch films, as I knew they would. I got them for $13.49 each after the coupon. I was also told they had gotten 2 copies of Grease 2 in stock, but they must have had already sold them as they couldn't find them anywhere. Disappointing, since noone else seems to have gotten it yet. Oh, well...the coupon is good through the 15th. Also, there's this new 15%-off coupon that was mentioned in Ed's thread. Despite the "limit" of NYC-area stores only, I doubt the average Borders employee will notice or care. Worth a shot, anyway. :)

I grabbed Buffy at Costco, and that's all. No sign of anything new that wasn't on the Roundup grid. Patrick mentions some other neat stuff Costco got, but they also got in $11.99 copies of the new Blue's Clues and Dora The Explorer titles, as well as the last two SpongeBob SquarePants DVDs for the same price. I should have waited on Dora/Blue...oh, well.

I ended up getting nothing at Wal-Mart...that post which was seemingly directed at me on the other forum showed titles which their in-store at-register list of new DVD releases didn't show! So I don't know if its legit or not. Oh, well.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Hadn't picked up the Buffy Season 3 set, but this deal made it worth getting S3, S4, and might as well get S1 (which I already own). It's essentially free since with the third set you get $30 off. I wouldn't plan on reselling it and further cutting the cost of these two sets, would I? ;)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
David-
You were asking about Fry's...

I picked up the Brady Bunch 2-pack there today for what appears to be their "normal" price of $24.99.

This wasn't a sale price, so if you have a Fry's near you.

:)

Mark

Oh, BTW, I always loved your photo, which I never interpreted as anything other than "see, I'm a happy guy."
:)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I just thought of this for folk who will be picking up all of the first 4 seasons of Buffy at the same time. You might want to ask to open up the season 3 set at the counter and extract the manufacturer's coupon for a few more bucks off of Seasons 1 and 2.

Neil

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
By-the-way, the source for those Paramount title markdowns listed in last week's Roundup must have been bad, because I didn't see a single markdown taken on those. Sorry for steering you wrong...it seemed plausible enough. I guess I'm just too trusting.
Not so fast, Dave. The new MSRPs have taken effect at DVD Empire.

I've linked all of them in a new thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...82#post1599582

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
But wait...there's more!

I just saw the circular for this week's 3 Day Sale at Strawberries:

Prices effective Thursday June 12th through Saturday June 14th.

Buffy Season 4: $39.99
Die Another Day: $14.99
Frida: $14.99
T2 Extreme Edition: $14.99
Tears of the Sun: $14.99

Howie

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Did anyone buy Giant? My disc 1 has no disc art at all (the art on the actual DVD disc). Disc 2 had art. Are they all like this or did I get a flaky disc 1?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The Paramount markdowns from last week seem to have kicked in. I picked up AI and Barbarella for $17.99 each, and Bad News Bears for $12.99. I also spotted a copy of Nutty Professor (Jerry Lewis) for $17.99, but it was torn up so I left it. Various of these were at various stores, check BB and CC near you.

PeterL

Auditioning
:star:

Hey...my first post here....and the obligatory thanx to Dave for helping me spend way more money on DVD's than any normal human should...

I just got an email for Buy.com's 4 hour sale...they have Buffy Season 4 for $39.99 with shipping included...of course it'll take 2 to 3 weeks since they ship it on a slow boat..but I'm in no rush so this seemed like my best deal.

Peter

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Why, sir, I must thank you for spending your very first HTF post on thanking me. Why, 'tis nothing!

Well, not nothing, but thas okay. :D

Welcome to bedlam! ;)

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
FYI - the roundup is incorrect where it states that there is a free movie ticket inside Jungle Book 2. I believe this may be a Best Buy specific promotion, as they were the only ones where I saw it advertised.

I found out the hard way when I went for the low price at Target but didn't get a ticket in mine.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Hey David, I thought I remembered reading months back that your rate of buying was going to slow due to lack of room for new titles and finances. D'ya get a windfall and a bigger house or something :) Doesn't look like you've slowed to me.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks