What's new

Weekly Roundup 6/10 (1 Viewer)

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
In the Best Buy flyer from NY/NJ area ....Buy the James Bond dvd box set (current one) and get Die Another Day for free!

I'm waiting for 2005 but it is a good deal for starters.

David Glenn

Second Unit
David,

I received a response to my inquiry as to why our dvdtalk threads were locked. I was told that "it simply promotes a section over at another web site without providing any info or value to the forum." Oh well, although I'm not sure I understand it, I have to respect their forum rules.

As you said, I would just copy and paste your weekly to a new thread there. As long as there are no links, it should be ok. I'm sure the members there would really appreciate it.

dgc

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
An awful lot of interest in the new Robin Hood SE. Doesn't it bother anyone that it, well, sucks? :p)

Once Upon a Time in America is an automatic for me, though I have to admit I'm tempted by the $5 break at Best Buy if I get Giant as well. Probably just cruise by Target for America only.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
David,i just wanted to say that from shopping at borders in the past, the paramount catalog titles at borders are very limited, meaning try getting there on first day of release or itll be another week till they get bradys in stock again. Knowing my borders they will probably get 7 or 8 copies of each in at the most !

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Robin Hood is a Fun Movie in a Campy Sort of Way... Sure Costner cannot master the englist accent... but Harrison Ford could not do russian in K19 either and that was a decent Flick. Prince of Thieves has good supporting roles in Freeman and Alan Rickman, and it's a good time.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Not quite as obviously dumb as the Brady Bunch situation, but in the ballpark as far as confusion, BB has the "Man With no Name" box set for $25, but all three films are also included in an MGM buy 5 for 30$ promotion. The ad says you need to buy 5 on the same receipt to get the discount, but the website seems to have them for $6 a piece regardless of how many. Titles are:

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good the Bad, and the Ugly
Hang 'em High
The Great Escape
A Bridge too Far
Ronin
Showgirls
Spaceballs
Bandits
The Vikings
Road House
The Battle of Britain
Zulu
Posse
Force 10 from Navarone
Quigley Down Under

Regards,

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
johnrice, it conceerns me!
i have heard it's not a very good film. but i will still like to have it as part of my collection. if i dont like it after seeing it, i'm sure i could sell it to someone.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Why is no one offering a deal on Buffy Season 4 and Angel season 1, when that's a natural because of the crossovers? Everyone's Buffy 4 plus older Buffy....poor marketing plan. I may just wait and buy a used copy.

Thanks for the update, David!:emoji_thumbsup:

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
ARG that deal on all 4 sets of Buffy is SO tempting as i just got into the show watching repeats. I have been thinking about picking 1 or 2 up and now that BB deals comes GRRR. Must Resist! AWWW man who am i kidding i am so weak :frowning:

James St

Supporting Actor
Buy Tears of the Sun for $17.99, and you may also purchase Stripes for $4.99.
Is Stripes OAR? I have a Target across the street from where I work. I plan on buying TOTS there during my lunch break unless Stripes is worth picking up at BB instead.

I noticed you're always last.
I'm pacing myself Sergeant.
MOVE IT!

:D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yes, I am irritated at how bad that Robin Hood movie is. :P

On the other hand, I'm sure that The Right Stuff will make a nice partner for my OUATIT to get the $5 off. (I haven't seen The Right Stuff, but I loved the book.)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Beware though, only around half of the $6 movies are 16:9 anamorphically enhanced though.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hah! They're talking about me behind my back in this DVDTalk thread now! :laugh: :

Oh, well. David Glenn, thanks for trying. I guess they're better off without me. Frankly, I'm better off without keeping up with one more forum.

By-the-way, I started putting a picture of me up there so you guys could put a face on who's providing the info. Noone's ever complained before. I choose that pic just because it was the only one I had scanned that wasn't depicting me as fat, bald, and ugly as I really am. I have that expression on my face because it was my son's 2nd birthday, and he was in my hands to the right of the pic (cropped off, natch...I didn't want the tyke depicted on the 'Net week after week, and he doesn't have a thing to do with the Roundup).

James: Stripes is OAR.

Mark, I agree that a Buffy/Angel combo would have made lots of sense. But I don't expect the marketers at these chains to know that, unless Fox tells them that. Or they just happen to be fans themselves, AND can convince their non-fan colleagues to do it.

This post at DVDFile's forum seems right up my alley...in fact, that's the store I frequent! :) Maybe they finally figured out who I am. :wink:

Too bad Target beats them on JB2 and Old School, that Best Buy wins on Biker Boyz, and the clubs beat out on Frida and Buffy. Those Wal-Mart prices do indicate an 82¢ advantage over Best Buy's $5-off-combo price on Right Stuff and Robin Hood. Marginal, but other Wal-Marts might have the 2-disc SE's for even less.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I guess I won't tell Ken that the only one of those 5 for 30 titles I'm buying is Showgirls (online, of course, to get it for $6).
No No. That's not an issue. One purchase of Showgirls is a forgiveable vice and/or sign of appreciation for bad cinema. 5 purchases, on the other hand, is the stuff of great comedy!

If you are an anamorphic or bust type (I'm not, but that's for another thread), the 16:9 enhanced titles in the BB/MGM promotion are:

The Good the Bad, and the Ugly
Hang 'em High
A Bridge too Far
Ronin
Bandits
The Vikings
Road House
The Battle of Britain
Zulu
Posse
Quigley Down Under

The only other caveat emptor things to consider AFAIK are that there will likely be an extended SE of TGTBATU in the near future and Zulu is mono with only a trailer where other regions have stereo SEs. The Zulu video transfer is very good, though.

Regards,

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I gave them my 2 cents for ya David. Yea, come over here BUDDY!!! I'll show ya smug!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Im so sorry to hear that David, all you were trying to do is show them your appreciation,and they treat you like that. I was thinking about signing up there , but now never !:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks